Support VWWC

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RCD330+ OEM Camera connection

RCD330+ OEM Camera connection

Hi guys

I'm still having trouble with this so thought I'd start a new thread and share what I've learnt with others on the same mission. Maybe the group intelligence will get it solved...

My goal is to retain the factory camera with dynamic trajectory. If possible...

Car is a 2009 Passat R36 wagon ex-Japan.

I have the crngiar Android Auto RCD330+ head unit. HW:534. SW: 5515 pre-installed.

Everything on the head unit works as it should except I get an error message when selecting reverse that the "rear view" camera system is currently unavailable. A few seconds later park pilot activates on the screen and works as it should.

With the rear tail gate open I just get park pilot - no error message, no camera. So the system is correctly detecting the tailgate is open.

I've tried installing one of those ebay / aliexpress 26 pin RGB-CVBS converters but no good. Today just to be certain I had wired it correctly I tapped the yellow wire (back/reverse) into the reverse light (previously it was just constant 12V) but still no dice. I'm getting +12V at red, have tested ground, and was getting +12v at the reverse/back wire.

So I decided to pull the rear panel off the tailgate and take a look at the camera wiring which is where things get interesting. There are 6 wires coming off the tailgate handle:

2x black with their own harness - presumably for the tailgate latch.

4x coming off the camera:

red and black to their own harness. I measured 6V across these wires when reverse is selected (tailgate up) and nothing when in Park.

yellow and black to a shielded coax-style connector (grey with purple in photo)

So this is not an RGB output then?! But rather looks like coax? Anyone familiar with this?

It raises a couple of questions:

Where do the dynamic trajectory lines get added? They obviously need steering wheel input and then get overlaid. CANbus function?

More interestingly - if it's a coax output, does the factory setup then convert this to RGB somewhere before outputting it to the 26-pin connector? Why?

And if so I would be able, theoretically, to connect a coax cable with RCA connector to these two wires and plug it straight into the RCD330+ RCA-in albeit without trajectory lines?

Also, there should be no reason why the RGB-CVBS converter doesn't work as surely it is just taking the video signal from the 26-pin connector and converting it? Unless that connector also needs some sort of input to let it know it's connected to a headunit before it outputs a signal?

Anyone able to share their experiences or shed any light on any of these questions?

Notice this "OEM" RGB camera on ebay has 4 pins outputting the camera signal - presumably RGB and Sync? Very strange mine only has the two wires.

Users Country Flag
    The highline camera module (ie with bending guidelines) has a composite camera that connects to the camera control module which is in the right hand side of the boot behind the removable trim panel. It's mounted on the floor.
    This module takes the camera image and overlays the guidelines with data input from the steering angle sensor to produce the moving lines.

Yes you could bypass the RVC highline module and feed the composite video straight to the head unit, losing guidelines and gaining some image quality in the process. You would need to add a digital delay relay for power, triggered off the reverse light circuit.

However you would in general want to keep the highline features, as you mentioned.

I don't have a RCD330G nor have I seen one. I have a Discover Media which uses the same composite video input however. In my case I upgraded my highline RVC module to the 7N0907441B from My16 Tiguan as it provides the guidlines, but outputs composite video rather than RGBS.

In theory you should just be able to convert the RGBS video output from your highline RVC module to composite and configure the head unit for RVC low and it should work.
    I have done this on a couple of Mk5 Golfs with OEM lowline cameras to Discover Media and it works perfectly as long as the adaptation channels are correct.

In the case of the RCD330G I am not sure these adaptation channels exist - worth checking, as you have PDC installed:
    ENG122229-ENG117711-Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-parking_assist_0x0A_msg_bus - change to "Terminal 15"
    ENG122228-ENG117685-Car_Function_List_CAN_Gen2-PDC_audio_lowering - change to "Available"
    ENG122228-ENG117686-Car_Function_List_CAN_Gen2-PDC_audio_lowering_msg_bus - change to "Terminal 15"
    ENG122227-ENG117496-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_pdc - change to "Activated"
    ENG122227-ENG117499-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_pdc_standstill - change to "Activated"

Your RGBS converter should be constantly powered, but you don't need to connect the yellow reverse trigger wire to anything, just tape it up.
    Last edited by kamold; 21-01-2018 at 12:15 PM.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Thanks. That's the most helpful response on this topic I've seen. I've been in the garage since my last post and I had found the control module location (but didn't bother accessing it just yet) and worked out what you've said about how it works and intereacts with the camera and CAN bus - but thanks for confirming my theory.

I've also tested a bunch of voltages at the head unit end to make sure I was getting signal to the converter, and temporarily reinstalling my RNS510 to check I hadn't accidentally fried something (I haven't).

So on that basis, the 26-pin RGB-CVBS converter should, in theory, work. So either I have a dud, or there is something else going on...

I've checked for voltage on all the pins on the converter. I get constantly 2-3V from each R, G & B from the factory 26 pin harness. Even with ignition off. Not sure if this is correct? I get 1-2V across the RCA out pins except when I select reverse then I get 0V. There is a good chance this is the problem, but why this is happening I have no idea. I might try another converter from a different supplier in case this is the issue all along. Anyone recommend one they know works?

The other option is incorrect coding in the unit perhaps as you suggest. I've been looking for an excuse to get VCDS so this is it I'm thinking. Will put my order in and if all's well there, buy another RGB to CVBS converter.

Users Country Flag
    In the Discover Media there is also an adaptation channel for RVC video input which has to be set to 'FBAS' (Composite).
    ENG109862-ENG126143-Vehicle_configuration-RVC_video_input

Again I have no idea if this adaptation channel exists in an RCD330G, maybe someone who owns one could assist with uploading a complete adaptation channel map, if there even are adaptation channels in the device?

I have successfully used this converter for Golf OEM lowline RVC connected to Discover Media head units, though never in an RCD330G:
    26 PIN RGB to CVBS (RCA) AV Converter for Volkswagen Factory Original Camera Output to After Market Head Unit DVD-in Vehicle Camera from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

That's the one I have (same seller). I emailed them about my problem and they said it could be that I needed a different unit that has been more successful with the dynamic line trajectory cameras. But no guarantee. So I didn't order it and hence started my own trouble-shooting.

The radio came coded for camera (at my request) so while it's possible there are some other changes to be made, I would have thought a composite input is a composite input as far as the radio is concerned and so it should've worked.

I'm not sure whether to try a different converter or what now to be honest. Might have to give one a go just to rule it out.

Users Country Flag
    FWIW I bought my RCD330 from the same seller as you posted in the other thread, and my composite camera worked fine straight out of the box (Mk6 Golf with non-genuine flip-badge camera).

If that's anything to go by, you could eliminate the unit itself as the source of the problem?

EDIT: Have you plugged the composite output into a monitor to see if the adaptor is actually outputting a signal?
    Last edited by AndyTTR; 21-01-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Thought of that today but the only display I have is the one bolted to our living room wall so will try think of a different way to rest.

Users Country Flag
    Bump

I'm getting the same problem, I have tested two different adapters and they both have the same out come.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Update:

Plugging composite out from converter into my tv doesn't give an image either.

That would potentially point to the converter except:

Plugging my DVD player into the input for head unit doesnt produce an image on it either. If I wait until after I select reverse to quickly connect the DVD player I don't get the error message about camera not available so it's possible that it is detecting the signal but it isn't compatible?

I'm starting to wonder if the factory highline camera computer module needs some sort of canbus activation from the head unit?

Anyone know?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast