Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing RNS 510 with RCD 330+

Users Country Flag

Gps is via your phone only. Factory GPS antenna is not relevant

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

you can buy a standalone GPS unit for it. You have to take it apart to connect it up, not sure why you would bother since nearly everyone has traffic enabled GPS on their phones. I believe it only works with the Desay brand headunit too.

I have a question about your OEM camera connection, I've just bought a RCD330 and I'm trying to work out which aftermarket camera I should get. If you need that converter you linked does that mean this unit only has a single composite video input where as the RCD510/RNS510 have component (RGB)?

I was reading: VWVortex.com - HOW TO: Passat B7 Rear View Camera Install
    and noticed a bloke talking about splitting the OEM 26pin plug into separate wires for other headunits. Doing that will would keep the RGB image and I assume a higher quality image, not sure if it's noticeable on these small screens.

Anyone know if the difference in image quality of RGB cameras and the cheaper yellow plugged composite cameras noticeable? If so does anyone have a pin-layout for the rear of the RCD330 so we can confirm that it doesn't have RGB input as well as composite.

Users Country Flag
    I believe the unit only has a composite video input.
    Don't quote me as I've never seen one.
    If that is indeed the case you should be able to use whatever aftermarket camera you like.
    I would suggest trawling other forums to get some links to actual models that people have used as quality on these cheap cameras can vary widely.
    You will probably also need a digital delay timer as I've read they don't like being switched off and onto camera ie when parking and going reverse to first to reverse and you can get a corrupted image on screen.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by water_Jetta View Post
    I have a question about your OEM camera connection, I've just bought a RCD330 and I'm trying to work out which aftermarket camera I should get. If you need that converter you linked does that mean this unit only has a single composite video input where as the RCD510/RNS510 have component (RGB)?
    The RCD330 doesnt have a composite video input, thats why the sellers are usually providing a "free" camera adapter like this guy: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...651650889.html

Here is what the rear of the RCD330 looks like: http://g03.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1TX6WM...Xq6xXFXXXR.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by water_Jetta View Post
    I was reading: VWVortex.com - HOW TO: Passat B7 Rear View Camera Install
    and noticed a bloke talking about splitting the OEM 26pin plug into separate wires for other headunits. Doing that will would keep the RGB image and I assume a higher quality image, not sure if it's noticeable on these small screens.
    I personally wouldn't even bother with the OEM rear camera if I was you, I wouldn't notice the difference in quality unless I had images side by side.

I'm just going to put this out there for anyone who stumbles onto this thread.

If you're excited about having mirrorlink in your car, dont... There are so many issues with it and there are only a handful of apps that are supported by it. Makes me sad

Users Country Flag
    Hey Guys,

Thinking about getting one of these for my 08 R36 just have a few questions for people willing to help.

I assume from what I've already read that i was lose the Volume and Seek button functionality from my steering wheel? (It's an 8 button wheel.)

My current unit is an RCD510. I currently get the Optical Parking System display when I reverse, will this be replaced with Park Pilot or will I lose this functionality?

If I choose to connect a reverse camera to the car will i be able to get Park Pilot to the side of the screen?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyr36 View Post
    Hey Guys,

Thinking about getting one of these for my 08 R36 just have a few questions for people willing to help.

I assume from what I've already read that i was lose the Volume and Seek button functionality from my steering wheel? (It's an 8 button wheel.)

My current unit is an RCD510. I currently get the Optical Parking System display when I reverse, will this be replaced with Park Pilot or will I lose this functionality?

If I choose to connect a reverse camera to the car will i be able to get Park Pilot to the side of the screen?

Thanks in advance!

Michael
    I'm not sure about the 8 button steering wheel. All the buttons work on the mk6 steering wheel.

I wasn't sure what the park pilot and optical parking system were so I quickly googled them. Park pilot = gives audible tone dependent on how close you are to the object and optical parking system = on screen indication of distance. If that's the case, my OEM optical parking system is working perfectly, was just plug and play.

The 3rd question is the one that confuses me... if the park pilot just releases an audible tone, why do you need it on the side of the screen? Either way, this is moot as the optical parking system should still work (unless my definitions are wrong)

Cheers,

Users Country Flag
    Ok,

So you you still get the visual of the car on the screen when parking? I thought the name of the feature had been changed to Park Pilot but maybe I'm wrong. (Probably, definitely me.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mikeyr36; 08-04-2017 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Speeling.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyr36 View Post
    Ok,

So you you still get the visual of the car on the screen when parking? I thought the name of the feature had been changed to Park Pilot but maybe I'm wrong. (Probably, definitely me.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup! Looks like this: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/z2KwYZMy3dw/maxresdefault.jpg

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by hardcorecrayon View Post
    I'm not sure about the 8 button steering wheel. All the buttons work on the mk6 steering wheel.

I wasn't sure what the park pilot and optical parking system were so I quickly googled them. Park pilot = gives audible tone dependent on how close you are to the object and optical parking system = on screen indication of distance. If that's the case, my OEM optical parking system is working perfectly, was just plug and play.

The 3rd question is the one that confuses me... if the park pilot just releases an audible tone, why do you need it on the side of the screen? Either way, this is moot as the optical parking system should still work (unless my definitions are wrong)

Cheers,
    Thanks for those answers @hardcorecrayon. What about MFD integration? Do the music/radio and telephone pages show up? I'd ask about navigation too, but you don't have the CarPlay version. If anyone else can chime in...
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast