Thread: Vacuum bagging starter kit for making composite enclosures?

Users Country Flag

Vacuum bagging starter kit for making composite enclosures?

I started a new carbon fiber enclosure over the weekend. It's moulded to the 20" spare wheel (migrating my sub to the new car). The tub (bottom half) is thin, rigid, light as a feather and holds ~37L of water already. I still have to build the raised lid, which will sit ~25mm above the top of the wheel - providing some more volume.

I used a gym ball and ~100kg of retaining wall blocks to apply positive pressure. It turned out ok, but more pressure certainly would have helped - it's a little rough, though no-one will see it. I calculated the positive pressure to only be 1-3psi pressure at best - where a vacuum pump can theoretically provide up to ~14psi...

Vacuum bagging starter kit for making composite enclosures?-20220521_135707-jpg Vacuum bagging starter kit for making composite enclosures?-20220522_102234-jpg

This lid will certainly benefit from a proper vacuum, and will look much better with a smooth glossy finish. I've been experimenting a bit with DIY vacuum bagging for a while (incl silicone mold making), but feel it's time to bite the bullet and buy some proper equipment (pump and lines etc) ... Having proper equipment should also help with making any carbon fiber mouldings (eg. mirror caps)

Has anyone had any experience with vacuum bagging composites (carbon fiber / fibreglass)? Any suggestions for a simple/affordable starter kit? Is there somewhere local to get these from?

I've been looking Vaccum pumps/chambers used for degassing resins/silicone and by refrigeration mechanics - any idea if these are suitable?
    Last edited by nermal; 24-05-2022 at 03:53 PM.
    2018 Arteon R-Line - Black, Sunroof, Dynaudio, 20" Wheels, RacingLine: Stage 2 ECU+DSG|380mm BBK|Intercooler+Hoses|Oil Cooler|R600 Intake|Adjustable Front Droplinks|Dogbone Insert|Subframe Brace+Alignment Kit|Propshaft Alignment Kit, Milltek: Zirotec Downpipe, Harding: Front+Rear Sway Bars|Rear Droplinks, Other: OSRAM Dynamic Indicators, EvcX Throttle Controller, 034 (RED) Coil Packs, Various Carbon Bits
    2022 Tiguan Allspace R-Line, Grey - Sunroof, Harmon Kardon

Users Country Flag
    Hi, cool project.

There are plenty sources around, but if you know anyone who knows someone in boat building in your area, that might be a good place to start.

Below is a link that might assist and provide some pointers (you may have already seen it or something like it).

Vacuum Bagging Kit • WEST SYSTEM • Marine Grade Epoxy

Good luck.
    R36 Wagon MY2010.5: Biscay Blue| Dynaudio and Nav| RVC| VW tow bar|
    Mod highlights:
    ECU and DSG Tune| 3AA CCM and 7N0 Gateway| 3D colour MFD| MIB2 retrofit and 7N0 RVC| Quad LED tail, brake and indicator rings| Zimmermann Sportbrake rotors, composite pads| TPMS High| 2Q0 Blind Spot and RCTA| B8 rearview mirror|

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by MMR36 View Post
    Hi, cool project.

There are plenty sources around, but if you know anyone who knows someone in boat building in your area, that might be a good place to start.

Below is a link that might assist and provide some pointers (you may have already seen it or something like it).

Vacuum Bagging Kit • WEST SYSTEM • Marine Grade Epoxy

Good luck.
    Thanks, I forgot about west systems - I'll try find a local distributor selling the starter kit.
    2018 Arteon R-Line - Black, Sunroof, Dynaudio, 20" Wheels, RacingLine: Stage 2 ECU+DSG|380mm BBK|Intercooler+Hoses|Oil Cooler|R600 Intake|Adjustable Front Droplinks|Dogbone Insert|Subframe Brace+Alignment Kit|Propshaft Alignment Kit, Milltek: Zirotec Downpipe, Harding: Front+Rear Sway Bars|Rear Droplinks, Other: OSRAM Dynamic Indicators, EvcX Throttle Controller, 034 (RED) Coil Packs, Various Carbon Bits

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I ended up ordering a basic resin infusion kit from this site (NSW based): Resin Infusion Kit - Play with Carbon - Australia

Will post results once I do the lid - making the mould atm:

Been playing with using plant pot saucers and silicon to get the right heights and shapes - just building up layers atm and making sure there is enough max excursion protection (up to 35mm from base).

Will fill in the levels with expander foam + silicon next and then cut out some details before putting a final sealing/smoothing layer of silicon over the whole surface.

Using a piece of dowel to try centre everything and ensure clearances - sub is 143mm from magnet to bottom of baseplate, total height required is 178mm including max excursion (only have a few mm to play with). Have used this technique before with good results.

Vacuum bagging starter kit for making composite enclosures?-20220601_161214-jpg
    Last edited by nermal; 02-06-2022 at 09:04 AM.