Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RNS 510 to RCD 330 conversion final touches - Help needed

Users Country Flag

RNS 510 to RCD 330 conversion final touches - Help needed

Hi All,
    Have just swapped my RNS510 for a RCD 330 (Noname 187B) with Car Play and Android Auto. My car is a 2013 Passat Alltrack . It came with Reverse Camera with bendy lines, 97w bluetooth and aux midi input as standard with the RNS 510. Also has park Pilot. I went with a RCD 330 with a rear usb cable and replaced the aux socket in the centre console bin with the usb socket to connect my phone for Android Auto.
    I knew the original camera would not work with the new head unit so I ordered a camera kit from the same seller I got the head unit from. This kit requires a new cable to be run up to the head unit. (VW Passat Jetta2012 Tiguan dynamic track parking line handle rear view camera for RCD330G Plus | RCD330 Plus | RCD330G Plus)

I've had a couple of trips away and having Android Auto is a relevation compared to how clunky the old RNS 510 was. Being able to ask for directions is very popular with my better half who ususually had to do battle with the RNS 510 multiple screens to just get down the street ( thats as long as there hadn't been any street changes in the last 7 years.)
    Yesterday it was time to install the camera. Ok no problems getting the tailgate trims off and the old camera disconnected. The new one fit exactly as it should and then I turned my attention to the cabling. The new camera has a thin coax cable with a plug that seems to carry all the wires I need. I thought it would be easy but the two cable boots on either side of the tailgate are choc full of wires and its not clear how to get the boot out of the car body. Ive pulled them both out of the tailgate and put a rod down them but I cant seem to get past the car end of the boot and into the headlining. I can feel where the cables come out but I cant get the rod past the opening so at the momemt Im stuck.

@ak7723 mentioned in another thread that he had manaaged it so I suppose I am looking for tips, hints ar anything that might assist. If that isnt possible can anyone recommend a converter that will get any sort of reverse picture on the headunit If I put my original camera back in and use the factory wiring. it wouldnt matter at all about the bendy lines>
    Any help from anyone would be greatly apprecaited.
    Cheers
    David

Users Country Flag
    Run cable along floor to stay away from Curtain airbag Just tuck it under the edge of the door sills inner edge
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Hi, I replaced my RNS510 with an MIB last year (thanks Kamold) and installed a similar camera to the one you have purchased.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest just connecting the camera harness to the head unit (coax and CAN) and power (fuse box or quadlock pwr and neg) and check it works. The image may not be all you expect and you may need a filter for the camera power input. If all that works ok, the hatch cable feed is another story entirely. In my R36 wagon, space in the rubber cable grommets sounds the same as yours. The only way I could get it to work was to cut the cable and feed it through and then down the side of the hatch to the camera, at which point you need to re-join the cable (obviously).

To make that easier, I terminated four of the of wires and staggered the placement to ensure the width was close to the original cable with pin style connectors and carefully taped the cable end to feed through the grommet. The cable (sans camera plug) will fit in the harness tube which runs from inside the roof space into the car side of the grommet.

The tricky connection was the fifth very fine coax ground wire, which is a bare copper strand that is foil shielded with the coax signal wire (usually yellow), I soldered that one. I had a some spare shielding foil which helped, but I'm told by video experts a very short break in shielding would be ok. It is critical to use shrink-on on all the joins (not the copper ground/drain).

Factory camera can work, long story short, you'll need to run coax from the where your old camera module is mounted (unplug the coax from the old camera at the module) to the Head unit. Power and ground would come from your reverse light. I'm told the VW cameras are more solid than after market, but you still may to filter the power and use a one way diode (rectifying). I note I did start down that path while messing with the aftermarket camera, but before finalising I did get the aftermarket one working.

Hope that assists, happy to expand.
    R36 Wagon MY2010.5: Biscay Blue| Dynaudio and Nav| RVC| VW tow bar|
    Mod highlights:
    ECU and DSG Tune| 3AA CCM and 7N0 Gateway| 3D colour MFD| MIB2 retrofit and 7N0 RVC| Quad LED tail, brake and indicator rings| Zimmermann Sportbrake rotors, composite pads| TPMS High| 2Q0 Blind Spot and RCTA| B8 rearview mirror|

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    thanks for the response. Got the wires through and ended up getting the camera working with the dynamic steering lines but only briefly It was great,clearer than the factory fitted camera but then it stopped working. Now I only get a black screen that briefly shows the contrast buttons and then displays a message that the"rear view camera sytem is unavailable" When I press ok it shows the park pilot screen. I have checked the coding and have factorry reverse camera turned off in the installation list and camera activated in both the radio and park assist coding. I'm pretty sure thats right as the radio knows its in reverse and attempts to show the camera display...it just doent work. Ive checked the wires at the end of the plug and one of them show 12.4 volts so I assume the camera is still getting power. I really don't know what else to do. The seller is adamant that there is a wwiring problem or I have somehow damaged the cable. He says it is highly unlikely that there is a problem with the camera module. Got any insights that may help??

Users Country Flag
    The unavailable error is odd particularly as you got it functioning. It seems like the head unit is looking for video input.

Check for CAN errors in the radio module, need high and low working for the camera.

If you can, try testing camera using a separate power supply to the cars.

The wiring could be faulty, perhaps check the stability of your re-connections and check continuity on all wires. The cameras are very power sensitive, you may need a filter.

The camera could be faulty, I had a failure and replaced one (in fact I replaced the whole harness as well).

This may sound odd, but shut the car off lock it and leave for an hour or so and check with just ignition on, select reverse and see.

A couple of other thoughts which may be fruitless as you had it working:

• When you say camera module do you mean 6c has been removed from the control module listing,
    • also in radio you have activated Rear_View_low and in Adaptions, Vehicle_configuration you have RVC_Video_input as FBAS
    • Have you unplugged the connector at the old camera module.
    R36 Wagon MY2010.5: Biscay Blue| Dynaudio and Nav| RVC| VW tow bar|
    Mod highlights:
    ECU and DSG Tune| 3AA CCM and 7N0 Gateway| 3D colour MFD| MIB2 retrofit and 7N0 RVC| Quad LED tail, brake and indicator rings| Zimmermann Sportbrake rotors, composite pads| TPMS High| 2Q0 Blind Spot and RCTA| B8 rearview mirror|

Itts really doing my head in considering it worked perfecctly (although briefly). Everything related to the old highline camera module has been removed from the car. NAvigation ,bluetooth , Camera have all been unticked in the can gateway list and camera has been activated in the radio and park assist. As I said it did work perfectly with the trajectory lines and all (much better picture than the original) so i assumed the wiring is fine.
    When I scan I get the following error in the radio
    Address 56: Radio (J503) Labels:. 5M0-035-1xx-56.clb
    Part No SW: 6RD 035 187 B HW: 6RD 035 187 A
    Component: Radio 541 5614
    Revision: -------- Serial number: VWZZZ4Q5121362
    Coding: 1600044004000C
    Shop #: WSC 00078 790 00208
    VCID: 46D5AACF08ADC79BF5F-8012

1 Fault Found:
    02873 - Control Module for Back-Up Camera (J772)
    004 - No Signal/Communication
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 01100100
    Fault Priority: 5
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Reset counter: 96
    Mileage: 77989 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2015.08.09
    Time: 11:49:43
    I clear it and it comes back as soon as I select reverse. I removed this module from the car and it shouldn't be needed as it only relates to the old highline camera?
    When I am coding the rcd 330 I dont have an option for a rear view low camera.
    Its very difficult to test the camera and the loom as its already installed .. I haven't been game to cut the connector off the loom to get at the wires yet

Users Country Flag
    Head unit is looking for a highline camera module to talk to. You don't have one.
    Check adaptations in 5F for 'VPS' and ensure it's disabled.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

hmm, i dont have one now as i took it out. i dont have a 5F in the can gateway list and when i try to access it from the Electronics2 section i get no response from the controller. when i have a look at the adaptations in the radio i only have options for driving school or test development mode. i dont know what they mean

Users Country Flag
    Ah sorry RCD330 is address 56 radio still.
    Post an adaptation channel map.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

im not sure what you mean or where to access the adaptation channel map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast