Support VWWC

Thread: Alternator failing?

Users Country Flag

Alternator failing?

Hey guys,

Been a whilse since i have driven my tiguan, had RACV come by to jump start it and they noted that the alternator is catus as it is charging the battery at 12.7V and at load 13.1V... is this normal for a car that has driven 100k km~? Also how much should the damage be for a new alternator if anyone has experience?

Thanks!

Users Country Flag
    How long since you last used the Tiguan? Don't see a lot of alternators get changed, so I would be slow to condemn one myself. Whats the state of the battery since it was jumped? Does it start strongly?

Users Country Flag
    Did they do a full battery test and is it an OEM battery?

I have had a similar experience with my 2 Golf GTIs.

Golf 1. Turned out to have an incorrect battery fitted. Was 550CCA where the recommended CCA for my golf was 720, which is why it was struggling to start.

Golf 2: Was a battery draining issue, something was drawing too much current and killing the battery if not started in everyday, after 2 days battery would be dead. This could be anything but in my case turned out to be the glovebox light.

I also wouldn't be quick to blame the alternator as I hear they are quite resilient in these cars.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

UPDATE: So looks like after trickle charging it brought it back up to speed, after a 30 min drive into the city and all shes back healthy! no idea why RACV assumed it was the alternator that was cooked. Looks like ive dodged a bullet!