Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New to me 2010 Tiguan

Well done, you are a great contributor to this forum as well as the many others who have helped you in this thread. I just reread this again & I need to spend some more service time on ours.
    I have posted previously about a service guy [not technician] at a Sydney dealership [before I bought the Tig.] who stripped the thread of the Haldex filler plug in the aluminium housing. It was very difficult to remove because of the necked down recess under the head of the plug that left some housing matl. unstripped. IMO it's very important to take your time, think about the matl that you are working with & use a torque wrench if possible.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    Well done, you are a great contributor to this forum as well as the many others who have helped you in this thread. I just reread this again & I need to spend some more service time on ours.
    I have posted previously about a service guy [not technician] at a Sydney dealership [before I bought the Tig.] who stripped the thread of the Haldex filler plug in the aluminium housing. It was very difficult to remove because of the necked down recess under the head of the plug that left some housing matl. unstripped. IMO it's very important to take your time, think about the matl that you are working with & use a torque wrench if possible.
    Thanks - all very simple and easy so far mainly because of the excellent how-to internet info and videos available on YouTube.

Yes you need to be very careful with all such oil fill&drain bolts and use new washers where possible. Also use small tools and not ones that give lots of leverage or keep your hand close to the bolt being tightened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New rear wheel bearings and now silence has returned to the car. The drone was unbelievably bad above 60kmh.

Quite easy and did not have to remove any suspension components to get at the bolts holding the wheel bearing on.

Need socket extensions and a flex joint though to work around the drive shaft.

Also need the triple square 12 and 14 male sockets for the brake calliper and wheel bearing bolts.

And a big breaker bar.

I’m working up to the RMS replacement as the big DIY project.

Users Country Flag

New to me 2010 Tiguan

Well done sorting the rear wheel bearings.

If and when you gather the courage to tackle the rear main seal, consider the iabed option which is a better design and more durable than the factory VW seal.

Its about $230 and you can get them from AutoInstruct in Melbourne.

iABED Billet Aluminum Rear Main Seal Upgrade – Pre-2013 VW, Audi, Skoda – AutoInstruct
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 12-12-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

New to me 2010 Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Well done sorting the rear wheel bearings.

If and when you gather the courage to tackle the rear main seal, consider the iabed option which is a better design and more durable than the factory VW seal.

Its about $230 and you can get them from AutoInstruct in Melbourne.

iABED Billet Aluminum Rear Main Seal Upgrade – Pre-2013 VW, Audi, Skoda – AutoInstruct
    Thanks for that. I have read the latest version of the VW seal is significantly different from the original with an inward facing lip.

Also - are the any OEM timing chain kit providers in Australia? The complete kit of chains slides tensioner and covers etc. This is probably the most important job I need to bite the bullet on soon DIY or Indy Shop.

Last edited by Perthdisco; 13-12-2020 at 10:28 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Sorry if my reviving this thread from the dead upsets anyone.

Liqui Moly 1800 ATF is a great substitute for Toyota Type IV ATF.

I'll be doing the haldex fluid and filter on my wifes 2013 Tiguan fairly soon,should be fun.

Regards,

Justin.
    Justin - Enthusiast's Warehouse. Need parts? Pm me.
    Cars in the driveway: 2021 Passat B8 RLine 206TSI Wagon, Mk8 Golf 110TSI Wagon, Toyota AE86.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Perthdisco View Post
    Thanks for that. I have read the latest version of the VW seal is significantly different from the original with an inward facing lip.

Also - are the any OEM timing chain kit providers in Australia? The complete kit of chains slides tensioner and covers etc. This is probably the most important job I need to bite the bullet on soon DIY or Indy Shop.
    Sorry - I missed this post. I know you can buy the kits from USA (FCP Euro or ECS Tuning etc) but if you want to source locally I would speak to VAGParts or RunAutoParts.

Looking at VagParts its probably the pick for timing chain components - some of the parts are listed on their website, but not all of them. Probably best to give them a call and ask for a full kit.

Volkswagen Tiguan 5N Parts, Car & Auto Parts - Shop Online Australia – VAGPARTS Australia
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Long time since last update.

Have had the timing chain replaced.

Now rebuilding the vacuum pump which is leaking oil from the top of the engine.

Bought a rebuild gasket kit from USA looks good and cheap.

Just a word of warning as the coolant hoses below were covered in oil. I was wiping them down and the one that goes into the block just fell apart. The plastic fitting that goes into the block was completely failed. It fell apart as I tried to remove it. $37 well worth replacing this part on older cars as will lead to a catastrophic failure.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345