Support VWWC

View Poll Results: Are you interested in getting a bash/skid plate made for your Tig?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm definitely interested as long as it isn't too expensive

11 50.00%
  • Not really, but if it's reasonably priced I may consider it.

7 31.82%
  • Not interested.

4 18.18%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested in getting a bash/skid plate made?

Users Country Flag

It would be a worthwhile to see the genuine one any way. Just to compare them, sometimes genuine skid plates aren't strong enough to be a real "skid plate". I guess the plate is asymmetrical because there is a round bushing at the right (someone commented it was not symmetrical).
    Great work!

I'll have to see what use our tiggy gets after it arrives but if I find we need a skid plate, I know where I'll be looking first

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries

Some questions answered

Q: So what does having the plate installed mean for servicing/oil changes etc? Is the plate easy to remove?
    A: We did consider cutting a hole in the plate for easy sump plug removal, but to be honest it would have been a pain to do, would have weakened the plate a bit, and in the end the plate wouldn't have looked as nice. Removing the plate is simply a case or removing the front 4 bolts, the back 3 bolts, and the screws holding the mudguard plastics to the plate. Putting it back on is almost as simple, except you need assistance to hold the plate in place while you start the threads of the bolts. You could possibly do it unassisted by only starting the front bolts, then starting the back ones, then alternating between back and front tightening them.

Q: The plate has some specific shaping on the sides, that doesn't seem to mould to anything in particular in your photos? Does that shaping match to anything?
    A: Yeah, it actually follows the shape of the underside to give maximum coverage and leave minimal gaps. I guess a more rudimentary plate that just protects the sump and gearbox is possible, but I wanted maximum coverage. On the edges of the plate the plastics of the mud guard actually screw into the plate. I did not take a pic of the plate after the screws were fitted – sorry.

Q: Could you get a ballpark figure of weight and dimensions?
    A: I estimate the 2 parts weigh between 12kg's and 15kg's (combined weight). The steel pipe cross bar weighs more than the plate I reckon. The plate is about 1.4m wide, and about 1.2m long if I remember correctly.

Q: Have you noticed the plate when driving at all? Louder engine noise?
    A: I've only had the plate a day or two now, and I can't say I have noticed any difference. I'm not particularly sensitive to little noises though to be honest, so maybe I am not the best judge. I doubt there would be any difference though. As your Tig is now, the "noise insulation" plastic plate doesn't cover your sump or gearbox, so other than acting as a stone guard for the underside of the radiator and the flywheel, I'm not sure what it does. With the full aluminium plate there, some engine noise may be reflect back up towards the cab, but I reckon that would be offset by the deflection of road noise back towards the road rather than letting it come through to the cabin.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Tiguan TDI, 6spd Tiptronic Auto
    Black, sunroof, comfort pack, off-road tech, tan leather, park assist & roof bars.
    Avg 7.63L/100km over 189,000kms

Users Country Flag
    I don't need one, but have to say that is a bombproof solution Alex has come up with, you can jack the car off that cross bar. (you should be having an eyelet welded on the cross beam so you can get pulled out when you're bogged next )
    2015 Multivan Highline
    1969 Sunbeam Imp Sport 930cc

Users Country Flag
    funny you say that mik, i did have a vision of a nice tow point off the bar, which would be easy to do, could even incorporate something nice like on my mk1??

Quote Originally Posted by Preen59 View Post
    I would have gotten wood from the picture message you sent me.. But I was sniffing Nitro, so i already had it. Hahaha.

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikinoz View Post
    I don't need one, but have to say that is a bombproof solution Alex has come up with, you can jack the car off that cross bar. (you should be having an eyelet welded on the cross beam so you can get pulled out when you're bogged next )
    Bombproof indeed! The eyelet is a good idea too...

Quote Originally Posted by alex g View Post
    funny you say that mik, i did have a vision of a nice tow point off the bar, which would be easy to do, could even incorporate something nice like on my mk1??
    Hmmmm.....
    You reckon the bolts securing the cross bar would handle a snatch retrieval Alex? I'm sure it'll handle normal towing, but not sure about a snatch retrieval.

Tiguan TDI, 6spd Tiptronic Auto
    Black, sunroof, comfort pack, off-road tech, tan leather, park assist & roof bars.
    Avg 7.63L/100km over 189,000kms

Arctra or anyone else have you looked into any kind of lift kit or pump up shocks or the like for the Tig. An extra 5cm or more would be handy for rougher stuff.

By the way see my addition to the Rough Roads thread for our experience with sand driving on Moreton island. Tig did well.

I might be interested in the bash plate yet and an eyelet sounds a good idea.
    Tiguan TSI Catalina blue, Manual

Users Country Flag
    For those that want to spend more money than what Arctra's plate will cost you, here is an Original VW bash/skid plate ....

Volkswagen Tiguan 4 Motion 2.0T > Exterior > Skid Plate > ES#1897141 Genuine VW Steel Skid Plate - 5N0898001

Only USD520 + shipping !!!!
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Arctra - having made some preliminary queries on lifting the car for more clearance, your bash plate is looking like a good option, especially if it included an eyelet. Have you checked that out? Only other query I have is whether I can mount it myself? ie does it come with the bolts etc and do they align with existing points or is more work required to mount it as well?

Sounds like changing the oil is a fair hassle with the plate on, but I could live with that and guess still have to remove the plastic cover without it.

Have a few taken up the offer now? - great that you organised it.

Two other quick Q's - does the steel bar mean the plate effectively lowers the clearance or does it sit pretty much where the old plastic over was?
    - in your pics, it looks like there is bit of a gap b/w the front lip of the plate and the front dam. Do you reckon sand would pour in thru 'that gap' if you were pushing thru deeper sand or not really?
    Last edited by jimbomort; 22-04-2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: additional q's
    Tiguan TSI Catalina blue, Manual

Did more people get these made or others?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast