Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Apple Carplay?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    That does seem a bit strange. I mean why would you upgrade the whole electrical/communication system for the car just before you go out of production?
    In a word, logistics. By and large, VW cars are not standalone, but part of modular systems, with the largest system based on the Golf platform. It makes sense to stop production of the older style parts (accounting for numbers that their modelling calculates are required to be kept for spares) as early as possible and start putting newer parts into all common-platform vehicles as part of the platform transition as it simplifies their supply chain. Presumably VW's engineering has developed to such a point that while the wires remain the same, the major components can change without difficultly, as long as they are all designed to work with the new communications protocol. I have no idea what has happened in the move from the MkVI to the MkVII (as I have no impetus to do the research), but the protocol changed from DDP to BAP in the move to the MkVI. The RNS-510 has a bit that can be changed in VCDS so it can be used in cars based on either protocol, but perhaps the new head units don't, or Ross Tech haven't yet exposed that bit in their ongoing reverse-engineering efforts.
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

That looks really good actually, and it seems to work with factory steering controls plus reverse camera too. Could any reasonable car audio place install this unit? Post some updates once you get it done.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by easybarge View Post
    I'm getting one of these, full integration and a boat load of features.
    Personally, for that money I would be getting an Alpine ILX-007e, or the upcoming wireless version. It too supports steering wheel controls, has a reversing camera and will come with a local warranty. While it might be what some others want, a huge plus for me would be that it is not cluttered with its own and an Android operating system, as well as CarPlay - just neater in my opinion.
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

the alpine is just a screen and if you dont have the iphone connected it only works as radio. This other unit has built in gps plus radio and bluetooth connectivity plus it integrates with the climate heating/cooling display and factory camera and it's only $200 more than the alpine.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by romaniac View Post
    the alpine is just a screen and if you dont have the iphone connected it only works as radio. This other unit has built in gps plus radio and bluetooth connectivity plus it integrates with the climate heating/cooling display and factory camera and it's only $200 more than the alpine.
    Sure, but the GPS won't work the Apple Maps in CarPlay, so you'll have to use their navigation system instead. Do you know what OS their software is based on and who is providing their Australian maps?

There has been talk about the ILX-007 already having a WiFi and Bluetooth chip on board, and this gives them a head start to take advantage of Apple removing the cable connection from CarPlay in the release of IOS 9. Not sure what has happened since that OS update has been released, but Alpine seemed to have the inside running.

It's been a while since I did my research, but I vaguely recall that Alpine have a climate display solution too - but perhaps it was for one of their other systems, and not the ILX-007e. I'm afraid I looked at a couple of units before deciding on the RNS-510, but this is an Alpine picture I stored in the research folder on my computer:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Apple Carplay?-x800d_vw_hvac_display-png  
    Last edited by arcadelt; 08-12-2015 at 08:35 PM.

did you manage to get your unit ?

2018 MK7.5 Lapiz Wolf Wagon with Roof

Users Country Flag
    That looks pretty nice. Would really need to see one in action to really know how good the interface is.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Has anyone tried this on an MK6 GTI? It seems an easy plug and play installation.

Access Denied

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast