Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Towbar for R-Line Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Aftermarket Towbar for R-Line Tiguan

Has anyone had experience fitting an aftermarket Towbar (perhaps to a Tig with an ABT kit or similar)?

The R-Line doesn't have a Towbar option but I'm looking to toe a light trailer etc.

Mainly looking for any advice regarding maintaining the best cosmetic appearance with the r line pack.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by TIGR; 31-03-2015 at 08:37 PM.
    TIGR
    2017 162TSI R-Line Tiguan -
    Tungsten Silver | DAP | APR Stage 1 Build thread: https://goo.gl/YNgixR
    2015 155TSI R-Line Tiguan
    -
    Build thread: https://goo.gl/sEqISR

Users Country Flag
    Hi TIGR,

Romaniac has a towbar on his R-Line. His dealer fitted a factory towbar for him when he got it (mine wouldn't and still won't with my R-Line). I've been looking at the Hayman Reece towbar - just for a hitch mount bike rack and the occasional garden pruning trip to the tip with a box trailer.

The agent for the Hayman Reece towbar I spoke to has some doubts about whether he could fit their towbar if VW won't fit one - I think the issue was the lack of a cutout panel in the rear bumper for the towbar to pop through, and concern re the clearances with the R-Line bumper. If all else fails I think this is the only path available realistically (unless I make a long trip to Romaniac's dealer down in Melbourne that is - an 8 or 9 hour drive for me, much longer for you!). I tried VW Australia for comment but didn't get much in the way of an answer from them.

Romaniac is overseas at the moment but said he'd upload some pictures when he's back. I'm going to try the dealer again once I've seen the photos. Be keen to see how you get on since I'm in exactly the same boat (and I suspect there will be a number of others with the same issue in the near future).

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the info clarko.
    Yeah i asked the dealer in Brisbane who was adamant that there would be no way to fit a towbar to the R-Line.
    Im actually in the process of moving to the ACT, so if you do find someone locally I'd love to know.
    I'll hit up Romaniac with a message as well.

I certainly know it can be done, like this one just looking for someone who'll do it in Aus.. might have to be a drive to Melbourne....

Appreciate the info, thanks again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Towbar for R-Line Tiguan-ccs-46823-0-54670700-1401910842-jpg  

hi guys I'll post a photo tonight when I get home, just got back from overseas on the weekend. The dealer that done it for me was VW Bayford Camberwell Vic, speak to Sam Jacques P. 03 9811 1888 M. 0410 547 194

Aftermarket Towbar for R-Line Tiguan-img_2728-jpgAftermarket Towbar for R-Line Tiguan-img_2729-jpg

Here are the pics. Also came with the genuine VW square trailer adaptor, total cost was $1800

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Romaniac! I'll try the service department at the dealer and see what they say now.

Is much visible when the tow ball attachment is removed?

I haven't removed the towball so not sure how it looks, but it's an Australian style towbar not like the European one posted in the picture further up

My old man just got a R-line fitted with a decent tow ball thats completely hidden when taken away. Struggled with a few dealers on it but found one willing to help. Its a European gooseneck style one made by ExecuHitch | The Automated Tow Hitch of the Future. However i cannot find it on their site but could get some photos if you want.

2001 Turbo! 4mo Bora 'Boring' | Carbinaro CAI | Fixing broken stuff | Sorting the Turbo Goodness! | BBS Lm's 18x8.5 | KW V2's | 4 pot Brembo's

Users Country Flag
    I have a R-Line, live in the ACT and have been researching tow-bar options.
    Currently negotiating with Westfalia but there is some uncertainty concerning the clearance between the ball and the rear bumper bar when the removable goose neck is fitted due to the slightly different dimensions of the R-Line rear bar.
    Westaflia supplied the tow bar on my Audi SQ5 and we pioneered the fitment of that on the SQ5 and it has proved to be an excellent option - beautifully engineered and unless the goose neck is fitted there is no external evidence of having a tow bar fitted.
    The cost of all the Westfalia bar hardware and wiring loom for the Tiguan is around $1000.

Dingah

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks Dingah, I would be interested in seeing how you go also, and who fits it for you etc, as i'll likely get this done in the ACT as well.
    And again, any pics etc - greatly appreciated
    TIGR
    2017 162TSI R-Line Tiguan -
    Tungsten Silver | DAP | APR Stage 1 Build thread: https://goo.gl/YNgixR
    2015 155TSI R-Line Tiguan
    -
    Build thread: https://goo.gl/sEqISR

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast