Thread: Will 9.5" ET35 wheels fit on Tiguan???

Will 9.5" ET35 wheels fit on Tiguan???

Hi everyone,
    I used to have 20x8.5" ET35 wheels on my Tiguan and they fit easily. I'm thinking of getting some new wheels and want them to fill out the width of the wheel arches better as I have the plastic wheel arch extensions and I think that 9.5" would look good in an 18" or 19" ET35, but of course I only want to consider this if it will be 1) legal in NSW (RTA) and 2) not rubbing or hitting on anything in the wheel arch/suspension, etc.

Has anyone got experience with a 9.5" wheel on their tiguan and can comment? Also what size tyres did you use??

Many thanks,
    Dubs

Users Country Flag
    This thread might be helpful to you in regards to fitment...seems as though they should fit without a problem
    VWVortex.com - Tiguan Aftermarket Wheel / Rim Thread

I think part of the issue is that you have the arch extensions and not many here have these.

If you're increasing the width by 1" and staying same offset you'll have 12.5mm more poke. You're best off getting a tape measure and a level and doing the measurement on your current set-up. If you're currently 13mm or more inside your guards then you should be fine with the 9.5".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Thanks tigger,
    I currently have the stock factory 16"s back on again so I guess I will calculate the difference from them. I think the outer poke should be fine, its is the inner extension that I wanted to check on as I don't want the wheels/tyres rubbing or hitting on anything inside or when turning etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    ...You're best off getting a tape measure and a level and doing the measurement on your current set-up...
    I've often wondered where this measurement is made. Is it at centre of wheel height?

Mine seems flush-ish right at the top, but with camber bringing the base of the wheel out & the guard tapering in, there is a bit of pokage at axle height...
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

Quote Originally Posted by Dubs View Post
    Thanks tigger,
    I currently have the stock factory 16"s back on again so I guess I will calculate the difference from them. I think the outer poke should be fine, its is the inner extension that I wanted to check on as I don't want the wheels/tyres rubbing or hitting on anything inside or when turning etc.
    It'd be easier with the wider wheels on to do the measurement as they're a lot closer to the spec you're looking at. I think there's a reasonable amount of room on the inside as I haven't heard of anyone running into issues with clearance here. The only thing that you may have to consider is that if you lower your car that you have sufficient clearance from the top of the tyre to the original body of the car (vertically). The only problem with the guard extensions is that they allow you to install wider rims/tyres, but don't allow you to "tuck". If your new wheel/tyre combo pokes from the main body of the car you can run into issues with it scrubbing on the body when the suspension gets loaded up.

Quote Originally Posted by MGV View Post
    I've often wondered where this measurement is made. Is it at centre of wheel height?

Mine seems flush-ish right at the top, but with camber bringing the base of the wheel out & the guard tapering in, there is a bit of pokage at axle height...
    I think you'll find to be legal that 100% of the wheel must be within the guards. And that's not flush it's a fraction less than flush. Those guys that tuck the top and then have ridiculous amounts of camber still won't be legal. The reason they tuck the top is so they don't get the wheel scrubbing the top of the guard but it's still not a legal set-up.
    Last edited by tigger73; 27-12-2014 at 07:09 AM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    It'd be easier with the wider wheels on to do the measurement as they're a lot closer to the spec you're looking at. I think there's a reasonable amount of room on the inside as I haven't heard of anyone running into issues with clearance here. The only thing that you may have to consider is that if you lower your car that you have sufficient clearance from the top of the tyre to the original body of the car (vertically). The only problem with the guard extensions is that they allow you to install wider rims/tyres, but don't allow you to "tuck". If your new wheel/tyre combo pokes from the main body of the car you can run into issues with it scrubbing on the body when the suspension gets loaded up.

I think you'll find to be legal that 100% of the wheel must be within the guards. And that's not flush it's a fraction less than flush. Those guys that tuck the top and then have ridiculous amounts of camber still won't be legal. The reason they tuck the top is so they don't get the wheel scrubbing the top of the guard but it's still not a legal set-up.
    Ok, yea I understand.
    Im not planning on any lowering, I had the H&R springs in a while back but have since changed back to stock and will stay with that.

I am trying to understand the RTA guidelines for wheel & tyre modifications:
    http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...si-09-rev4.pdf

And can't understand the rules for wheel widths as there seems to be contradictions:
    First this:
    "Minor changes to wheels:
    Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the vehicle can be fitted without the need to notify the RTA.
    The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle."

Then this:
    Front wheel drive vehicles:
    Except where the original manufacturer provides to the contrary, front wheel widths shall be no more than 26mm greater than the widest optional wheel offered by the vehicle manufacturer. This requirement also applies to four- wheel drive vehicles with constant front wheel drive.

And then this:
    "Four wheel drive vehicles:
    Except where the original manufacturer provides to the contrary, the maximum width of front wheels is the lesser of the maximum width for rear wheels or 204mm (8 inches), the front and rear wheel widths must be the same."

So which are Tiguans governed by??

Quote Originally Posted by Dubs View Post
    Ok, yea I understand.
    Im not planning on any lowering, I had the H&R springs in a while back but have since changed back to stock and will stay with that.

I am trying to understand the RTA guidelines for wheel & tyre modifications:
    http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...si-09-rev4.pdf

And can't understand the rules for wheel widths as there seems to be contradictions:
    First this:
    "Minor changes to wheels:
    Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the vehicle can be fitted without the need to notify the RTA.
    The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle."

Then this:
    Front wheel drive vehicles:
    Except where the original manufacturer provides to the contrary, front wheel widths shall be no more than 26mm greater than the widest optional wheel offered by the vehicle manufacturer. This requirement also applies to four- wheel drive vehicles with constant front wheel drive.

And then this:
    "Four wheel drive vehicles:
    Except where the original manufacturer provides to the contrary, the maximum width of front wheels is the lesser of the maximum width for rear wheels or 204mm (8 inches), the front and rear wheel widths must be the same."

So which are Tiguans governed by??
    the tiguan is 4 wheel drive with constant front wheel drive, so its pretty clear.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T