Thread: Drivers Door Lock Failing to unlock

Blog Entries

Drivers Door Lock Failing to unlock

My drivers door lock progressively over 6 months has failed to release when unlocking from the Remote, with all other doors functioning ok. I put it down to typical VW design fault and wear & tear. The problem is the VW dealer could care less when I asked them to check it out, surely I'm not the only ever owner who has this fault. They said to bring it in when it was failing oh yeah thanks, well now I just about can't get the door open which really worries me. I feel it is a lubrication issue but the number of You Tube issues with VW locks lends me to think it's a design fault. A melbourne workshop who deals with VWs has quoted $500 to fit and replace the lock. One way I have been unlocking it is to hold the internal lever as I release or lock the with the remote but this has started to not work making me think something is about to break.
    I have never removed the door trim so at a loss whether to get the non VW workshop to do it (and they will replace the noisy strap (I have the part) for nothing or take it to the VW dealer and stress the safety factor and design issue and ask VW to wear half the cost but the vehicle is 8 years old and they will just laugh at me.
    Any Tiggy owners suffered this crap design failure yet? Thanks.
    TIGUAN MY09 103 TDI auto, White,18in Alloys,MDI ,Bk Leather, Comfort Pack, Park Assist, Fog Lights, Sun-roof & Tow Bar / VW roof racks running Goodyear Assymetric 2 Tyres
    GOLF 7 MY14.5 Pure White,TDI Bi-Xenon, S/roof,Adaptive CC, DAP, Leather, Pirelli Tyres

Users Country Flag
    I believe it's the same part that's used in the MK5 Golf, which commonly fails on those, too.

Cheap enough to buy, if sourced from EBay. Down side is, there's a special release tool to be able to remove the outer handle to swap it over.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Blog Entries
    Thank Umai Naa except I just decided to remove the keyhole cover to manually use the lock and it seems to work OK, so it's just the remote solenoid action perhaps failing or sticking. I have no idea unless I dissect the door inside. I don't feel like forking out $500 if it's not broken. I just endured a reversing light rip off so the Tiggy is starting to become troblesome although I've already done a side mirror & fuel cap release fix myself, sadly after 7years when my ext warranty ran out.
    TIGUAN MY09 103 TDI auto, White,18in Alloys,MDI ,Bk Leather, Comfort Pack, Park Assist, Fog Lights, Sun-roof & Tow Bar / VW roof racks running Goodyear Assymetric 2 Tyres
    GOLF 7 MY14.5 Pure White,TDI Bi-Xenon, S/roof,Adaptive CC, DAP, Leather, Pirelli Tyres

Blog Entries

Checked with Panel Beater today whilst there on another matter. Owner said VWs are notorious for bad design (to break) and fail along with a few other makes. He said only way to replace the mechanism, it's the solenoid release part that has failed in my case so now back to dealer see if he'll match a non VW price, has before!