Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP wife put Petrol in Diesel tank

Users Country Flag

HELP wife put Petrol in Diesel tank

My wife put petrol in the diesel tank today, about 50ltrs. She did not start it.
    I understand you can bridge the fuel pump relay to pump out the fuel.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to do it please?
    Regds.
    Dave.
    103 TDI 7spd DSG
    Porsche Boxster S 3.2L for sunny days.
    Real 4WD Toyota Landcruiser HZJ105

Users Country Flag
    I think you'll find the dealerships syphon it out through the filler spout with a remote pump.

If you want to use the in-tank pump then run 12v direct from the battery to the terminals on the pump with the appropriate hose(s) diverted to a container.

I doubt you have to get it all out but I'd be wanting to recover at least 95% out of the tank. A few litres of petrol in your diesel shouldn't hurt (IMO).

On the bright side, you have plenty of mower fuel now.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    When Mum did this to my old Jetta, I sat there at the petrol station with the back seat out and hand pumped it out through the top of the tank with a weed killer pump and garden hose attachment... took me about 45 minutes, but I got all 55L of it!

Lol Brad, that'll run a mower for about 6 years.
    I Sell Nissans Skodas.
    IT'S HEREEEEE 18' Skoda Octavia 110tsi Manual Hatch | Race Blue | Tech Pack | Luxury Pack | Panoramic Roof | Turini Alloys | Various VCDS Tweaks | RS Spoiler | Mars Bar Holder
    R.I.P; 13' VW Polo 77tsi Comfortline Manual | Candy White | Sport Pack | Pioneer AVH X3800DAB + Clarion Bass Pack

I think you'll find you cannot syphon via the filler... It's got a bend/anti-theft/gauze filter or something in the tube.. I know my golf(s) did, and the wife's Tig certainly does... I found it a real pain when I wanted to remove fuel that had been sitting in a car in storage.

There's only a few options.... Safest way is to remove the fuel pump in the tank and pump it out by hand/seperate pump like LukePolo did - then remove the tank and drain it/clean it to be sure..

You can run it through the in-tank pump I guess (you can trip it via VCDS), and empty via the fuel rail.... Personally I'd be a bit concerned about this approach as you'll trap all sorts of stuff in the filter etc (the diesel has a big filter in the engine bay).... I wouldn't advocate it.

It's always made me wonder why VW don't put a drain plug on their fuel tanks.... It's such a simple thing, and certainly a simple thing to do after market - at least on cars that have steel/alu tanks.

I'm getting a long range tank installed on my Amarok.. Joy of joys it has a drain plug at the bottom of the tank.
    Last edited by kryten2001; 10-06-2015 at 01:22 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Advice needed, how to drain fuel tank?

Found this link.
    Thanks to all who replied.
    Dave.
    103 TDI 7spd DSG

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kryten2001 View Post

It's always made me wonder why VW don't put a drain plug on their fuel tanks.... It's such a simple thing, and certainly a simple thing to do after market - at least on cars that have steel/alu tanks.

Slightly extra cost for something that will only be used in 1 in 100,000 vehicles? (figure pulled from sky).

Also, it makes it too easy to steal fuel without it being noticed.
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Slightly extra cost for something that will only be used in 1 in 100,000 vehicles? (figure pulled from sky).

Also, it makes it too easy to steal fuel without it being noticed.
    x2
    But yes handy things
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    In workshop land, they operate the in tank pump remotely, via the diagnostic computer. The pump runs at intervals, and the fuel is collected at the coupling next to the brake master cylinder.

I'd be running full tanks for a little while, to dilute any remaining petrol.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    To the OP: When you get your issues sorted it might be worthwhile fitting one of those diesel mis-fueling devices. There's a few threads about them.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Just an update, the cost to drain the tank, replace the filter and refill the tank was $265.
    Dave.
    103 TDI 7spd DSG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast