Thread: clutch pedal to the floor?

clutch pedal to the floor?

recently our Tiguan broke down while my wife was driving. She was on a single lane road in heavy traffic , lots of stop start as there was a detour in place by police due to a fatality on a section of the road we normally travel on.
    while she was going up a steep hill she decided to change back down to 2nd. Put her foot on the clutch to change and the pedal stayed on the floor... she could change gears but the engine just revved when she put her foot on the accelerator.
    The cops helped to get her out of the way of the other cars in the long line etc and I came to render assistance.
    When I got there the pedal had come back up to its normal position and seemed to be working fine. i drove the car home (approx 20 minutes) without any issues.
    I have the car booked in tomorrow for a service and a look at the clutch.

Has anyone had clutch issues similar to this?

Also would anyone know how "intelligent" the system is that monitors the starting of the car with the clutch engaged?
    Is it purely a switch on the clutch pedal? or is it something "smarter" than this?
    If my clutch failed I have no issue with driving without one... but starting the car becomes an unknown..
    1974 1300 Beetle, 1997 Golf GL, 2003 New Beetle Cabrio, 2014 Audi A4 quattro

Happened to me in a Mark IV GTI once, I was able to drive the car home in second gear, however unlike your case the clutch did not return to it's normal position..

I think it was the clutch master cylinder was faulty in the end, replaced that and it was fine..

I would love to know a way around having to step on the clutch to start it as well.. Ive had a quick look in VCDS but couldnt find anything related to it.

Users Country Flag
    Hyundai owners have had that safety feature for over 15 years. None of them have an issue with it.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

thought i would update this post with the info from the mechanic. He searched through the clutch system to see if anything was misaligned or a bracket broken etc... could not find anything that looked like it was rubbing where it shouldn't be or anything out of place. Everything works fine and have been driving the car for a few days now since the service and inspection.
    1974 1300 Beetle, 1997 Golf GL, 2003 New Beetle Cabrio, 2014 Audi A4 quattro

Users Country Flag

Just replaced a clutch master cylinder today on a Golf 6, where the pedal went funny and then stayed on the floor.

The cause was the ball on the end of the pushrod had broken off in the back of the pedal and the pushrod went askew.

Worth looking into, as I'm sure they're the same part.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0