Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Anyone towing 1200kgs+ with Tiguan?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    357

    Anyone towing 1200kgs+ with Tiguan?

    I have been toying with the idea of trading our Jetta TFSI (2.0T) in on a Tiguan 147TSI (same engine) or 125TDI.

    Main reason is we now have a 1200kg offroad camper trailer, and obviously the Jetta cannot tow that. We have a real 4x4 for the hardcore offroad, but for gentle excursions to a National Park, a Tiguan could be the ticket - rather than taking the hardcore 4x4 (which is not all that comfortable for touring, I must admit).

    However, our trailer is quite large (5.1m long, 1.8m wide, 1.6m tall) and heavy (1200kgs, probably closer to 1300 or 1400kgs when fully laden). While the Tiguan is rated to 2000kgs, anyone towed anything substantial with it? How does it go? Can you hold 100-120 km/h with it in tow?

    I am also a little put off by the 100kg drawbar limit. Our trailer comes in at probably just a little over that as is, and even rejigging it we would be right on the limit. I am also concerned about how much the rear springs would sag with that much on the towball and a load inside (2 adults, 2 kids, clothing etc).

    Anyone had an electric brake controller fitted?

    So, anyone done any towing and care to comment?
    07 Jetta TFSI | 18" Charlestons | Blue Graphite

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    238
    Users Country Flag

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,518
    Crazy isn't it - the jetta will tow up to 1400kg braked, but I think the drawbar limit on it is only 70 or 80 or something silly...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    1,275
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mickofoz View Post
    what's with the tig"U"un pronunciation? I thought it was tig"w"arn is in ig"W"arna?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    1,275
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DionM View Post
    I have been toying with the idea of trading our Jetta TFSI (2.0T) in on a Tiguan 147TSI (same engine) or 125TDI.
    Just buy a 125TSI and have it remapped. That will give you 190kw and 400Nm (think common 6cyl's- but with more torque than most of them). Should then tow your trailer at pretty much any speed you like to cruise on -with more in reserve, and it'll pull you up all the hills without having to change down too many gears.
    Last edited by clip; 02-11-2009 at 06:25 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    357
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by clip View Post
    Just buy a 125TSI and have it remapped. That will give you 190kw and 400Nm (think common 6cyl's- but with more torque than most of them). Should then tow your trailer at pretty much any speed you like to cruise on -with more in reserve, and it'll pull you up all the hills without having to change down too many gears.
    There's more to it than just raw power and torque though - that is only part of the equation.

    I'm interested in how the Tiguan handles a big load behind it. More power and torque doesn't change the way the vehicle responds to having full downball weight on the towbar, for example. Doesn't affect how stable (or not) the vehicle feels at high speed either.

    Also not keen on remapping for a number of issues, including warranty and support for low quality diesel in remote areas. But that's my own opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by mickofoz View Post
    Thanks mate - will check it out when I get home from work (youtube blocked here).
    Last edited by Arctra; 03-11-2009 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts
    07 Jetta TFSI | 18" Charlestons | Blue Graphite

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,712
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DionM View Post
    There's more to it than just raw power and torque though - that is only part of the equation.

    Also not keen on remapping for a number of issues, including warranty and support for low quality diesel in remote areas. But that's my own opinion.
    I believe Clip was talking about your choice of the 147 over the 125 rather than the actual towing capability.

    The chip provides a better fuel consuumption, more even power figures and a bigger, more even torque curve which will result in a more driveable and tow-capable vehicle in regards to pulling weight.

    The availability of fuel is a minor concern as they are making 95/98Ron the standard for unleaded in the next year or two.
    Diesel isn't an issue with the 125/147

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    1,275
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by team_v View Post
    I believe Clip was talking about your choice of the 147 over the 125 rather than the actual towing capability.

    The chip provides a better fuel consuumption, more even power figures and a bigger, more even torque curve which will result in a more driveable and tow-capable vehicle in regards to pulling weight.

    The availability of fuel is a minor concern as they are making 95/98Ron the standard for unleaded in the next year or two.
    Diesel isn't an issue with the 125/147
    couldn't have said it better I don't know any 125TDI's that can put out those figures.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    357
    Thread Starter
    Ah sorry, missed the TSI bit. My bad. Read TDI for some reason.

    Sorry Clip. My other comments still stand though; interested in how the vehicle performs.

    I'd still go the 147TSI simply for the goodies it offers as the "top end model"; or the TDI for the diesel option.
    07 Jetta TFSI | 18" Charlestons | Blue Graphite

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,480
    Users Country Flag

    125 and 147 have the exact same engines ...... I'd recommend the 147 to anyone as I also like the extra goodies .... but for 1 small issue ... 147 is auto only ...

    which would be easier to tow with anyway .....
    Current: 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 2017 Mustang GT manual Race Red with mods now making 370kw
    10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
| |