Support VWWC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone used Bridgestone D693 tyres?

second that

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Dean, I would get Bridgestones,

Our Forester came originally on Bridgestone D694 tyres and they lasted over 50,000km. Tread pattern is similar to D693 and tyre has the same features as D694 (as per Bridgestone website). D694 are superbly quiet and have good handling.
    I tried Pirellis twice and at 148,000km on the Forester I bought Bridgestone D694 again, 3 weeks ago,
    (the last set of tyres for that car).
    A friend of mine has had 3 sets of D694, twice on Mazda Tribute and now on Landrover, swears by them. While he does go offroad, his daily drive is up and down a range to work on the coast, and he claims, like Transporter above, they are quiet, good wearing (he got 60k) and drive well both off and on road.

I had a look at them for the Tig, they come in 235/something 16s, and would be a good fit. Their 235 is not as wide as some other tyres, and would go well on the Tig I think.

best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Arctra View Post
    Not sure what the difference between the D694 and the D693 is other than the size options and the fact that the 694 is not made in Aus. Seems to support your advice Miro so thanks for that.
    Slightly different tread pattern, yes country of origin, internal construction, there's also the difference between getting a "P" passenger rated tyre or "LT" Light Truck rated tyre within all of the choices available.
    There will forever be a debate over tyres, whether it's for small SUV's like the Tiguan or larger offroad 4WD's - it is very personal a choice, as my driving may be different to yours and the terrain I intend to use the car on may be different, the percentage of time on road vs off road, what type of off road? etc etc...
    Different people have different criteria on what they think is important to them.
    Maybe check out some of the more-offroad dedicated forums and see what they say about the various tyres too.
    2010 Candy White TDI Auto, black leather, bi-Xenons + fogs, DVD plus other gadgets and gizmos to keep the kids quiet!

Speedo Calculator

Have a look at this java base calculator to see the diff in rolling diameter and hence speedo difference. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
    Because some manufacturers actually under calibrate the speedo you'll actually be doing less k/hr than the speedo reads. I have driven a work mates Prado which has slightly oversized tyres and now when the speedo reads 100k/hr so does the GPS. But someone with a Tig and a GPS preferably and after-market one (so that the the electronics don't talk to each other) would need to do the experiment as to whether VW has under calibrated the speedo.
    Last edited by landtig; 16-10-2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: left out link

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries
    Hi all - long time since I've done any decent postings here... thought I would resurect this ancient thread I started as it seems I am close to needing some new rubber. (Well, that's what the dealer told me yesterday when i had the 45000km service done anyway - just before they tried to sell me the Dueler HP's the "just happened" to have in stock :-P )

I did a quick serach around the forum and it seems Jimbomort and potentially T&M are the only guys that have seriously considered some more offroad capable tyres for their Tigs. Before I start ringing around though, I just wanted to find out if there was any new knowledge out there? My shortlist at the moment is:
    Bridgestone D693 - 215/65R16: Same size as stock tyres, pretty cheap, and decent offroad tread. Opinions seem to vary on their durability though, and they aren't giving me any "lift".
    Bridgestone D694 - 215/70R16: Pretty much an Aussie made D693 with a slightly higher profile which would give some lift.
    Pirelli Scorpion ATR - 225/70R16: Just a bit bigger than stock but still within the "legal" threshold. Good reputation and tread pattern. Don't know about cost, but I really like the look of these.
    Cooper CS4 - 235/60R16 or 225/70R16: Very durable tyres, but from chatting with those that have Coopers the harder rubber means wet weather performance isn't great. Also, this is not really a dual terrain tyre, it's very much road biased.

Anyone have opinions, hints, tips, or suggestions? Especially on places that have good prices (in Sydney)?

Tiguan TDI, 6spd Tiptronic Auto
    Black, sunroof, comfort pack, off-road tech, tan leather, park assist & roof bars.
    Avg 7.63L/100km over 189,000kms

Users Country Flag
    Hi Dean, it's hard to pick from the 3 brands you posted. But for off road, I would go with the Pirellis unless you drive a lot in the sand then Bridgstone would be my pick. I would save the Coopers CS4 for on road use only which means extra set of rims.

Users Country Flag
    Hi Arctra
    Not sure about the exact compound I had on an XTrail but they were Bridgestones 16 inch rims and original tyres. I got 90,000 k"s out of them. Original tyres made in Japan, nice and quiet and good on the sand too.
    As for price, my son changes tyres like I change socks and he swears by Tempe Tyres.

friends at home have had D694 on Mazda Tribute (doing off-road trips) and Rav 4 and have been very happy with wrt road-noise and wear. I looked at them for Tig at 235/60/16 but found them a bit expensive (around $300 at the time)

cheers
    White 3-dr Polo GTI
    Tiguan 189TSI

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries
    Well, yesterday my girlfriend picked up a big piece of metal in the rear tyre which rendered it useless. So I took the jump to a new set of tyres early (well, about 10000km's earlier than I hoped anyway). I decided to go with the Pirelli Scorpion ATR 225/70R16. They are definitely visually bigger tyres as you can see in the pics below. The guys that changed them (Jax Quickfit in Haberfield) checked that there was sufficient clearance all around with 1 tyre before they changed the other 3 for me. The clearance is pretty good IMO.

Black, sunroof, comfort pack, off-road tech, tan leather, park assist & roof bars.

Users Country Flag
    They look good. Is there any difference in the noise level inside the car compared to stock tyres? I will be getting new tyres for our Touareg and Scorpion ATR are on my list.

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    They look good. Is there any difference in the noise level inside the car compared to stock tyres? I will be getting new tyres for our Touareg and Scorpion ATR are on my list.
    They were only fitted yesterday afternoon, and I am yet to drive with them on (my girlfriend uses the car most of the time now). I am quite concerned about noise, so will tell you after the weekend once I've had a chance to test tehm out. From teh reviews I've read, and just looking at the agressiveness of teh tread, I don't expect there to be a problem. I would say teh tread is more agressive than teh Dueler H/T tyres that came with the Tig, but they are still a long way off noisy mud tyre treads.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast