Thread: Auxiliary Circulation Coolant Pump

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries

Auxiliary Circulation Coolant Pump

It's been a long time since I've been on here, but hopefully Transporter and/or other mechanically proficient members are still active and able to help. My Auxiliary Circulation Coolant pump has failed according to the VW diagnostic scan. The spare part alone from VW is $500 odd but you can buy Bosch pumps off eBay for much less than that. I figure changing the pump myself won't be too hard, but I just need to find it. Any suggestions where it is located? Do I access it from above under the bonnet, or do I need to climb under the vehicle and get to it from below? Left side, right side, or centre of the engine bay? Front or rear of the vehicle?

Thanks in advance!

Tiguan TDI, 6spd Tiptronic Auto
    Black, sunroof, comfort pack, off-road tech, tan leather, park assist & roof bars.
    Avg 7.63L/100km over 189,000kms

This aux pump was changed under a service campaign on my Tiguan. Check to see if its still eligible
    TDI tiguan in the drive. ParkAssist, comfort, fogs
    Service every 15,000, new fault code every 7,500km

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanman View Post
    This aux pump was changed under a service campaign on my Tiguan. Check to see if its still eligible
    I've searched and cannot find any such campaign. Do you have any details?

Black, sunroof, comfort pack, off-road tech, tan leather, park assist & roof bars.

Users Country Flag
    He might mean the actual water pump - they had issues.

The aux pump is called the V51 pump. I can't find a diagram but have a look near where the coolant hoses for the heater disappear into the fire wall.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries
    I thought I would update this thread in case it is of use to someone else in the future.

The pump replacement number is 5N0 965 561.

I believe you can get a Bosch one online (eBay) for much cheaper than VW sells it. This is the electrical connector plug that is probably the most important bit when getting a non-genuine pump.

Here's a few different angles of the pump for you.

The pump is located under the radiator pretty much in the center of the vehicle (Red arrow points it out).

I tested the one that came off on the bench and it was indeed dead, so I'm glad there's a new one on. But in spite of the new pump being fitted the cooling fans did not come on and the engine light was still on in the dash (even after clearing error codes). The fans won't come on immediately when idling until the temps get high enough. But they are meant to come on as soon as you turn the Air Conditioner on. So I turned on the AC and the fans still didn't come on. VW wanted to sell me an entire new set of radiator fans for over a grand, so I politely declined. My logic deduction lead me to believe there must be a fuse protecting that circuit and the fuse might be blown, so I asked them to check that. They assured me they had checked and all the fuses were fine. The manual is useless in helping identify the right fuse, so I systematically pulled every fuse and checked if they were blown or not. None in the fuse box inside the vehicle were blown, so I set about going through the fuse box in the engine bay. Eventually I came across a blown 10A fuse, so I replaced it and tested the system again. Well, blown me down with a feather, the fan now comes on when I turn on the AC. So I saved a grand by replacing a cheap fuse! As a matter of interest, here's the fuse you're looking for if you ever have this problem.

The engine light was still on in the dash though, so I cleared the error codes again with my VCDS cable and started the engine again - no more lights. I turned the AC on and off a few times to ensure the fan did start like it should and that the error light didn't come on again. SO I think it's fixed. There is a chance there is some cable damage or something that shorts and blew the fuse, so I'll keep an eye on this. If the fuse keeps blowing I will have to start investigating closer.
    Last edited by Arctra; 06-04-2016 at 08:15 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctra View Post
    I thought I would update this thread in case it is of use to someone else in the future.

The pump replacement number is 5N0 965 561.

I believe you can get a Bosch one online (eBay) for much cheaper than VW sells it. This is the electrical connector plug that is probably the most important bit when getting a non-genuine pump.

Here's a few different angles of the pump for you.

The pump is located under the radiator pretty much in the center of the vehicle (Red arrow points it out).

I tested the one that came off on the bench and it was indeed dead, so I'm glad there's a new one on. But in spite of the new pump being fitted the cooling fans did not come on and the engine light was still on in the dash (even after clearing error codes). The fans won't come on immediately when idling until the temps get high enough. But they are meant to come on as soon as you turn the Air Conditioner on. So I turned on the AC and the fans still didn't come on. VW wanted to sell me an entire new set of radiator fans for over a grand, so I politely declined. My logic deduction lead me to believe there must be a fuse protecting that circuit and the fuse might be blown, so I asked them to check that. They assured me they had checked and all the fuses were fine. The manual is useless in helping identify the right fuse, so I systematically pulled every fuse and checked if they were blown or not. None in the fuse box inside the vehicle were blown, so I set about going through the fuse box in the engine bay. Eventually I came across a blown 10A fuse, so I replaced it and tested the system again. Well, blown me down with a feather, the fan now comes on when I turn on the AC. So I saved a grand by replacing a cheap fuse! As a matter of interest, here's the fuse you're looking for if you ever have this problem.

The engine light was still on in the dash though, so I cleared the error codes again with my VCDS cable and started the engine again - no more lights. I turned the AC on and off a few times to ensure the fan did start like it should and that the error light didn't come on again. SO I think it's fixed. There is a chance there is some cable damage or something that shorts and blew the fuse, so I'll keep an eye on this. If the fuse keeps blowing I will have to start investigating closer.
    What pump did you end up buying? I can't seem to find any bosch's only Pierburg or chinese branded parts.

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries
    I got whatever VW had in stock. Sorry, can't be much more help than that.

Users Country Flag
    I'll check with my local part supplier for a price. Thanks man

[QUOTE=Arctra;1179733]I thought I would update this thread in case it is of use to someone else in the future.

It is of interest to me, thanks Arctra.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Arctra View Post

Not having all the numbers in the same orientation would do my head in...
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums