Support VWWC

Thread: Reverse camera doesn't pop out, but sends image ok

Reverse camera doesn't pop out, but sends image ok

Hi folks,

Got a RCD330 HU with OEM emblem camera in a 2009 Golf MK6. Camera is connected via a RGB->AV converter.

When putting her into reverse, the HU shows the camera image with 2x yellow lines overlaid on a black screen. Initially I thought perhaps the whole emblem camera & mechanism was dead. However, if I wedged open the handle a little, and pry open the camera "trapdoor" - then the housing is slightly illuminated and this shows up on the HU. If I shine a torch in there this is clearly visible on HU and it's clear the camera is functioning fine - it's just the mechanism which isn't budging.

With the car on and in reverse I've checked the 4B0973712 4-pin connector at the badge/camera and I'm getting:
    12v to pin 4 (constant power supply)
    12v to pin 3 (reverse signal)

Any ideas as to anything else to check?
    Note: I have not changed any of the VCDS coding - is this required to make it work with RCD330?

A little history...
    Car initially had a RNS510 with the OEM emblem camera and all worked fine.
    At some point the camera image would only display sometimes and eventually not at all, but the badge always popped out.
    Sold the RNS510 and replaced with RCD330. We connected up the camera, albeit probably incorrectly because the 330 never detected it and gave the usual error. So lived without the camera.
    Later the camera got "stuck" in the open position. Couldn't open the boot via the handle because of this. At this point I decided to remove the entire badge/camera assembly to troubleshoot. I found the infamous snapped wire (red or yellow) at the camera body and repaired as best I could. Also removed the motor and cleaned & lubricated moving parts with silicon paste. I was also able to get it back to "closed" position too. Once re-installed the boot latch worked again, i.e. could lift and it would release the boot. But it seems the mechanism no longer pops out the camera when put into reverse.

This is where we are now. I thought perhaps the camera needed to be connected to the HU for it to pop out. It's first time the camera has been "correctly" hooked up to the RCD330, as we've never had an image displayed without error. Now only the stuck mechanism!

Anyone got any recommendations or know of anyone that might repair such things? It seems such a waste to pay $700 for a brand new one, or $200 for an aftermarket one - then have to run new wires (argh)

Any help much appreciated!

I'm in Melbourne SE suburbs.
    Last edited by DoItYourself; 15-06-2019 at 05:41 PM.

Users Country Flag
    So the yellow wire at the badge camera goes to a white wire (for some reason they decided to use a whole heap of white wires in this setup which makes things confusing) which is the power for the badge motor.
    It's on pin 4 of the black connector that plugs into the badge camera. Assuming this is the one that was broken and is now repaired.
    Pin 5 on that same connector goes to the head unit (RNS510 or RCD510) in the 26 pin multimedia connector. This tells the badge to flip out.
    So in theory if you instead took this pin and had it wired to a digital delay relay connected to constant 12v (the rear wiper motor is a good source) and then triggered off the reverse light, you should be back in business.
    You should use a digital delay relay as the factory setup 'debounces' the reverse badge by keeping it open for 30 seconds after you go back into a forward gear. If you are maneuvering in a car park you don't want the badge flipping open and closed just off the reverse light, as the head unit will lose the video signal.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Hi Kamold,
    Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated! Sorry for the looong-winded response!

"So the yellow wire at the badge camera goes to a white wire (for some reason they decided to use a whole heap of white wires in this setup which makes things confusing) which is the power for the badge motor.
    It's on pin 4 of the black connector that plugs into the badge camera. Assuming this is the one that was broken and is now repaired." That yellow wire was repaired but goes directly into the camera module. Is the motor not powered from one of the 4 white wires on connector 4B0973712? (see below).

"Pin 5 on that same connector goes to the head unit (RNS510 or RCD510) in the 26 pin multimedia connector. This tells the badge to flip out." I don't have a connector with a 5th pin, other than right on the camera itself there is an 8-pin connector. (see below). I don't have a (RNS510 or RCD510) ... I've got the RCD330 with an RGB -> AV converter which takes the 26-pin into a single RCA-type connector. 26 PIN RGB to CVBS (RCA) AV Converter for VW Original Camera Output to headunit | eBay At converter I've tied yellow+red to +ve 12v and black to GND (for testing purposes).
    Reverse camera doesn't pop out, but sends image ok-s-l1600-jpg

So I'm a little confused. The only yellow wire I have, in the trunk, seems to go to the camera module, not the motor. The Have posted some pics below of my setup and also some diags/pinouts from other threads.

Trunk setup. Note: red and yellow wires are broken off from the camera module before they were repaired.
    Reverse camera doesn't pop out, but sends image ok-img-9825-jpg

Below image shows 4-pin 4B0973712 connector going into the motor housing (bottom left, 4x white wires). Also shows 1J0973802 presumably latch switch? (top right, 2x brown/blue wires)
    Reverse camera doesn't pop out, but sends image ok-img-9826-jpg

Below image shows 4-pin 3B0972722 connector with white wires changing to red, yellow and brown going to the camera module.
    Reverse camera doesn't pop out, but sends image ok-img-9827-jpg

Reverse camera doesn't pop out, but sends image ok-vw_rvc_golf_mk_6_connectors-jpg
    above image from Installing a Golf Mark VI Rear View Camera (RVC) into a Golf Mark VI

Reverse camera doesn't pop out, but sends image ok-vw_rvc_golf_mk_6_hatch_loom_layout_1-jpg
    above image from Installing a Golf Mark VI Rear View Camera (RVC) into a Golf Mark VI

Guessing below schematic is for the camera module only (no motor?) It shows the red, yellow and brown wires changing to white, presumably on the 4-pin 3B0972722 above.
    Reverse camera doesn't pop out, but sends image ok-r_cam_schm-camera-pinout-jpg
    above image from 187B with OEM reverse camera installation

Reverse camera doesn't pop out, but sends image ok-golf-backup-camera-adapter-png
    above image from OEM backup camera installation for mk5-mk6 VW Golf hatch badge | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

Camera module removed
    Reverse camera doesn't pop out, but sends image ok-img-0029-jpg

Wires exiting the camera module, yellow and brown snapped off, only red remains
    Reverse camera doesn't pop out, but sends image ok-img-0030-jpg

8-pin connector at the camera module, under heat-shrink, all wires attached (side-1)
    Reverse camera doesn't pop out, but sends image ok-20170509_102229_zpsuv3tbcso-jpg
    above image from https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewt...b5867&start=25

8-pin connector at the camera module, under heat-shrink, all wires attached (side-2)
    Reverse camera doesn't pop out, but sends image ok-20170509_102258_zpsjanpmux0-jpg
    above image from https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewt...b5867&start=25
    Last edited by DoItYourself; 16-06-2019 at 10:17 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Thank you for the data dump.
    I'll try and have a look at it tomorrow.
    In the mean time do you have a question?
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag

Ilan: Thanks for the PM

My wiring diagrams are a little different, but they support your interpretation: there are ostensibly 2 x basic functions that the connector on the end of the Reverse Camera (RC) undertakes: 1= RC video signal & 2= RC control

The RC video function is clearly for the 5 x wires that directly connect between J503 and R189 (notice the dotted line circle in the wiring diagram above joining to the black wire (sheath) that connects to pin #24 on J503).

The RC control function is the remaining 3 x wires – being :

· Red wire: +12v to pin #4 ( this is a "Terminal 30" supply from Fuse 16 on the “C” fuse holder)

· Yellow wire: +12v to pin #3 (reverse signal that triggers the RC to open/close- it is supplied via the BCM on pin#28, socket C and it also connects to the right-side reversing light)

· Brown wire:Earth to pin #2

Since you have already confirmed that the RC video function is OK – I would grab a multi-meter and check the state of the 3 x RC control wires in the car's wiring loom at the RC connector (include a continuity test on the earth wire).

If the earth wire is OK and the +12 Volt wires appear at the RC connector when they should– logic dictates that the fault must be downstream of the connector. If so either dismantle the RC and trace fault, or source a second-hand RC from a wrecker

See you tomorrow
    Don

Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.