Thread: RNS510 issue - taking it up with VW?

Users Country Flag

RNS510 issue - taking it up with VW?

I'm irked by the quality of goods these days, I don't mind paying decent coin for something, but I hate it when the quality is crap and the company just expects you to deal with it. I've had about 6 VWs, loved all of them, but I've had 3 failed stereos one RCD300 and two RNS510s. My Amarok's RNS510 volume control doesn't work properly, it's unusable. Looking online there's pages of google hits from people complaining about issues with VAG stereos and many of them forking out hundreds of dollars to get new ones fitted. Has anyone actually raised this with Volkswagen before? At $3000 brand new from the dealer, surely they are supposed to last longer than 5 years? Who actually makes the stereo?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    Who actually makes the stereo?
    Either Continental or Bosch. I believe the former for the RNS-510
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    I'm irked by the quality of goods these days, I don't mind paying decent coin for something, but I hate it when the quality is crap and the company just expects you to deal with it. I've had about 6 VWs, loved all of them, but I've had 3 failed stereos one RCD300 and two RNS510s. My Amarok's RNS510 volume control doesn't work properly, it's unusable. Looking online there's pages of google hits from people complaining about issues with VAG stereos and many of them forking out hundreds of dollars to get new ones fitted. Has anyone actually raised this with Volkswagen before? At $3000 brand new from the dealer, surely they are supposed to last longer than 5 years? Who actually makes the stereo?
    What's the age of the 'rok?
    MY16 Touareg 4.2Lt V8 TDI/Pure White LED lightbox/REDARC Brake Controller/ Racechip/iDrive Throttle controller
    2008 GOLF .:R32/5DR DBPE DSG/SUNROOF/RNS510/PRIVACY TINT/CONTI SC3s/MILLTEK CATBACK NON-RES/9W2 BT/"MYR-032"

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ Steve View Post
    What's the age of the 'rok?
    It's 5 years old, so warranty is long gone.

Users Country Flag
    The RNS510 is now hitting the 2nd hand market from $300up. It would be easier and less hassle to just buy a replacement.

Alternatively, a unit from a newer Amarok might be better or even a RCD330+ (also about $300) will give you Carplay too. I'm still on a RNS510 as well in the Amarok (no problems and its my 4th unit in 4 VWs all with no problems) and thinking of upgrading. Yet to decide which way to go.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    The RNS510 is now hitting the 2nd hand market from $300up. It would be easier and less hassle to just buy a replacement.

Alternatively, a unit from a newer Amarok might be better or even a RCD330+ (also about $300) will give you Carplay too. I'm still on a RNS510 as well in the Amarok (no problems and its my 4th unit in 4 VWs all with no problems) and thinking of upgrading. Yet to decide which way to go.
    Yeah was looking at the RCD330. I'm hoping to update the firmware and see if that fixes it. The issue with the volume control seems worse when i have my phone connected via bluetooth and play music. With just the radio it's almost fine, possibly suggesting a software issue.

Users Country Flag

The RNS was a brilliant unit it it's day, but is very slow and ordinary today.

The Multivan has a Pioneer unit with CarPlay and it's magic. So fast by comparison!

The Golf still has the RNS510 because I just don't drive it nearly enough to justify the upgrade cost, I'd also need an adpator for the OEM RVC to work with anything else. I could pull out and sell the RNS for most of the upgrade cost I suppose...

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit