Support VWWC

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CAM chain tensioners failing..... TSI engines.

Got a new Motor!

I've always imagined i would keep my Tiggy for a longish term... This may or may not help my cause!

Here's the condensed version:

About 8 weeks ago, my 'check engine' light came on. I booked my car in to have it diagnosed & while waiting, checked the fault code with an Android Torque-Pro app. 'Cam position correlation error' was the message. The car wasn't driving any differently & i was advised that it would be ok to keep driving it, as it was most likely just a faulty sensor. The day before before i was due to drop the car in to have it looked at, it wouldn't start, so was towed to the dealership.

Finally collected my car yesterday & it is SOOOO good to have it back, as i've been driving a fairly terrible Nissan Tiida for the last 4 weeks...

The determination was that the timing chain tensioner had failed, causing the chain to become loose & further causing catastrophic damage inside the engine...

An entire, completely pre-assembled brand new engine was shipped out from Germany (hence the longish wait) & installed into my car (2 3/4 years old, 59000k's).

Did i mention it was good to have it back?

Warranty covered everything, no questions asked & my contact with 'Customer Care' couldn't have been smoother.
    Camberwell VW were great to deal with again (had a couple of services done there + the wastegate clip & battery earth recall). Highly recommended. Spoke with Daniel there once or twice a week, he kept me up to date with the whole process.

Going Driving!
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag
    Good to hear.

I recall you had a thread about the issue, not so long ago.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Good stuff MGV..... quick question.... what were the symptoms prior to it dying completely?? was there any noisy rattling at startup then it would go away?? was there any rough idle when cold??
    Tiggy 125TSI, 6 speed manual, tints, comfort pack.

Users Country Flag

CAM chain tensioners failing..... TSI engines.

There appears to be a few people posting in various vag forums about having the cam chain tensioner fail on the TSI engine which results in a new engine being required.

It appears there was an updated version of the component released after 2010 but as an owner of a November 2009 build Tig I'm getting a little concerned...
    I have been hearing the odd brief rattle on startup recently.... MGV just had an engine replaced because of a complete failure.

I have seen a pic of a technical bulletin overseas but do VW workshops in AU have this..... or is it another issue everywhere else but here again?? if you know what I'm saying...

Users Country Flag
    It was logging cam position sensor fault codes relating to incorrect phasing, from memory.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Found this.....

Below is an extract from the ELSA electronic documentation. It is from Skoda but same engine..... There is a lot more for this fault, but at least the issue number is on there:- 2024485/5.

This should give the technicians an idea where to look....

Technical product information Transaction No.: 2024485/5
    Damage of timing chain tensioner Release date: 27-Jun-2011
    Customer statement / workshop findings
    Engine cannot be started, the Check warning lamp is on.
    In the engine CU, the following fault is stored:
    • 00022 P0016 CMP Sensor -G40 Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor -G28 Incorrect allocation;

• 00808 P0328 Knock Sensor 1-G61 Circuit High.

Technical background
    Because of the defective function of the timing chain tensioner, the timing chain may get too loose during the start causing a valve timing change. This may result in a contact of valves with pistons.
    Production change
    Reinforced timing chain tensioner – new part 06H 109 467 T.
    It was introduced to series production in CW 20, 2010.
    Measure
    Check, repair:
    1. VAS check, Guided Fault Search.

2. Remove the lower cover of the timing chain (see Elsa); check the timing chain tensioner function by pressing on the tensioning rail of the timing chain (Fig.1) against the tensioner. If the piston is inserted into the tensioner’s body (see Fig.2), the ratchet of the tensioner’s piston or the tensioner’s latch has been damaged. If you do not find a damaged timing chain tensioner even after a repeated check (see Fig.3), continue with point No. 6.

3. If a damaged timing chain tensioner was found, continue with examining pistons and valves (removing cylinder head or using of endoscope).

4. If pistons and valves are not damaged, replace the timing chain tensioner with the part 06H 109 467 T and carry out a new setting of the timing gear.

5. If pistons and valves are damaged, replace the engine.

6. Prior to a new timing chain setting, check the possible seizing of the camshafts. Repair by replacing the damaged parts.

7. If only the timing chain setting is shifted without the above parts being damaged, the fault was caused by exceeding the maximum engine revolutions (see the printout of the fault memory of the engine CU). In this case, a warranty repair is not possible.

Hi Creniac

When starting the car, i seemed to have to let the motor turn over for an extra fraction of a second before it would fire. Perhaps an extra engine cycle or two. Apart from that, there were no unusual sounds or characteristics either at start-up or when driving. Before being towed, Volkswagen Assist (RACV) came out & had a look & the technician said that it sounded like there was no compression... (not sure what that sounds like!)

Something mentioned to me at the dealership was that this was the only time they had ever heard of this happening to a Tiguan. I'm quite confident that the EA888 motor is mainly a strong & reliable motor & this is probably quite a rare, if not only occurrence.

That's correct, Umai Naa!!, the code was P0016 - Cam position correlation error.

Two days later, all is good & i'm enjoying driving it as much as when it new!
    Last edited by MGV; 10-03-2013 at 08:38 AM. Reason: fault code no.

Oh dear, maybe not as rare as i thought...

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Creniac View Post
    There appears to be a few people posting in various vag forums about having the cam chain tensioner fail on the TSI engine which results in a new engine being required.

I have seen a pic of a technical bulletin overseas but do VW workshops in AU have this..... or is it another issue everywhere else but here again?? if you know what I'm saying...
    I've and would definitelly send my customers to get it fixed if the car was still under the warranty, if needed.

Yes, I know what you're saying. We're the small market with the weak or no voice. However if the owners of the affected vehicles set up the face book page and use all the available media to make a bit more noise about it, then maybe the VW would have to recall and replace the faulty/not designed properly component before the damage happens, just to void a bad publicity. I don't believe that someone today would be so naive to even think about that they will gate away with that.

At least everybody with the rattle noise from the engine at the start up, should go to the dealer and get it looked at. If they say there was nothing wrong, get it in writing and make sure that they mention that you're concern about the possible timing chain tensioner failing and destroying the engine. Then if something happen and the car is out of warranty, you're on the top.

That's what I would do.
    Last edited by Transporter; 10-03-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast