Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decarb

Users Country Flag

Decarb

I知 decarbing the intake this weekend. I知 not finding a clear way to rotate the cam to ensure closed valves as I progress through the cylinders. Some say turn the alternator but that may throw off the timing. Is this correct? What痴 the best method?

Users Country Flag
    You are overthinking it - there is no way to spray into each cylinder anyway (unless you remove the inlet manifold which i assume you are not doing) so just spray it in there and let it clean what it can...better than nothing.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Negative. Manifold is removed and 3 of the intakes are cleaned. I’ll rotate and clean the fourth tomorrow as well as service the injectors and replace the water pump.

Well how did you do it??
    I wasn't brave enough to do it, but would like to know for the future.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Went well. The carbon build up wasn’t as bad as I was expecting for 144k kms but there was still a good bit. The injectors really needed a clean with most of the holes blocked. The water pump replacement was a little trickery but I managed... you can access the crankshaft from above and make this a one person job. Runs better but I’m still having some random misfire issues. I’m going to replace the PCV as the engine is pulling a fair bit of vacuum... much more than my diesel work truck... and hopefully that’s that. Only forgot to reclip the HPFP low pressure fuel feed line which I discovered on the test drive. Doh! The fuel rail pressure sensor was not fun to disconnect but got there in the end. Insert a small flathead to lift the locking mechanism. Reassembly was quite fast. If I had to do it again it would be a much smoother operation but all in all not bad. ...note that a magnetic wand is essential for not dropping the two 10mm nuts and a couple of bolts and use some bluetac in the 10mm driver when reinstalling. Spent a while searching for a dropped nut, HA!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyyyko View Post
    Negative. Manifold is removed and 3 of the intakes are cleaned. I’ll rotate and clean the fourth tomorrow as well as service the injectors and replace the water pump.
    The fact that you had the intake manifold removed would have been good info to have revealed in your original post, otherwise everyone (including myself) will assume that you are just doing a spray clean via a port on the inlet manifold prior to an oil change like many others do.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    I have seen shocking build up from as little as 80k. Dread to think what our 220k Passat is like. But can't bring myself to do it. When it's also my day job. ��

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sn809 View Post
    Well how did you do it??
    I wasn't brave enough to do it, but would like to know for the future.
    When I did mine I put it in gear and rotated the road wheel. I didn't give a thought to timing chain tensioners not maintaining timing chain tension but I have a Gen1 EA888 BZB block.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    When I did mine I put it in gear and rotated the road wheel. I didn't give a thought to timing chain tensioners not maintaining timing chain tension but I have a Gen1 EA888 BZB block.
    Manual vs Auto??

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sn809 View Post
    Manual vs Auto??
    manual.

Failing that, can't you come in past the wheel and turn the crank bolt? Or turn the alternator?
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast