Support VWWC

Thread: RNS315 camera into MIB unit

Users Country Flag

RNS315 camera into MIB unit

Hi all, just successfully fitted the MIB STD2 PQ unit into my 2016 Amarok highline. It had the RNS315 head unit fitted with bluetooth, parking sensors and reverse camera.

I used an adapter so everything is working, except the reverse camera as it didn't have an adapter and I can't seem to find one. The MIB unit doesn't have a pinout image on it, so kinda hard to know what I should even be looking for!

Anyone have any ideas here? I'm hoping there is a cheap option on something like aliexpress

Here is the connector without a home

RNS315 camera into MIB unit-20180919_153759-jpg

Here is the back of the units, RNS315 top left is where the connector was.

RNS315 camera into MIB unit-20180918_165629-jpg

And the back of the MIB unit

RNS315 camera into MIB unit-20180918_165627-jpg

And here's the RNS315 pin out

RNS315 camera into MIB unit-20180919_080824-jpg

Thanks in advance for any info!

Users Country Flag
    You can use an adapter:
    26 PIN RGB to CVBS (RCA) AV Converter for Volkswagen Factory Original Camera Output to Third Part OEM/After Market Head Unit DVD-in Cables, Adapters & Sockets from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

However the quality isn't normally that fantastic due to the conversion of the video signal.
    The best option is to replace the camera with a composite camera.
    The easiest is to use a converter.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Excellent, thanks for the reply.

I came across this to get a signal into the MIB headunit, and the connector looks right, as I have that in the unit already with empty pins in those positions
    aliexpress connector link

That then lead me to think could I pull the appropriate signal pins from the 26 pin connector. At a complete guess position 10-13 and 20-23 look to be camera related?

As you mentioned a conversion of signal I'm assuming it isn't that simple

Users Country Flag
    No you can't just swap pins.
    Your factory camera is using RGBS which is a different signalling system than CVBS (composite video). RGBS uses more pins to minimise noise during transmission.
    Need to use a converter or replace the camera and wiring harness.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Excellent, thanks! I've ordered some parts. I'll log back in and write up the results... in about a month when the parts arrive from China!

Users Country Flag

Hi TMB99,

Dragging up an old thread!

I plan to do the same to my 2015 Amarok, it too has the RNS315. I’ve bought a second hand composition media (I’ll have to get CP deactivated). Do you have any tips? What did you end up doing with the reverse camera?

Cheers,
    MCL.
    Last edited by mcl; 13-03-2021 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Typo