Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RNS510 no FM or AM

Users Country Flag

RNS510 no FM or AM

Recently my AM and FM stopped working. Signal quality indicates 'poor' when holding setup button, but if it was the signal poor, should I at least be able to hear static FM? I am not sure is it the antenna or a faulty unit....bluetooth streaming is fine..
    GTI carbon steel g, leather, mdi, A.C.C., park parallel assist & RVC, dynaudio, sunroof, R-tails, RNS510, 9WZ, LED reg

Users Country Flag
    These RNS510 units are getting old and seem to be starting to fail or play up. It might be time to look into upgrading the unit to a RCD330 with Apple Carplay/Android Auto.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yes I have noticed that.... wish I could narrow it down
    GTI carbon steel g, leather, mdi, A.C.C., park parallel assist & RVC, dynaudio, sunroof, R-tails, RNS510, 9WZ, LED reg

Users Country Flag
    Im sure one of the electronics gurus on here will have some advice for you.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Have you pulled the radio out of the dash and had a look at the aerial connection? It may be loose/damaged after years of use and movement/bouncing in the dash as a result of the movement of the car.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

I have not but will check... As I dont have a shark fin unit antenna on my car, could it be that maybe the antenna broke somewhere at the back? I would also assume that if the antenna was damaged there should be some AM radio pickup...

Users Country Flag
    Arent the aerials for radio embedded in the windows at the rear
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Arent the aerials for radio embedded in the windows at the rear
    MKVI onwards I believe. MKV have the roof antenna.

Seems that there should/might be more to the antenna problem than we might be told. Wondering if the head unit has been removed recently, or maybe under/behind dash work done which may have dislodged/damaged the aerial wiring. Need more background info from the OP.
    But, I agree with previous suggestion, remove the head unit and check the integrity of the antenna connection.
    MY16 Touareg 4.2Lt V8 TDI/Pure White LED lightbox/REDARC Brake Controller/ Racechip/iDrive Throttle controller
    2008 GOLF .:R32/5DR DBPE DSG/SUNROOF/RNS510/PRIVACY TINT/CONTI SC3s/MILLTEK CATBACK NON-RES/9W2 BT/"MYR-032"

will do over the weekend...is there a cheap antenna I can try out since I am opening up the whole thing?

Users Country Flag

Coathanger used to be that
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast