Thread: Hood release - please help

Users Country Flag

Hood release - please help

Hi everyone,

I just went to pull the hood release lever on the passenger side of my Tig then a weird thing happened, the handle pulled all the way back but the hood never popped up. Now the handle is stuck in position and it feels as though all of the tension has gone out of it.

Has this ever happened to anyone here? How do I open my hood now?
    MY11 Tiguan 125TSI | 4Motion | DSG | APR Stage 2 | GolfR IC | HF turbo outlet + throttle pipes | CAI | 3" DP

Ceres_mining_co's Tiguan build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceres_mining_co View Post
    Hi everyone,

I just went to pull the hood release lever on the passenger side of my Tig then a weird thing happened, the handle pulled all the way back but the hood never popped up. Now the handle is stuck in position and it feels as though all of the tension has gone out of it.

Has this ever happened to anyone here? How do I open my hood now?
    Could be the cable has snapped or detached from either end , might have to remove the kick panel hopefully its that end you can then use a pair of plyers to pull the cable to relese the bonett , could be when you had all the front off the cable wasn't replaced correctly ?
    Last edited by ian; 27-09-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    So I took it into the dealer (had my 120k service done last week) and they opened up the trim in the passenger footwell but it was connected at that end so... it looks like they are going to be breaking into the engine bay piece by piece...
    MY11 Tiguan 125TSI | 4Motion | DSG | APR Stage 2 | GolfR IC | HF turbo outlet + throttle pipes | CAI | 3" DP

Ooh that's no good .. they usually break off on the inside i.e. the lever's teeth shear off the female section.

Hope they sort it out for you.
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    Pretty easy to get the bonnet open on these, if the cable has failed.

It may cost you a grille badge though.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
    Ooh that's no good .. they usually break off on the inside i.e. the lever's teeth shear off the female section.

Hope they sort it out for you.
    They sorted it out free of charge, just in time for the long weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Pretty easy to get the bonnet open on these, if the cable has failed.

It may cost you a grille badge though.
    How do you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Could be the cable has snapped or detached from either end , might have to remove the kick panel hopefully its that end you can then use a pair of plyers to pull the cable to relese the bonett , could be when you had all the front off the cable wasn't replaced correctly ?
    It looks like the cable did in fact come off at the kick panel end, I couldn't figure out how to take off the trim so I left it up to them. I think you're on to something, when the headlight came off perhaps the cable shifted when the tension went out of it then when it tensioned it again it moved it out of position.

They sorted it out free of charge, just in time for the long weekend!
    Way to go
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag

It looks like the cable did in fact come off at the kick panel end, I couldn't figure out how to take off the trim so I left it up to them. I think you're on to something, when the headlight came off perhaps the cable shifted when the tension went out of it then when it tensioned it again it moved it out of position.

Your lucky. They didn't charge you. But it was a major drama and your right for the long week end.