Thread: Brake Controller - 2010 Tiguan TDI

Users Country Flag

Brake Controller - 2010 Tiguan TDI

I have a 2010 Tiguan 103TDI with a dealer fitted towbar and have been towing a boat trailer (approx 1000kg) with overrun brakes. The

I now need to fit a Brake Controller for our Camper Van (approx AGM 1200kg) which has electric brakes. It appears that the adapter plug (12 pin round to 7 pin flat) has been wired for a brake controller with a blue wire in terminal #5 but not sure if this continues into/onto the vehicle.

My question is where would the Dealer normally run the trailer wiring to connect to the vehicle, I assume there maybe a plug somewhere under the dash?
    I would prefer to have an idea of where to look and what to look for prior to pulling the dash apart. The Brake Controller I think will only need to connect by single wire to the trailer and also + & - for power.

I have tried to search these forums to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

Users Country Flag
    Some VW have a towing pack and the module is in one of the rear corners. DO NOT go DYI if you arent sure of what you are doing especially if your car has parking sensors etc

Which brake controller did you buy as there are good one ad absolute S++T ones still for sale.

You want a proportional controller like a Tekonsha P3 or Prodigy or a Redarc Tow Pro Elite. The cheap dial up brake pressure and hope are terrible despite the fact that someone will post they have had one for 40 years without trouble

VW have a module which disables the rear sensors and auto taildoor and it is advisable to use the factory one. It is not advised to tap into circuits anywhere as you may end up in a world of pain

Electric controllers have 4 wires Red to cold side of brake switch Blue to activate trailer brakes and always on pin 5 Black for power from battery
    and White for earth.
    Is universal across makes
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 25-03-2020 at 05:19 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Some VW have a towing pack and the module is in one of the rear corners. DO NOT go DYI if you arent sure of what you are doing especially if your car has parking sensors etc

Which brake controller did you buy as there are good one ad absolute S++T ones still for sale.

You want a proportional controller like a Tekonsha P3 or Prodigy or a Redarc Tow Pro Elite. The cheap dial up brake pressure and hope are terrible despite the fact that someone will post they have had one for 40 years without trouble

VW have a module which disables the rear sensors and auto taildoor and it is advisable to use the factory one. It is not advised to tap into circuits anywhere as you may end up in a world of pain

Electric controllers have 4 wires Red to cold side of brake switch Blue to activate trailer brakes and always on pin 5 Black for power from battery
    and White for earth.
    Is universal across makes
    Thanks Hillbilly for your response

Haven't purchased a Controller yet but looking at one of the Tekonsha Proportional Brake Controllers.
    My Tiguan doesn't have any parking sensors or auto rear door (neither were available in 2010) and couldn't see any modules etc in the rear corners.

Was just trying to clarify as I already have VW Trailer wiring installed if this runs to the dash or not and were it should be

Users Country Flag
    If you already have it wired it may just be hook up and go Best check at a dealers rather than pull it apart maybe unnecessarily

A Tekonsha Prodigy is a good model The P3 is the same with a few fancy bits that you dont need.

Easy way to find out is if you know how to work a multi meter just test with putting brakes on and see if you have power .

Do you mean trailer wire at the rear or right through as normally you only run the blue wire to the rear. VW's usually have a kit that runs through and you just plug in at the rear somewhere As I say check with dealer because they dont like circuits being piggybacked onto.. A factory towing module can be $600

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks again Hillbilly

The Tekonsha Prodigy has an additional wiring kit (approx $200!!) that is plug & play that plugs into a Cig lighter for power & connects between the vehicle & trailer plugs.
    If my Tiguan is already wired I can not only avoid running this additional wiring kit but also save $200 which is almost twice the cost of the unit itself.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MartinJ View Post
    Thanks again Hillbilly

The Tekonsha Prodigy has an additional wiring kit (approx $200!!) that is plug & play that plugs into a Cig lighter for power & connects between the vehicle & trailer plugs.
    If my Tiguan is already wired I can not only avoid running this additional wiring kit but also save $200 which is almost twice the cost of the unit itself.
    If it is a dealer can look it up and tell you exactly what it has

Eg in mine's spec sheet it says this

1M5 VWGROUP AHV Trailer hitch preparation Which I take to mean it is wired for towing a trailer

A dealer can look up on ODIS and tell you every single thing your car has or hasnt got when it was built