Thread: Back in a Tiguan? - advice needed please

Users Country Flag

Back in a Tiguan? - advice needed please

Hi folks, been a few years now since I've been here. I bought one of the first 125 Tiguans back in 2008 and it was the one that Hardings used to build the first remap. Anyway, 4 cars later, I now need a second car and the Tiguans seem to be really good value, and I did really enjoy mine back in 2008. The only problem with it was the clutch and after fitting a new one and selling it, I bumped into the person that bought it from me about 12 months later, and they said it had cracked a manifold and stopped on the way to Brisbane!

Anyway, I've found a 147TSI with DSG with just over 106,000k's and after your opinions please. I probably won't be remapping it as it will just be a run-around, but it will need to occasionally tow an RIB (about 650kg). I was after a manual, but worried about the clutch from my first Tig, and of course, also worried about the DSG towing 650kg. Any advice, thoughts updates on reliability etc, would be really appreciated.

If you're still around, hi to Sharkie, Albonau, Team V and any of the others that I got to know all those years ago! This was always a great forum for sure!
    cheers - Clip (John)

Welcome back clip. I think you sold your Tig not that long after I bought my first one.

If you're going to be doing occasional towing the 147TSI with DSG should be fine. It is rated up to 2,000kg towing capacity so 650kg should be well within it's capability. However that spec is often a bit misleading as the maximum towball weight is only 80kg(?)

Just be aware that there's a major service around the corner so factor that in when negotiating a price. Having said that you can buy a fair bit of car for your money now.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Hey clip, welcome back!

If I were you I’d be looking for a 2012ish 132TSI Pacific model with the 6spd tiptronic auto, which was available for a short time.
    It would tow better, be more reliable and smoother to drive. Would also handle the mandatory tune better.
    Low kms <100K kms and less than $20K from what I could see on Carsales.
    The Pacific was pretty loaded spec wise too.

Alternatively I’d recommend an Amarok ..... petrol or V6 diesel only

BTW, I'm still around with my Amarok (love it) and soon into a new Polo (MY18 ) or 2 with the kids who are now of driving age. Otherwise, satisfying my mid-life crisis with a tuned Mustang ......
    Last edited by Sharkie; 16-10-2017 at 09:33 AM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi tigger and sharkie! Thanks for your thoughts guys. I hadn't looked at the Pacific. I think the tiptronic would be better option than the DSG for towing. Hadn't thought about tow ball weight tigger, I guess I would need to check that out though and see how the boat is setup on the trailer.

The other car I'm looking at is the Volvo XC60 T6. Stonking turbo straight six (224kw, 440nm), AWD, good handling, good prices and value for money, but I've just never seen myself in a Volvo - I'd have to get a new / old hat
    Also have a mate who's wife is selling her BMW X5 3.0SD - twin turbo, etc etc. But I don't really want a diesel or that size car. Good price though, low k's and around $30k.

I think I'll check out the Pacific. Is everyone using HP for remaps? Or something better out there now?

"satisfying my mid-life crisis with a tuned Mustang ......" that made me laugh, you just can't help yourself Sharkie!

Just keep in mind that the auto slush box is quite a bit slower than the DSG... but agree with Sharkie that would be the box to get if you're going to be using it for towing. That along with the 130TDI motor.

But if it's only occasional like a few times a year then go for the petrol and tune it

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build