Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: four year old (50,000kms) Tig with worn suspension - my "new" 2nd hand Tiguan.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

DIY - New LCA bushes, sway bar links and rear shocks..

Hi Guys,
    updating my post about a few worn suspension parts.

I have replaced both trailing lower control arm bushes, both front sway bar end links and the rear shocks.

I have achieved a reasonable improvement all-around which is pleasing. None of the jobs were particularly hard but there are fiddly things.

I used new bolts on the LCA mount (3 per side) and used a sub-frame alignment tool which I bought especially for the job.. I don't think it was entirely necessary because there's more slop around the alignment pin than the two inboard (sub-frame) bolts would permit but it does give you a guide to where you need to be when fitting the LCA mount and something to position the alloy mount over to start the two bolts (it was $33.00 for a kit of 4 but I only used 1 and will have them if I ever mess around with the sub-frame). Will still get a wheel alignment when I go in for a couple of new tires in a fortnight or so.

I didn't think the bushes looked too bad when I took them out and inspected them but I got a better than expected improvement in the drive so they must be bad enough.

Sway bar links also looked okay, but again, I don't feel/hear as much going on over small/medium road cracks and gaps or driveway lips.

Chime in if anyone wants any details.

Cheers,
    Chris

Bilstein B6 for better control, no argument with SWMBO about too stiff ride and full travel stock springs for fast dirt road use pulling a box trailer with 1 or 2 dirt bikes.

So much better in every respect. Grip, stability & especially when fully loaded with roof boot, family, rotting/doberman & trailer.

Took, say, 2000km to settle...bit jiggly at first.

Fitted at 130000km. Around $1000 ebay landed from Germany. Installed at home.

No comparison. Never looked back.

Users Country Flag

Personally I'd swap the OE rear inner front lower control arm bushes for one with more static caster, less movement (so retains dynamic caster) and some anti lift. That'll improve the turn in and decrease the tendency to lift the nose under acceleration. I used the Whiteline KCA316 kit in my son's Mk6 Golf (same kit fits the Tiguan) and the difference is amazing. It's a bolt on replacement, so no need to press bushes in and out. Can be DIY'd, and I checked the wheel alignment after fitting. The bonus was it also removed the excessive toe in, so unless something else is out of alignment, no need to do wheel alignment.
    four year old (50,000kms) Tig with worn suspension - my "new" 2nd hand Tiguan.-kca316-jpg

The rear swaybar is also a worthwhile upgrade, if I remember rightly Whiteline don't make one, but I've seen a H&R rear Tiguan swaybar and it looked a nice fit, 26 mm OD, so a decent upgrade.

Rear shock wise, in dampers you really do get what you pay for, personally I never scrip on shocks, they are a very integral part of any car's suspension. My recommendation would be to do yourself a favour and get a pair of Bilsteins if you intend to keep the Tig for any length of time. The only problem is once you have a set in the rear you'll want a set in the front.

Hope that helps
    Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12