Support VWWC

Thread: Recommendations/Advice for head unit R36

Users Country Flag

Recommendations/Advice for head unit R36

Hi all,

Can I ask for recommendations/advice please?

I have a 2010 R36 wagon, which was ordered by the original owner with the standard radio (310?) but is apparently fitted with the premium sound speaker system and the underseat BT unit.

The owner immediately replaced the radio unit with a Chinese media unit with BT, DVD player, SD card and navigation.

To me, that unit was never very satisfactory (for one thing, the microphone for the Hands Free was useless, the navigation was pretty crude and the AM radio virtually unusable - FM OK) Now the screen is virtually invisible in daylight and it has started turning itself off and on every few minutes.

So what we need is something much better.

These are the things that are importeant to me - and more importantly, to the wife.

- Excellent AM/FM radio reception - we are in Rural Victoria
    - Either USB/SD card (or both) media playback
    - BT phone call connectivity (iPhone)
    - A good navigation app would be desirable, but not necessarily essential.
    - We dont need DVD, or probably even CD
    - A bright screen that is easily seen in bright daylight.
    - Integration with the white MFD system and the steering wheel controls
    - Ability to connect to the parking sensors and a reversing camera (which we will also need to acquire)
    - Prefereably looks the same style as the OEM units, but again not a deal breaker.

I am not qualified to self install so I would welcome knowledgeable VW supplier/installer recommendations, preferably in Eastern Victoria or Melbourne.

The OEM 510 type is probably too expensive for us, but open to it. I am thinking budget around $1000, but not fixed on that if I am being unrealistic.

Thanks.
    Last edited by profrat; 19-08-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Users Country Flag
    The best solution that meets all of your requirements is the OEM Discover Media unit, but it will exceed your budget, particularly if you need to pay for a professional installation.
    And any aftermarket solution that satisfies your criteria will also blow your budget (installation including wiring in a reverse camera will chew up a lot).
    You can meet some of your requirements with an RCD330, however it doesn't have AM reception, MFD integration, navigation, steering wheel controls (can get an adapter) or proper amplifier integration.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Many thanks.
    So it seems, as I feared, I am being unrealistic on the cost.
    Roughly, what sort of $ would I be looking at for your first option?
    Last edited by profrat; 25-08-2019 at 10:16 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I have been having a look at the two suggestions from Kamold.

The RCD330 is a possibility. It looks like that may cost around $900 for the unit with accessories and a camera would be extra again.
    No idea yet on intallation costs.

Then I noticed that Kamold started a thread on the OEM Discover Media unit. Can someone who has fitted one of these comment on likely costs please.

Users Country Flag
    You can get a RCD330 for around $500 for the No Name,
    or around $400 for the Desay.
    I reccomend the No name, because you can easily update firmware.
    I have one in my R36.
    Love it.

RCD330 is ok, but will take a hit in sound quality if that matters to you. It sounds more tinny compared to either RCD510 or RCD310s in my old MK5's.

Discover Media is obviously the way to go for an OEM+ setup. There seem to be units that pop up now and then on eBay. I would go down this route but am satisfied with my RNS510 setup now that I have the BT module fitted. I have seen RNS510 units pop up from time-to-time for not a lot more than RCD330/340 units go for.
    '18 MY18.5 MK3.5 Octavia vRS245
    Previous - 2015 MY16 MK7 R, 2010 MY10 R36 DSG, 2010 MK6 Golf GTI DSG // APR Stage 2, 2006 MK5 Jetta TFSI DSG // Revo Stage 2, 2006 MK5 Golf GTI Manual