Thread: Upgrading a Japanese RNS510 Firmware to get Bluetooth AVRCP to play/pause/skip tracks

Users Country Flag

Unhappy Upgrading a Japanese RNS510 Firmware to get Bluetooth AVRCP to play/pause/skip tracks

Greetings to all,

I have a serious problem with my RNS510.

I have a 2010 VW Golf mk6 originally equipped with the RNS510. This is a Japanese Car.

The car did not come with bluetooth so I bought a used OEM Bluetooth unit from eBay. I managed to install it and get everything working except AVRCP (AVRCP lets you see which song is playing and to play/pause/skip tracks).

I bought the 7P6035730E model and after some research it appeared that only the F models and later have AVRCP. I decided to buy another bluetooth unit from eBay again and this time I got the 7P6035730M model.

Unfortunately even with the M model I am still not getting AVRCP. After a lot more digging on forums it appears that I need to upgrade the Firmware of the RNS510 in order to get that.

So my RNS510 is also a Japanese RNS510 B model with HW13 and FW2960. I saw people getting AVRCP after upgrading to version 3xxx, 4xxx and 5xxx. However I cannot find any version of these that is compatible with a Japanese RNS510.

So my question is: If I use a European or Australian firmware, will it work and not brick my RNS510 ?

As I am living in Japan, replacing the whole RNS510 is not an option unfortunately.

Any ideas, suggestions or solutions will be greatly welcome as this matter is driving me real crazy.

Thank you in advance.

Users Country Flag
    No you cannot use EU firmware.
    Jp market firmware is not something I've ever needed so have never looked for it.
    Not sure what Japanese language sites are like for this sort of thing but that's the only place you'll likely find the right update.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag

Euro firmware is same as Australian firmware.
    from memory, Japanese hardware is very different to US/EURO (ROW). Application of non -Japanese Firmware will brick the unit.
    What about upgrading to a (Japanese Spec) RCD330 etc?
    MY16 Touareg 4.2Lt V8 TDI/Pure White LED lightbox/REDARC Brake Controller/ Racechip/iDrive Throttle controller
    2008 GOLF .:R32/5DR DBPE DSG/SUNROOF/RNS510/PRIVACY TINT/CONTI SC3s/MILLTEK CATBACK NON-RES/9W2 BT/"MYR-032"