Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three way components in a Passat B8

Users Country Flag

Three way components in a Passat B8

Just wondering if anyone here has put three way components into a B8 ? I already had a pair of Focal PS 165FX and a Crescendo sub, and after a chat with Marty at FHRX I've ordered a Helix V Eight amp/processor and some Focal Evo flax mids. Just wondering if anyone's done anything similar? Dynaudio obviously get their mids in there somehow and the grille plate is there, just figuring out how to secure them, looks pretty squeezy in there. Any pics of a three way setup or even a pic of how Dynaudio secure their mid would be helpful though I cant find one. Thanks for any help or info.
    MY18 Passat 206TSI R-Line Wagon - White
    2005 E46 M3 - LeMans Blue

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    For anyone interested for future reference, here's my progress. The most important thing I've learnt about all this is the sound deadening. Take your time on deadening as much as you can, the results are well worth it. Heck even the crappy factory speakers sounded better when I initially did the passenger door with Dynamat. I was then told to switch to Focal Bam. Basically I should have done my research first instead of assuming Dynamat was still king, it's far from it. I then stripped off the Dynamat, redid with Bam and the difference is night & day. I've now done both front doors outer skin, inner skin, and the door panels themselves. Also put quite a bit of Bam in the rear cargo area. I have a large diffuser pad behind each mid-bass. I made up a custom frame to bolt the mid-ranges to, that is then glued to door panel with a flexible sealer/glue with 3 rings of foam between the plate and frame, and then has Bam over the back of it.
    I noticed the difference in the sound as I applied the Bam, the more area I covered the better the sound quality. The Focals sound really good already, they actually pump at higher volumes and this is still with the stock factory amp. Once it's all wired up I have foam rings for the fronts of the mid-bass and will cover the backs of the tweeter & mid-range with 3mm Dynaliner.

It's going in to be all wired up next week with a Helix V Eight DSP amp for the three-ways, and an Audison SR 1.500 mono amp for the sub. Once it's all been wired up I'll deaden the rear doors, and will probably put some Focal two-ways in there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Three way components in a Passat B8-20201119_075453_bam-jpg   Three way components in a Passat B8-20201115_112221a-jpg  

Users Country Flag
    Any updates to this install? @kook
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    Any updates to this install? @kook
    No major updates to tell, everything is in and sounding excellent. I still haven't put the Focals in the rear, not sure I need it. I also bought a Focal P25FE 10 inch sub and put that in an old Vibe 10 sub box in the back of the wagon that's stuck in place with velcro strips underneath it. It doesn't move at all but can be easily removed if needed. I painted the inside of the sub with liquid sound deadener, let it cure fully and then lined it with Bam also. Filled in the port by gluing a wood plug into the port. I still need to repaint it black and finish it off properly, I might be inspired to do that now! Either way it sounds great, very punchy. I also put an Audiotec Fischer URC.3 sub controller in for it.

Three way components in a Passat B8-20210808_132839-resize-jpgThree way components in a Passat B8-20210808_132225-resize-jpgThree way components in a Passat B8-20210808_131437-resize-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Looks great!

I am looking into the Focal Inside range at the moment; VW Passat III | sedan (2015-2021) | B8 | Focal Inside

Focal Inside Powered 8.0
    Focal BAM XXXL Acoustic Insulation
    Focal InstalPro Speaker Acoustic Seal Kit
    Focal ISVW180 (front)
    Focal ISVW155 (rear)
    Focal IMPULSE 4.320
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

That looks a lot easier than going the way I did! I put a set of ISVW165 into the front of the missus's Golf, a big improvement over the factory speakers. I might get one of those Impulse amps for it now. I also put Bam through the Golf's front doors. I did the rear doors and boot area of my wagon with it as well, definitely less road noise now and I have no rattles anywhere in the car at high volumes.

Three way components in a Passat B8-20201121_124455-resize-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kook View Post
    That looks a lot easier than going the way I did! I put a set of ISVW165 into the front of the missus's Golf, a big improvement over the factory speakers. I might get one of those Impulse amps for it now. I also put Bam through the Golf's front doors. I did the rear doors and boot area of my wagon with it as well, definitely less road noise now and I have no rattles anywhere in the car at high volumes.

Three way components in a Passat B8-20201121_124455-resize-jpg
    I assume you placed the factory carpeted floor matting over the top of that also?
    Then, the carpeted cargo floor on top.
    The reason I ask, is our Passat has the factory carpeted floor matting in the spare tyre wheel area.
    But I have seen others online that do not have this and are only bare metal.
    My Superb is bare metal, no carpet...

Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    I assume you placed the factory carpeted floor matting over the top of that also?
    Then, the carpeted cargo floor on top.
    The reason I ask, is our Passat has the factory carpeted floor matting in the spare tyre wheel area.
    But I have seen others online that do not have this and are only bare metal.
    My Superb is bare metal, no carpet...
    Yes. I pulled out the folding cargo floor, tools & spare wheel, and last the molded carpet covering. Then stuck down the Bam to the metal except where there were factory stickers. That small piece of white you can see lower right is a factory sticker of some description. Then put the molded carpet piece back in and the wheels & tools. For a bit of overkill I also stuck Bam to the bottom of the folding floor piece leaving a gap on the sides so it can still slide & function properly. Then slotted the floor back in place. It's a whole lot quieter back there.
    Last edited by kook; 10-08-2021 at 09:32 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Great work!!!

Old post I know, though did you have your setup installed? What do you think? Im thinking of the same setup!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast