Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have a problem of no speed from the speed sensor while cranking with no start

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Peedee61 View Post
    Hi DV52 I have traced the wiring from the sensor
    • pin 1 in the connector has 5 volt power which is in the engine bay wiring harness,
    • pin 3 has a continuous earth when measured with a multi meter and
    • pin 2 the sensor wire has continuity to plug 60 at pin 54 ,the sensor wire goes to the 60 pin plug at the ecu and joins pin 52.
    I've changed the structure of your sentence above so that I can better understand your words.

I understand your pin #1 and pin #3 test - good results!!

But I don't understand your pin #2 result - how can pin #2 have "continuity to plug 60 at pin 54" AND the wire also "join pin 52" ?

On my Tiggy wiring diagram for the 2.0 ltr Diesel CBAB engine (from May 2010) - T60 /54 (i.e. pin #54 on the 60 x pin plug) is connected to one of the pins on the Coolant temperature sender G62 (which is a 2 x pin temperature variable resistor).

Again, my wiring diagrams for this engine say that the wiring for G28 is entirely independent to G62!! So - there should be no connection between pin #54 and pin #52 on the 60 x pin ECU plug

Quote Originally Posted by Peedee61 View Post
    Now I have a code for Engine speed sensor (g28 p0332 no signal since putting in the new sensor, (which by the way is a pain as you have to remove the oil filter/ cooler housing from the front of the engine to access the Allen key bolt, and there is no way that I can see to alter the sensor to tone ring gap as the sensor bolts to the engine block inside a gap in the bell housing
    So, access to the sensor gap is problematic on this engine. OK - let's not bother with this visual test at this stage in our investigations. Complete my "sensor circuit" test with G28 installed.

If you can't get access to the 3 x pin sensor connector with the sensor installed, you should be able to complete the test by connecting the multi-meter at the ECU plug. Or, you can connect to the wire that terminates onto pin #52. I sometimes use a small sewing-needle to pierce the wire to make contact to the copper strands - but take care not to break any wire-strands (so use the smallest sewing needle)!

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 27-02-2024 at 08:40 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yes I mucked that up in that pin 52 on the 60 pin ecu plug is the signal wire from the G28 crankshaft sensor, and meant to write pin 53 on the 60 pin plug is the earth for a large number of sensors and yes pin 54 is for a 2 pin temperature sensor, I have notes written on a book here but I have numbers and terminal numbers for different sensors all over the page, with lines trying to join them up and make sense of what I need to look at.

iam currently awaiting to hear from a friends grandson to see if I can borrow ( or even if he still has ) one of his grandfathers oscilloscopes, I would ask my friend himself but unfortunately after contracting COVID last year which had him in intensive care for 6 weeks after discharge to home from hospital, within 4 months of this he developed severe dementia and is now in a nursing home at the age of 70 and he had lots of electronics gear as at one stage that was part of his job as he was ex navy some of it he could not talk about but after retiring from the navy he mainly played with computers and televisions

I do appreciate your time and effort

Users Country Flag
    @Peedee61: Arrhhh.......... that's much better -now I understand your pin-out description (and your latest words agree with my reading of the CBAB wiring diagram).

An oscilloscope can be particularly useful in situations where the fault in the sensor affects the running performance of a working engine. However, since this case appears to be one where the engine won't start at all - I'm guessing that the multi-meter test might be sufficient to ascertain if the basic sensor circuit is at least operational between the exchange engine and the factory installed ECUl!

It's not always the case that more sophisticated test devices give better answers!! But again, this is entirely your decision

Don

PS: sorry to read about your friend. We hear lots about COVID itself as a disease these days - but the dangers of long-COVID don't seem to get the same profile!!
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

DV52 I will be trying to borrow or maybe even purchase one off the grandson, of my friend, as I feel it will be useful in the future anyway, my gp last week when I saw him stated that there is another strain of COVID currently running rampant, here in NSW.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12