Thread: RCD330 RVC Adaptor Cables

Users Country Flag

RCD330 RVC Adaptor Cables

So this seems to be the most frequently asked question on forums / FB groups regarding the RCD330 / RCD330G / RCD340...

"Where do I plug this in?"

RCD330 RVC Adaptor Cables-20180113_105010-jpg

This cable comes with most RCD330s. It is the video input adaptor for the reversing camera (RVC).

What many people don't realise is that the "Quadlock" connector that goes into the back of your radio is actually made up of four separate connectors. The black, beige, green and blue sections are all separate parts.

RCD330 RVC Adaptor Cables-ekm5c6-jpg

The configuration of '1' and '2' can be different depending on which options your car came with from the factory, but '3' is generally the speakers and '4' is the power + CAN.

For example, my Mk6 R was optioned with Bluetooth and MDI, so I had the Bluetooth module in slot '1' (blue plug) and the MDI in slot '2' (green plug).

The RCD330 isn't compatible with any of the old modules you might have, so it's a good idea to remove whatever you have in slots 1 and 2. To do this, use a small screwdriver to lift the tab (circled below), then push the small plugs backward and out of the Quadlock. Tape / cable tie them neatly out of the way.

RCD330 RVC Adaptor Cables-20180113_104756-jpg

Before plugging in the RVC adaptor, check which slot it is supposed to go into. There will be a diagram on the lid of your new RCD330. You can see in the pic below that the adaptor goes into slot '1' on my Crngiar unit.

RCD330 RVC Adaptor Cables-img_5894-jpg

When you're done it should look something like this:

RCD330 RVC Adaptor Cables-20180113_115224-jpg

And that's that!

Please note that this adaptor only provides the video input to the unit. If you're wanting to use your OEM camera (with the 26 pin yellow plug) you will need an additional converter - there are many threads on this already.

----

Bonus! Why is my radio reception so bad?

A lot of VW's have a 'diversity' antenna. That is, two separate antennas which are combined through a small amp to provide strong AM and FM reception.

The RCD330 does not have a diversity antenna input (only 1 antenna socket), so most RCD330's come with a dodgy single channel adaptor ('1' in the pic below). This basically means you have to choose AM or FM radio, both with bad reception.

RCD330 RVC Adaptor Cables-20180113_104510-jpg

The best option is to get your hands on a 2-into-1 adaptor ('2' in the pic above). The reception will never be as strong as your old radio, but it's much much better with both antennas connected rather than just one.

If you search eBay for 'FAKRA two into one adaptor' you'll find what you need. Make sure you buy a 2x Male into 1x Female adaptor (as per the pic)!

Hope this helps someone!
    Last edited by AndyTTR; 09-07-2018 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Fixing picture links.

Really appreciate this. Thank you.