0 0%
  • VIEZU

0 0%
  • Underground Performance

2 40.00%
  • RD Technik

1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Best ECU Tune for gen1 Tiguan (2.0 TSI)..?

Users Country Flag

Smile Best ECU Tune for gen1 Tiguan (2.0 TSI)..?

First up let me apologize for a topic that has probably been done to death..

I am new to Tiguan ownership and quite happy with our MY10 Tiguan 2.0 TSI (125kw). (engine code CAWA).
    Been trying to research a good ECU tune to hopefully smooth out the acceleration as the standard VW tune feels quite restricted/retarded..

I have read through countless posts on vww and other sites but there are so my tuners out there that I don't know which to consider.. (only looking for a Stage 1 tune).
    I'm not after lots of power, I'd probably be happy enough if I could put the VW 155 tune on it..
    (also an improvement in fuel economy would be nice..)

The list I have so far is thus;
    APR Tuning.
    Oettinger.
    SuperChips.
    DNA Tuning.
    GIAC usa.
    Evolve Technik.
    BSR Tuning.
    Underground Performance.
    VIEZU.
    RD Technik.

Any advise/experience is appreciated.. cheers

If you’re in Melbourne you’ve got a range of choices. I know RD Technik have a 25% off sale on at the moment.

For stage 1 you’ll find all the major tuners within a few kw of each other.

Superchips/bluefin are generally a lower output file - similar to JB4 tuning boxes.

Oettinger I think are really for diesel or at least I haven't seen many people running their petrol tunes.

APR are pretty tried and true.

The only one you don't have on the list are Revo which are also pretty reputable.

Haven't heard of BSR.

Veizu doesn't exist anymore - at least not in Australia

If you have DSG I’d seriously consider getting the transmission tune also as this greatly improves drive ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tigger73; 06-03-2019 at 04:56 PM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    I've personally had 2x of my own cars tuned with DNA Tuning, and several friends and family have also. No issues at all, well priced and great performance.

Otherwise, Underground Performance would be my pick.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Where are you located?

I would suggest to pick a tune that has good support from the company and the people who tune/load it.

I have personally gone stage 2 on my 2013 petrol Tiguan with GIAC which was loaded by exoticars in Parramatta. No issues so far and the upgrade tune from stage 1 to stage 2 was free of charge.
    You will find that some companies charge another fee if you were to go stage 2 in the future.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the information all..

Couple of questions;
    What is meant by a lower output file "Superchips/bluefin are generally a lower output file - similar to JB4 tuning boxes"..?

DNA Tuning don't appear to be currently available,,
    Email response;
    "
    Thank you for contacting DNA Tuning Australia.
    Please be informed that DNA Tuning Australia is currently undergoing a business restructure and transfer of ownership in order to expand and improve its services in the future.
    During this time, we sincerely appreciate your patience in any delays there may be in our response to you.

Kind Regards,
    John & Andre @ DNA Tuning Australia "

As I'm in Melbourne I see there a a lot of turner's around - hence the confusion.
    i.e. how different is a $625 Superchips tune compared to a $1430 Evolve Technik tune..
    APR, REVO and RD Technik are around the $1125 mark.

Our Tiguan is just the 6 speed auto so no DSG tune..
    (engine code CAWA)

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by VW3 View Post
    Thanks for the information all..

Couple of questions;
    What is meant by a lower output file "Superchips/bluefin are generally a lower output file - similar to JB4 tuning boxes"..?

DNA Tuning don't appear to be currently available,,
    Email response;
    "
    Thank you for contacting DNA Tuning Australia.
    Please be informed that DNA Tuning Australia is currently undergoing a business restructure and transfer of ownership in order to expand and improve its services in the future.
    During this time, we sincerely appreciate your patience in any delays there may be in our response to you.

Kind Regards,
    John & Andre @ DNA Tuning Australia "

As I'm in Melbourne I see there a a lot of turner's around - hence the confusion.
    i.e. how different is a $625 Superchips tune compared to a $1430 Evolve Technik tune..
    APR, REVO and RD Technik are around the $1125 mark.

Our Tiguan is just the 6 speed auto so no DSG tune..
    (engine code CAWA)

Cheers

Superchips power output is lower than most of the other tunes you’re looking at but for $625 I guess if you’re down a few kw then you can’t really complain.

If you’re only ever going to do stage 1 and are on a budget it’s probably a reasonable option. They have been around a fair while.

I’m not sure whether there’s anything you can get for a transmission tune on the auto boxes.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    I have used Underground Performance for my tune they don't just flash your ecu and send you on your way it's done on a dyno and multiple runs are done to get the best tune
    They upload the generic stage 1 tune as do all the others then fine tune it to your car with a half dozen or more runs on the dyno on my diesel it picked up a extra 5kw and 20nm of torque with a smoother power delivery

Could not be happier with them
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

I must say, when APR agent in Melbourne's east tuned mine around 7 years ago, I wasn't overwhelmed with confidence... The business owner/tuner was away & the mechanic who loaded the file gave me the impression he was computer-illiterate. He was on the phone to his boss twice & I overheard him saying things like 'nah that didn't work' & 'what do I do next'?

It all worked out in the end, I just remember being rather dubious at the time...
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

Users Country Flag

hey MGV, would you happen to have had the APR tune with 4 program modes? i was just wondering what the order was as I seem to have misplaced the manual which had it filled in at the last page...