Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Limp mode: "P0299 - 000 - Control Range Not Reached"

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries

I've found this post with a PDF guide on how to do the replacement here - 2008 Tiguan turbo actuator replacement | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

Also good article on "How to test and replace the VNT actuator on mk5 and mk6 TDI engines" but it is for CJAA, CBEA, or CKRA engines where mine is a CBAB so I'm not sure what the difference would be - VNT turbo actuator testing and replacement - mk5-mk6 TDI engine | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

In case that's of interest to anyone here.

Tiguan TDI, 6spd Tiptronic Auto
    Black, sunroof, comfort pack, off-road tech, tan leather, park assist & roof bars.
    Avg 7.63L/100km over 189,000kms

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries

Fixed!

So I shied away from doing the job myself and booked my vehicle in at FST Automotive in Penrith. I showed Frank the VCDS fault code printout, walked him through what I had done as far as diagnosing the problem was concerned, and then told him I thought it was the vacuum actuator attached to the turbo (labeled "1 Vacuum unit" in the diagram below) that was faulty (being very clear that I was not TELLING him what the problem was as I am not a mechanic, I was just passing on the info in case it helped him).

He took a quick look at what I had, asked me a question or two, and immediately agreed that was the likely culprit. So I dropped it off with him on Wednesday and collected the vehicle yesterday afternoon. She drives beautifully again! VERY HAPPY!

Now, I am one of those inquisitive types, so I decided to take the faulty actuator apart to see if I could tell what had failed (even though I was fairly certain it was a small hole or split in the diaphragm), and also to get a better idea of how the unit works. Here's the faulty actuator they removed.

First thing I did was cut off the plastic cover off the top (after trying to see if there was any way of removing it without cutting it... there wasn't)

Not much to see there, so I bent the tabs clamping the diaphragm to the body and folded the diaphragm up (inside out) to see if I could spot the hole/split. The only damage I saw to the diaphragm was from my cutting it open - which makes sense as the hole would have had to be very small to make the high pitched whistling sound I heard.

Under the diaphragm is a spring to push the rod back up when there is no vacuum. Now it makes sense to me how the default position is to have an under-boost situation if the actuator fails as the spring would push the actuator rod up to set the vanes to their least aggressive position if the diaphragm fails. Previously I just assumed that the rubber diaphragm would have returned to it's natural shape itself when not under vacuum, in which was I wondered how safe the engine would be if the rubber diaphragm split or tore. Now I know!

To my surprise, the diaphragm is not make of a thick rubber like I expected. It is a fiber re-enforced rubberised flexible sheet material. I guess that would be more robust and reliable than a thicker rubber diaphragm, but it also makes sense that there might be a very small hole in it that caused the whistle rather than a more major tear.

Anyway, the new actuator is now fitted and with it in place you'd never know that it had been replaced. Good job by the guys as TSF imo!

Black, sunroof, comfort pack, off-road tech, tan leather, park assist & roof bars.

Thanks for posting with pics. & the good news.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Users Country Flag
    How did you find the cost of the replacement compared to the dealers charges ,?

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    How did you find the cost of the replacement compared to the dealers charges ,?
    I called the dealer and they wouldn't even give me an estimate of how much it would be to replace the specific part I told them without first doing an inspection, checking the vehicle service history, etc. I got the distinct feeling they either really didn't want to do the job so were trying to make it as difficult for me as possible, or they wanted to take me to the cleaners by telling me I needed a whole new turbo or something. Back in 2016 when I had a problem with the cooling fan not coming on the dealer wanted to put a whole new cooling fan on, which I declined, took the car home and discovered it was just a blown 10A fuse that needed replacing and the fans worked again. Story here at the bottom of the post - Auxiliary Circulation Coolant Pump

The replacement part (I call it an actuator, but I think VW calls it something else) is OEM and was about $380 I think, and the labour was about $300, so overall the fix came in just under $700. Hefty, but not as bad as it could have been I guess. It's ncie to have the vehicle running properly again!

Users Country Flag

Im doing this myself right now ��

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12