Thread: Best Tiguan model for under 20k

Best Tiguan model for under 20k

Hi all!

I'm looking to purchase a used Tiguan under 20k.

Just seeing if any recommendations on which one to go for?

- Mostly 10-45 minute drives, probably under 5-10k km/year . Intend to hold for 5 years or so.
    - Prefer good safety and tech like front and rear parking, rear camera, park assist, tyre pressure sensor, rain sensing wipers,
    - Replaceable head unit (for Apple CarPlay, think will need to upgrade at whichever model at this price point)
    - Preferably good fuel economy of course
    - Prefer a sunroof

There are a lot of cars and models and can be quite overwhelming so the top one to go for would be super helpful. I used to drive a 2015 Fabia, which was great, but the size and comfortable seating of the Tiguan are a big improvement.

Thanks in advance

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Hi all!

I'm looking to purchase a used Tiguan under 20k.

Just seeing if any recommendations on which one to go for?

- Mostly 10-45 minute drives, probably under 5-10k km/year . Intend to hold for 5 years or so.
    - Prefer good safety and tech like front and rear parking, rear camera, park assist, tyre pressure sensor, rain sensing wipers,
    - Replaceable head unit (for Apple CarPlay, think will need to upgrade at whichever model at this price point)
    - Preferably good fuel economy of course
    - Prefer a sunroof

There are a lot of cars and models and can be quite overwhelming so the top one to go for would be super helpful. I used to drive a 2015 Fabia, which was great, but the size and comfortable seating of the Tiguan are a big improvement.

Thanks in advance
    132TSI Pacific would be the 1 i'd recommend. Its the 6spd auto (not DSG) and provided the timing chain/belt has been done should be trouble free for a good while. Its pretty loaded with tech and has auto lights and wipers.

There are 11 under $20K on Carsales and some even with less than 100,000km.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    I would go for the 2.0 litre petrol 4 cylinder turbo engine (known as the 132TSI and the 155TSI). Both the 132TSI and 155TSI have the same engine, but the 132TSI is detuned. Avoid at all costs the lower spec model known as the 118TSI as these engines have a very high catastrophic failure rate.

The diesel 2.0TDI would have the best overall fuel economy, but diesels do not like short trips, so unless you regularly do 30+ minute trips on the motorway then I would not recommend a modern diesel to you. You will end up having issues which will outweigh any fuel savings.

You can easily and cheaply upgrade to a RCD330+ head unit (genuine VW head unit used in overseas models) which gives you CarPlay.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    I would go for the 2.0 litre petrol 4 cylinder turbo engine (known as the 132TSI and the 155TSI). Both the 132TSI and 155TSI have the same engine, but the 132TSI is detuned. Avoid at all costs the lower spec model known as the 118TSI as these engines have a very high catastrophic failure rate.

The diesel 2.0TDI would have the best overall fuel economy, but diesels do not like short trips, so unless you regularly do 30+ minute trips on the motorway then I would not recommend a modern diesel to you. You will end up having issues which will outweigh any fuel savings.

You can easily and cheaply upgrade to a RCD330+ head unit (genuine VW head unit used in overseas models) which gives you CarPlay.
    Just what I needed, thanks so much for your help! Will base the search on these models.

Users Country Flag

We just purchased a 2014 (MY15) 155TSI R-line, has all the bells and whistles. Although most are in mid $25k range. Should have all the tech you need as they mostly come standard, with the exception of the Panaromic sunroof.

Headunit can easily be upgraded to a RCD330 with Carplay or Android Auto. Although from my research it's not plug and play with the OEM rear view camera and may miss out of featues like the dynamic lines etc.