Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RNS510 + DSP or Aftermarket Android with DSP?

Users Country Flag

RNS510 + DSP or Aftermarket Android with DSP?

I have an RNS510 with Dynaudio and would like to add an additional amp (Esotar2 1200 sub).

My original thinking was to run the line-outs through a DSP and then split back to the dyn amp and take a couple more lines for the sub amp. I've even spliced up a custom quadlock adapter to plug the head unit:
    RNS510 + DSP or Aftermarket Android with DSP?-20200508_113016-jpg

... but today, this head unit caught my eye and got me thinking. I'm sure this particular one is cheap Chinese garbage, but the idea of a modern head unit with a builtin DSP (and sub out) would simplify things a lot. Also, a 10.1" screen would help make the car feel newer. COIKA Android 9.0 System Car Radio Head Unit For VW Passat B6 B7 CC 1280*720P 4+64GB RAM 6 Core PX6 CPU IPS GPS Navi Stereo DSP|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

RNS510 + DSP or Aftermarket Android with DSP?-coika-android-9-0-system-car-radio-head-unit-vw-passat-b6-b7-cc-1280-jpg

Are there any high-quality options with DSP + sub out, Android and a large 9-10"+ screen that anyone can recommend?
    Last edited by nermal; 22-05-2020 at 06:50 PM.
    2018 Arteon R-Line - Black, Sunroof, Dynaudio, 20" Wheels, RacingLine: Stage 2 ECU+DSG|380mm BBK|Intercooler+Hoses|Oil Cooler|R600 Intake|Adjustable Front Droplinks|Dogbone Insert|Subframe Brace+Alignment Kit|Propshaft Alignment Kit, Milltek: Zirotec Downpipe, Harding: Front+Rear Sway Bars|Rear Droplinks, Other: OSRAM Dynamic Indicators, EvcX Throttle Controller, 034 (RED) Coil Packs, Various Carbon Bits
    2022 Tiguan Allspace R-Line, Grey - Sunroof, Harmon Kardon

Users Country Flag
    Considering what you have now is widely regarded as having quite good sound, I'd be very cautious about taking any backwards steps.

I'm not aware of anything built into any kind of aftermarket head unit that would come close to the likes of a standalone DSP such as a minidsp, helix, mosconi etc etc.

It's getting harder and harder to beat the sound quality of an OEM head unit with something aftermarket, even from traditional brands once known for good car audio gear. Not saying it can't be done, and I can't comment on modernising the rns510 experience, but you should probably wash your mouth out for mentioning AliExpress in the same post as Dynaudio

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by NinetySix View Post
    Considering what you have now is widely regarded as having quite good sound, I'd be very cautious about taking any backwards steps.

I'm not aware of anything built into any kind of aftermarket head unit that would come close to the likes of a standalone DSP such as a minidsp, helix, mosconi etc etc.

It's getting harder and harder to beat the sound quality of an OEM head unit with something aftermarket, even from traditional brands once known for good car audio gear. Not saying it can't be done, and I can't comment on modernising the rns510 experience, but you should probably wash your mouth out for mentioning AliExpress in the same post as Dynaudio
    Haha yeah, absolutely - AliExpress = "cheap Chinese garbage" (typically)

AFAIK - most of the Dynaudio magic happens in the amp. It has it's own DSP that is 'hard-coded' to the passat cabin and has built-in sound correction etc to help cleanup the RNS-510 signal.

An RCD 330+ would be a good option, but still a small 6.5" @ 800x480 screen - same as the existing RNS-510. There are a couple of Alpine and Pioneer units that look interesting in the 9" screen size range. Some have separate sub output and control over timings and frequency filters etc. The high-end Alpine options are comparable in price to a Helix DSP - not as good from a DSP perspective, but dunno if I actually need all of that with the current amp already tuned to my car.

I guess I was hoping for some definitive brand or model that was considered good quality - I'm seeing a bunch of new brand names pop up in this category that I have no idea about.. eg. Joying, Eonon etc - and you can't trust the online review sites ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    2018 Arteon R-Line - Black, Sunroof, Dynaudio, 20" Wheels, RacingLine: Stage 2 ECU+DSG|380mm BBK|Intercooler+Hoses|Oil Cooler|R600 Intake|Adjustable Front Droplinks|Dogbone Insert|Subframe Brace+Alignment Kit|Propshaft Alignment Kit, Milltek: Zirotec Downpipe, Harding: Front+Rear Sway Bars|Rear Droplinks, Other: OSRAM Dynamic Indicators, EvcX Throttle Controller, 034 (RED) Coil Packs, Various Carbon Bits

Users Country Flag
    Couldn't help myself and had a little look into what might be going on on in Dyn DSP, and saw this page:

https://www.dynaudio.de/academy/2017...fi-in-your-car

It's mainly about the latest Dyn setup in the B8, and it's pretty vague, but it does talk a little about the Dyn B6 setup, and given its based around 2002 technology... That DSP isn't likely doing a whole lot by today's standards. Maybe some time delay, basic crossovers and however much EQ the processing power & budget back then allowed for. But the ace up it's sleeve is that it was tuned by somebody who knew what they were doing, and that's kind of a big deal 😎

I thought the RCD 330+ looked like a cracking good option, but from what I could tell it only takes one radio antenna in, where the 510 on my b7 has a diversity setup with 2 antennas. For me that's a deal breaker as I listen to radio a lot, in fact that's all I use my 510 for, anything serious I stream direct from my phone via a USB digital audio card to the standalone DSP. No idea what the actual audio quality on the 330+ is like, but I'll bet it's better than a joying or similar.

I reckon you had the right idea before you got "distracted" 😁 adding a sub or even subS shouldn't require reinventing the wheel, should be a well trodden path! Housing a sub is the hard part...

Quote Originally Posted by NinetySix View Post
    I reckon you had the right idea before you got "distracted"  adding a sub or even subS shouldn't require reinventing the wheel, should be a well trodden path! Housing a sub is the hard part...
    Yeah, good point. There's been a lot of "distractions" on this project... I embarrassingly started it ~4 years ago and got distracted with a couple of house renovation projects. Just had some time recently to get back into it.

In terms of housing, I've already built a custom enclosure (fiberglass, MDF and carbon fiber/kevlar) and a custom grill - made a silicon mold from an old T2 Kombi badge (perfect size for a 12" sub once you add the ring).

Grill:
    RNS510 + DSP or Aftermarket Android with DSP?-20200505_165139-jpg

Enclosure - false floor that fits over the spare tire/mag wheel. I'm not happy with the carbon fiber finish, so am going to redo it:
    RNS510 + DSP or Aftermarket Android with DSP?-20200504_083339-jpg
    Planning to sand back and smooth out the surface and then lay a top layer of this honeycomb patterned carbon fiber + kevlar weave (just arrived):
    RNS510 + DSP or Aftermarket Android with DSP?-15907072363534579556129013726759-jpg

Also made a custom Esotar 1200 trim ring and added connectors, various sounds deadening and dacron stuffing etc. Got a pressure pack of R36 biscay blue too for highlights:
    RNS510 + DSP or Aftermarket Android with DSP?-20200508_113001-jpg

It's fully unpluggable (120A anderson plugs) and removable to get to the spare tire, but unfortunately weighs a ton!
    Last edited by nermal; 29-05-2020 at 09:46 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Aye, 'tis the work of a true craftsman right there! Any idea what the internal volume is on the enclosure? A "woofer tester" is handy for fine tuning an enclosure, tho if it's sealed, it's hard to get it wrong!

I went a slightly different route, there's compromises with any setup, but it's nice to have cake and eat most of it 😁

Note the anti-theft spikes, still in the functional prototype stage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RNS510 + DSP or Aftermarket Android with DSP?-img_2666-jpg  

Thanks =) Yeah, it's sealed and IIRC was approx 40-45L (incl raised top), when I originally measured it using foam beans - recommended size for the 12" sub is 30-66L : https://www.dynaudio.com/media/2530/esotar2_1200.pdf

That's a nice setup, and good thinking with the ski pass. Are those 2x 15" subs in open baffle? That'll suck the air right out of your lungs 😁

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nermal View Post
    Thanks =) Yeah, it's sealed and IIRC was approx 40-45L (incl raised top), when I originally measured it using foam beans - recommended size for the 12" sub is 30-66L : https://www.dynaudio.com/media/2530/esotar2_1200.pdf

That's a nice setup, and good thinking with the ski pass. Are those 2x 15" subs in open baffle? That'll suck the air right out of your lungs 
    That's a cracker of a driver there, and not bad getting 40+ litres in a stealthy enclosure! Clearly you've put a fair amount of effort In to get this far, and easily enough coin to show you're not here for a haircut so I'll reiterate that a setup of this calibre deserves to have the enclosure "tuned" before even thinking about any EQ or DSP.

Basically that means taking an impedance measurement of the driver, the driver in the box, and the driver in the box in the car. A couple years ago I bought a Dayton DATS V2 I think it was, for that purpose and it did the job nicely. I think it's been superseded by a newer model, and the are a few alternatives around, but most will be a couple hundred bucks and might not get much use unless you're a bit of a diy speaker geek!

There's a free option that isn't too much mucking around though, see here:

Impedance Measurement

Modelling a driver's response with a software simulator and even following manufacturer recommendations can only take you so far, especially in a car with so many variables. The shape of the curve determines your system Q (I think, been a while!) and more or less stuffing will adjust that, subtly. Can't recall what makes for an ideal target, but without knowing what's going on in there, best you can hope for is adding "some" stuffing and getting "some" result though probably the most useful aspect of an impedance measurement is that any resonances or defects or insufficient bracing in the enclosure will show up as a squiggle, and when you measure it in the car with doors and boot shut, you're going to see where the car itself is affecting things, and that could be a buzzing boot lid or number plate.

I wouldn't go too deep down the rabbit hole, but it's an easy way to spot something that might not be apparent, might not be hard to fix, and absolutely won't be fixed with EQ.

Yep, 2x Alpine type-S 15s, mounted in what I think the home theatre infinite baffle enthusiasts call a push-pull slot loaded manifold yeah it's got grunt to spare, but it also doesn't have to work real hard for "normal" listening, ie low distortion. They are wired to drive in opposing directions, ie signal + both comes move the centreline of the car, signal - both move away from centre. Reduces 2nd order harmonic distortion, if memory serves.

Bugger, went and wrote an essay 🙊

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't considered any enclosure tuning, but yeah that makes sense. I think I'll engage a professional for that part of the project!

Does your enclosure take up much boot space? Do you have a photo of the back?

Users Country Flag

I was kinda hoping you wouldn't ask that 🤭 but fair enough

RNS510 + DSP or Aftermarket Android with DSP?-img_20191014_012026-jpgRNS510 + DSP or Aftermarket Android with DSP?-img_20191014_012036-jpg

As I said, setup is in the prototype stage, and especially shameful for somebody who just happens to be an electrician

The boot itself is the box as such, and is doing a pretty good job of it so far with just a tiny bit of deadener on the boot lid and on the back of the number plate, parcel shelf could use some reinforcement/sealing one day when I get around to it.

The box ("manifold") was taken straight out of my old Astra and straight into the Passat with little modification, and it could easily be trimmed a little to be less intrusive, though I can just get the spare tyre out without unbolting it, heaven forbid. Ski port is open when listening obviously, and in 2.5 years I've had passengers in the back maybe 2 or 3 times if that. The 40 split is still functional but obviously the 60 portion can't open with the box bolted on, otherwise there's not a huge amount of boot space lost, tho in this configuration it's going to be at least as wide as the woofers. A pair of 12s would probably be significantly easier to house with good performance still, but I regret nothing, write it on my tombstone 😁

The real magic in this setup, though, is the little black box mounted just in front of the battery compartment, partially cut off in the pic, minidsp c-dsp 8x12 DL with dirac live, and is easily configured and tuned by an enthusiast with a laptop and a USB mic in about 20 minutes and makes for a sound stage that was never meant to exist in a car 😳 with a panning drum test track you need a micrometre to measure the distance between where each sound comes from. It's not cheap at 900 USD but worth every penny and then some.

But obviously, as magical as it is, you want your enclosures working well before tuning

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast