Support VWWC

Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing RNS 510 with RCD 330+

Users Country Flag

Question Replacing RNS 510 with RCD 330+

Hey guys,

I just finished replacing my RNS 510 in my VW Golf with a RCD 330+ and I'm loving it! It is so much more responsive than RNS 510 and it is capable of mirrorlink It's also plug and play, which is awesome .

But I'm having an issue connecting the OEM reverse camera. The seller provided an adapter for the RCD 330 to RGB but I've been trying to find an adapter for the rectangular SCART looking connector to a male RGB connector, but no hope so far. Does anyone know what the connector is called/where I can find an adapter for it?

Replacing RNS 510 with RCD 330+-dsc_1159-jpg

Thanks,

ps. Hit me up if you have any questions about the RCD330+. I've done my fair share of research and I'll help you where I can.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Apparently I'm not as good as I used to be with google. I think that this will do the trick: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High...737938580.html

Users Country Flag
    Yep that's what you'll need.
    If the rcd330g plus had android auto it would be a really compelling option.
    It seems a major oversight but it's for the Chinese market so I guess they don't use it there?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Is this a CarPlay compatible unit and is it a straight swap for an RNS-510? What part does OEM Bluetooth (9w7) play, if any?
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Users Country Flag
    Yes it does support CarPlay. Bluetooth is integrated in the unit, no external module is required (or works with it)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

You can find the CarPlay compatible one here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Carp...791999739.html

So the story is that there are 2 types of RCD330 plus, one is made by 'noname' and the other is made by 'desay'. The noname one is compatible with CarPlay and is running a linux OS whereas the desay one is running windows CE. But saying that, not all noname ones have CarPlay, you need to solder on extra ram and then flash it. I'm assuming that the seller from the link above has already done this. Also, the currently CarPlay firmware is buggy, it is only a beta version.

... I only found this out AFTER I purchased the desay one, doesn't make much of a difference as I've got an android phone. Still hurts a little bit inside.

In regards to your question about it being a straight swap, it is! And there is no need for a separate bluetooth module. It is all included in the RCD330 plus package. Thats why I swapped out my RNS510, I wanted bluetooth and its actually cheaper for me to buy this than the 9w7.

The general consensus seems to be that the noname verion will receive firmware updates sooner than the desay ones. So take that into account if you're thinking of purchasing one. But they are more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    If the rcd330g plus had android auto it would be a really compelling option.
    It seems a major oversight but it's for the Chinese market so I guess they don't use it there?
    I don't think that it was an oversight but yeah, the market for apple products are much higher in China. The beta version of the firmware with CarPlay was just "released" so I'm sure that it'll come soon enough.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcorecrayon View Post
    In regards to your question about it being a straight swap, it is! And there is no need for a separate bluetooth module. It is all included in the RCD330 plus package. Thats why I swapped out my RNS510, I wanted bluetooth and its actually cheaper for me to buy this than the 9w7.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Yes it does support CarPlay. Bluetooth is integrated in the unit, no external module is required (or works with it)
    So my 9w7 is redundant. What about the GPS antenna, or is navigation only on the Apple CarPlay side, so uses the connected iPhone?
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcorecrayon View Post
    You can find the CarPlay compatible one here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Carp...791999739.html
    Sorry, another question: is there only one front-facing USB port, or is there another one at the rear too?

Quote Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
    Sorry, another question: is there only one front-facing USB port, or is there another one at the rear too?
    No problem, there is only a front facing one. This is what the rear looks like:

Last edited by tigger73; 30-10-2017 at 09:10 PM.

Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast