Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: RNS-510 HDD replacement/SSD swap DIY

Users Country Flag

John has left the community unfortunately and the hosted photos have expired.
    Next time I take one apart I'll try and get the photos replaced.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    I tried this upgrade about 18 months ago. I used a 160gb PATA drive at the time as others had success. What happened with my RNS is that it stopped the dvd to stop working. I put the original drive in but the dvd still didn't work. I tried a second hand dvd and everything was OK so I thought it may have been something I did to fry the drive and repeated the SSD swap. That is when I had a second fried DVD. I gave up and returned it to the HDD and a new DVD drive. I don't quite understand why this happened and have been reluctant to repeat the experiment.
    08 MY09 R32, DBP, DSG, GIAC, R8V10 reps, KW V3, RNS510/VIM/BT/MDI, region free DVD, switched Haldex, s2t paddles,HPA dogbone rubber,Mk7 climatronics, FIS+, Adams/RDA discs & Hawk pads, Garage button, GruppeM. Front fogs, Milltek. CF Chin spoiler.Strut support. LEDs Alloy front suspension bits.....
    http://photobucket.com/gregsr32

Users Country Flag
    I'm looking at giving this a bash for something to do since I like tinkering but wanted to ask a couple of questions first.

Most of the reasoning behind the upgrade for me is the speed to initially boot, especially to get to the RVC since I reverse out of my driveway and the less time I have no camera (or have to sit waiting for it) is good. So how much faster is boot up time?

Secondly, is there any recommended PATA SSD that is known to work better than others?

I'm looking at this one at the moment:
    OWC OWCSSDMXLE060 60GB Mercury Pro Legacy 3.5"... in stock at OWC

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    It won't make any difference to boot times as only the maps are installed to the HDD (and voice files).
    That drive wouldn't work I dont think as its a SATA drive, with a PATA bridge cable. The way the drive sits plugged into the board requires a PATA interface on the drive itself. The only known quantity as far as drives go that are tested are the Kingspec PATA drives.

Users Country Flag
    awwwwww...

So what's slowing down the boot time? And is there any way to speed that up?

I note the Pioneer in the Van takes some time to boot but the Camera works instantly and what seems to be completely separately to the main OS vs the RNS 510 which seems to need to be booted up to work

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    The newer RNS units boot faster.
    They boot from the internal flash memory.

My $350 Chinese Android unit in the Golf has radio ready instantly, has RVC going in about 20 seconds, and is fully booted in about 20-30 seconds.

Users Country Flag
    It's probably not that much different to my stock RNS unit at 20 seconds... so if it's not boot time, what's the benefits of an SSD? I've never noticed the maps being particularly slow to load, media doesn't need to load quickly (and I use an iPod via MDI or iPhone over Bluetooth most of the time anyway).

Users Country Flag
    The only advantage really is space.

You don't want to put a regular consumer grade spinning disk in there due to it not being designed for the environmental conditions inside an automotive head unit. A consumer SSD however runs pretty cool and has no moving parts so this is not really an issue, and costs less than an industrial grade spinning disk of similar capacity. There might be some marginal improvement in music browsing speed but I doubt that you'd really notice it.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    My $350 Chinese Android unit in the Golf has radio ready instantly, has RVC going in about 20 seconds, and is fully booted in about 20-30 seconds.
    Which particular unit do you use? I've seen various Chinese versions on eBay, but they look pretty sus.

Users Country Flag

Nah, the AN21u based units are excellent.
    There is a thread on XDA about the software (updates, how to get root access etc).
    I bought this one: Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is 2014 Pure Android 4.1 DVD GPS for VW Polo Jetta Tiguan Golf Bora Passat B5 B6 5 6 car Capacitive Screen WiFi Radio Volkswagen

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast