Support VWWC

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48

Thread: New to me 2010 Tiguan

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    PERTH
    Posts
    55

    New to me 2010 Tiguan

    Apologies for repost as I learn how this forum works!!

    Hello
    Just got second car and first car for daughter a great condition Tiguan 2010.

    151,000km

    Has been well serviced and is in excellent cosmetic condition.

    Roof lining falling off will need doing soon.

    Will probably do DIY oil changes from now on.

    Thinking of DIY doing coolant change and power steering fluid. Are there forum DIY guides?

    Keen to learn from others on two main issues;

    Changing 6 speed auto non-DSG fluid is this recommended since itís a not scheduled service?

    Timing chain. How paranoid about getting it changed should I be? How likely is it the tensioner would have been replaced given early year faults and part updates?

    Recommended online parts suppliers. My other car is a Land Rover so there is excellent parts suppliers in Australia and UK Iíd like to find VW equivalent.

    Thank you
    Richard





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Monaro, NSW
    Posts
    312
    Users Country Flag
    Congratulations on your acquisition. I too have a 2010, and mine is diesel and manual. Two things you might want to keep an eye on is the water pump and air conditioning compressor. On the latter, if you get any sense that the performance of the aircon is degrading, act early to replace the compressor as it will save you money against delayed action.
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    PERTH
    Posts
    55
    Thread Starter

    New to me 2010 Tiguan

    Quote Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
    Congratulations on your acquisition. I too have a 2010, and mine is diesel and manual. Two things you might want to keep an eye on is the water pump and air conditioning compressor. On the latter, if you get any sense that the performance of the aircon is degrading, act early to replace the compressor as it will save you money against delayed action.
    Thank you. Water pump I imagine is a replacement item at time of belt or chain change? Do they leak when failing as a clue to see coolant loss?

    Is the compressor serviceable to some degree? Probably a good idea to recharge system.

    Also, at 150,000km / 10yr is it likely some of these gremlins have passed already? I donít have every detailed receipt.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Perthdisco; 23-03-2020 at 01:47 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Monaro, NSW
    Posts
    312
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Perthdisco View Post
    Thank you. Water pump I imagine is a replacement item at time of belt or chain change? Do they leak when failing as a clue to see coolant loss?

    Is the compressor serviceable to some degree? Probably a good idea to recharge system.

    Also, at 150,000km / 10yr is it likely some of these gremlins have passed already? I donít have every detailed receipt.
    In my experience gremlins donít tend to stick to a timetable, but perhaps there are notes in the log book or maybe within the servicing dealers computer system.

    My water pump failed with a bang at about 95K km, and so I took the opportunity to replace the timing belt at the same time. No telltale signs I'm afraid, just a dramatic temperature rise 20km from my destination after a several thousand km journey.

    The air conditioning was not a matter of the gas, but the compressor destroying its internals. Doubt it is serviceable, but any aircon specialist can advise. As I said, donít wait for destruction as I did, and youíll save money. I had noticed poorer performance, but ignored it till too late.
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    PERTH
    Posts
    55
    Thread Starter
    Thank you

    One last question does the petrol have a fuel filter? Iím getting mixed signals there may not be a traditional in-line one only an unserviceable pre filter in the tank?

    Supercheap does not show up a fuel filter either in the service parts. They do however have a well priced service kit for the auto trans!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    4,973
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Perthdisco View Post
    Thank you

    One last question does the petrol have a fuel filter? Iím getting mixed signals there may not be a traditional in-line one only an unserviceable pre filter in the tank?

    Supercheap does not show up a fuel filter either in the service parts. They do however have a well priced service kit for the auto trans!
    Yes the fuel filter is underneath the car just in front of the rear drivers side wheel. Well this is where is was on my 2010 Golf GTI which is the same engine as the Tiguan so im assuming your car will be the same but perhaps not.

    As for local parts suppliers, RunAutoParts is great for oil/fuel/air filters and other consumables like brake pads etc.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 23-03-2020 at 12:10 PM.
    2015 Mk7 GTI Performance
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    PERTH
    Posts
    55
    Thread Starter

    New to me 2010 Tiguan

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Yes the fuel filter is underneath the car just in front of the rear drivers side wheel. Well this is where is was on my 2010 Golf GTI which is the same engine as the Tiguan so im assuming your car will be the same but perhaps not.

    As for local parts suppliers, RunAutoParts is great for oil/fuel/air filters and other consumables like brake pads etc.
    Thanks

    Great parts site yet nothing for the petrol fuel filter.

    Diesel yes.

    Have seen other VW models on YouTube get the fuel filter changed But now thinking the Tiguan has only the tank screen.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Perthdisco; 23-03-2020 at 07:10 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    PERTH
    Posts
    55
    Thread Starter

    New to me 2010 Tiguan

    Being a 2010 I thought it was a pre 4Motion spec and only FWD however Iím looking underneath there is definitely a rear diff and drive shafts to the rear wheels.

    Can anyone describe how this system works as there is no specific mention in the manual. Is it constant AWD?

    Is there a centre diff?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Perthdisco; 23-03-2020 at 06:18 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pacific Paradise QLD
    Posts
    6,647
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Perthdisco View Post
    Being a 2010 I thought it was a pre 4Motion spec and only FWD however I’m looking underneath there is definitely a rear diff and drive shafts to the rear wheels.

    Can anyone describe how this system works as there is no specific mention in the manual. Is it constant AWD?

    Is there a centre diff?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its a Haldex system Do a wee google on how it works
    2019 Tiguan 162 R line with DAP & Sound & Vision .White.
    Front cam Blackvue 750S and Rear Blackvue DR590-HD.
    2021 Kamiq LE, Moon White, BV cameras back and front
    2010 Polo 77TSI Flash Red, SOLD.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    4,973
    Users Country Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Perthdisco View Post
    Being a 2010 I thought it was a pre 4Motion spec and only FWD however I’m looking underneath there is definitely a rear diff and drive shafts to the rear wheels.

    Can anyone describe how this system works as there is no specific mention in the manual. Is it constant AWD?

    Is there a centre diff?
    Its FWD until it detects slip and then engages the rear wheels.
    2015 Mk7 GTI Performance
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
| |