Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cam Belt failure advice

Sorry to hear, but given symptoms it was a high probability unfortunately.

Not sure how lucky you feel taking it to the dealer to see if VW will come to the party.

They have been a lot more accepting of goodwill repairs in more recent times. They’ll probably want to charge you for diagnosis.

May be worth a call to VW customer care and run the scenario before paying for another tow truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Just wondering if there is a comprehensive list (there must've been one issued by VAG?) of engine numbers/model years/VINs of affected cars?

If I'm in the market for a used Tiguan I'd be mindful of whether the engine had the older style tensioner and whether it's been replaced.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Breddo View Post
    So the word from the mechanic is the chain tensioner has failed. Cost of rebuilding/repairing is only slightly less than a refurbed engine with only a third of the k’s so I’m going for the new engine.

Apparently getting hold of an engine is a challenge since this seems to be a common issue. Not sure why VW isn’t doing anything to at least inform owners that the tensioner may fail
    I’m having the same problem, I can hear a rattle for a few seconds before oil runs in.

I thought it might be the downpipe because it sounds like it’s coming from that location.
    I’m still driving it until Thursday. Chain tensioner will be replaced then. Hope it doesn’t die before then.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Picked up my Big today. Job was done a few days quicker than I expected and slightly cheaper than quoted so happy all round. The mechanic said he'd just had a caddy come in with the same issue. It had done 70,000k so the owner was going back to VW Australia to try and get some joy.

If your car has just started my advice would be to drive it as little as possible till you get it into the mechanic. I think I had the rattle for less than a week before it failed completely. Once it fails it gets very expensive, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Breddo View Post
    Picked up my Big today. Job was done a few days quicker than I expected and slightly cheaper than quoted so happy all round. The mechanic said he'd just had a caddy come in with the same issue. It had done 70,000k so the owner was going back to VW Australia to try and get some joy.

If your car has just started my advice would be to drive it as little as possible till you get it into the mechanic. I think I had the rattle for less than a week before it failed completely. Once it fails it gets very expensive, good luck!
    Didn’t want to risk it and got advice from mechanic not to drive it. Got a loaner car from brother in law. Happy Days

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12