Support VWWC

Thread: RNS-510 (Skoda Columbus) CD/DVD slot locked/clamped - ??due to invalid clamp state

RNS-510 (Skoda Columbus) CD/DVD slot locked/clamped - ??due to invalid clamp state

Usual problem. RNS-510 stopped in German mode, no sound, no radio, phone integrates but no speaker volume. Presume this is caused by either:
    a. failed battery and voltage variation with cranking that turned the dash/maxidot on/off repeatedly.
    b. hard drive failure.

Thought I may as well try to swap to SSD. Following the DIY instructions (John C and Kamold), fairly straightforward. Trying firmware 5238. But forgot the best method for CD/DVD burning and the disc wouldn't read, got stuck and wouldn't eject. (Been there in 2012 doing custom boot loader - have reread the recipe.)

Had to pull the CD/DVD drive out. Can't find any manual eject facility on the mechanism or figure how to manually lower the disc blocking tabs.
    Had to loosen the front the get the disc out. Attempt 2 - the CD/DVD drive still wants to stay locked.

Somehow between unplugging the power and reinstalling the Hitachi original drive, the CD/DVD resets itself and will accept a disc.

Got an error:
    SWL CD detected but invalid Clamp State - please removed the (ejected) CD and either:
    a. change the clamp state to Hour Mode and re-insert the CD or
    b. press any of the Menu buttons to continue with normal operation.
    Not knowing anything about clamp state, i did b! Firmware happily updated on the old hard drive.

At this point I didn't really want to install the maps on the old hard drive. Swapped out the old drive for the SSD and tried to reinstall the 5238 firmware. Apparently, the unit might not like this. Unit probably got confused when i poked in the SWL DVD instead of the maps DVD. Same disc that worked last time isn't doing anything this time.

Have to disassemble the CD/DVD to retrieve the disc. But can't get the unit out of locked mode.

VCDS says the eject button is enabled. Apparently there is also some "transport mode", but maybe it's the same as eject button disable. Can't find anything obvious about transport mode. It appears the feature was created because cars were shipped with maps DVD in the CD/DVD drive and lots were getting nicked, so the CD/DVD lock is meant to stop people easily getting the discs out.

At this point, my RNS-510 is partly functional with firmware 5238, empty drive, no maps, no nav, until I can at least install maps on the old hard drive. Maybe it will be happy if I poke the maps dvd in to the disassembled drive and let it do it's thing. Have to burn a duplicate so the original doesn't get ruined.

(Plan C was to duplicate the drive, but my pre-reading didn't get as far as saying newer RNS-510s have 40GB drives. I was happy to get a 32GB since I don't have any music on the drive. So I can't clone the hard drive to SSD unless I get a bigger SSD.)

SSP 397 on RNS says "switch-off time" used to be called "hour mode" or "hour logic", but is now 30 mins. Not sure how that relates to the CD/DVD clamp. I'm guessing that the "clamp" requires some combination of map installation and transport mode being turned off to release the maps DVD to the vehicle owner.

My GTI says:
    Note: If you receive a clamp state error ‘a swl disk is detected but it is unvalid because of clamp state. please switch clamp state to hour mode and re insert disk’ this means you need to change the time format of the clock in the RNS 510 from 12 hour to 24 hour clock.
    Will have to try that.....

So can someone tell me how to get the CD/DVD out of "locked/clamped" mode????? I presume once I can get a disk in I will be either able to downgrade the firmware via the secret menu downgrade mode or just reinstall the same version over the top to initialise the new SSD.
    2015 Polo Comfortline 6M + Driving Comfort Package
    2011/11 Yeti 103 TDI 6M + Columbus media centre/satnav
    (2008 MY09 Polo 9N3 TDI retired hurt hail damage)

Users Country Flag
    From what I remember clamp state sort of refers to low voltage Do it with the engine running
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    From what I remember clamp state sort of refers to low voltage Do it with the engine running
    BEWARE.... You cannot load/downgrade RNS510 Firmware versions while the ignition is on or the engine is running.

To burn a new disc....this method is from mygti.com
    Loading the firmware

Warning! There is a remote chance of you ‘bricking’ the unit, this is a fraction of a percent but it could happen! The process takes around 60 minutes.

Warning! Users with cars MY07 and earlier may experience power drain issues after the upgrade. See the post “Upgrading 2nd generation radios (RCD 300, RCD 500) to 3rd generation (RCD 210, RCD 310, RNS 310, RCD 510) power drain issue” for more details.

Downloading

Download the file(s) and extract them using winrar (if required) and you will have a NRG format ISO file to burn. Using Nero burn a DVD+RW or DVD-R (CDR works as well) at a slow speed (4 x is ok for DVD and 16 x for CD). Make sure you use quality media and keep the burn speed down as low as you can to ensure there are no problems during the installation process. Also note that you may need to edit a file before you burn it (see below) if you want to access the setup menu without Vagcom/VCDS.

Steps to load firmware

Unlock and/or open the car
    Do not start the car and do not insert the key in the ignition
    Turn the RNS 510 on and insert the firmware CD/DVD into the drive
    In regards to "Clamp State" messages:

If you get a message referring to Invalid Clamp state - Remove the disc, change the clock on the dash from 12h to 24hr (or vice versa) Press Setup, i and Eject (all three buttons at same time) and then try again.
    MY16 Touareg 4.2Lt V8 TDI/Pure White LED lightbox/REDARC Brake Controller/ Racechip/iDrive Throttle controller
    2008 GOLF .:R32/5DR DBPE DSG/SUNROOF/RNS510/PRIVACY TINT/CONTI SC3s/MILLTEK CATBACK NON-RES/9W2 BT/"MYR-032"

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ Steve View Post
    BEWARE.... You cannot load/downgrade RNS510 Firmware versions while the ignition is on or the engine is running.

To burn a new disc....this method is from mygti.com

In regards to "Clamp State" messages:

If you get a message referring to Invalid Clamp state - Remove the disc, change the clock on the dash from 12h to 24hr (or vice versa) Press Setup, i and Eject (all three buttons at same time) and then try again.
    Sorry poor writing I meant just to get the CD out as he said he cant get it out
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Sorry poor writing I meant just to get the CD out as he said he cant get it out
    ok...no problem with that
    MY16 Touareg 4.2Lt V8 TDI/Pure White LED lightbox/REDARC Brake Controller/ Racechip/iDrive Throttle controller
    2008 GOLF .:R32/5DR DBPE DSG/SUNROOF/RNS510/PRIVACY TINT/CONTI SC3s/MILLTEK CATBACK NON-RES/9W2 BT/"MYR-032"

Quote Originally Posted by FJ Steve View Post
    ok...no problem with that
    currently disc is out but unit thinks it is in and wont change from locked slot. just cd/dvd error with empty disc slot.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by bluey View Post
    currently disc is out but unit thinks it is in and wont change from locked slot. just cd/dvd error with empty disc slot.
    Changed the clock/time from 12hr to 24hr?

Fixed and working again!

So, figured I had to pull apart the DVD drive. Mechanically have get mechanism and sensors into OEM state = closed with disc in. (Tried open with disc out but couldn't get it to talk.) In my case nav disc, since the system was still wanting it. Not sure why but DVD still refused to talk until I gave up and pulled out the hard drive, maybe it was that or just a second power up cycle. Then DVD spun up alive. Put hard drive back in and maps loaded. System fully functional again!

For reference, the drive mechanism is best disassembled by unscrewing the 4 screws through the rubber mounts. 2 cables to disconnect - 1 to front, 1 to right side.

see RNS510 disc stuck DVD disassembly - pics
    Last edited by bluey; 04-08-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: add link to pics