Thread: Park assist buzzer (H15) failed and disabled my reverse camera

Users Country Flag

Park assist buzzer (H15) failed and disabled my reverse camera

This is just a heads up for anyone trying to diagnose a failed reverse camera.

The Park Assist system on my B7 Passat stopped working (beepers, proximity indications and reverse camera). After many hours of troubleshooting I tracked it down to a dead reverse buzzer. It's just a 50 ohm, 36mm diameter mylar speaker. Mine was open circuit. That was enough to cause the Park Assist system to fail its power-up test and shut the whole system down. It was giving error code 1080340. I can't believe VW would design the system that way.

To make things worse, the buzzer is located under the rear parcel shelf. To access it you have to remove the C pillar trims, bench seat, side airbags and the parcel shelf. It's an incredibly stupid place to put it. Had VW mounted it from inside the boot it would have been a 2 minute job.

I have pulled the buzzer cable back into the RH wheel well where it exits from. I will mount the replacement buzzer in there so if I ever need to replace it again it will be a simple job. It won't be as loud, but I had the beepers switched off anyway so I don't care. Currently there's a 47 ohm resistor plugged into the socket. That tricks the system into working.

Hope this helps someone one day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Park assist buzzer (H15) failed and disabled my reverse camera-passat-rear-buzzer-h15-jpg   Park assist buzzer (H15) failed and disabled my reverse camera-img_7394-jpg  

Last edited by jack in oz; 03-01-2021 at 01:33 PM. Reason: add picture

Users Country Flag
    Had the same issue with the '09 Tiguan. The buzzer that failed was around the steering column behind another module. My triple jointed hand saved the day. I have no idea what VW puts these "consumable" items in such difficult to reach places.

I have just joined ans possibly same issue . I'm guessing your car is a right hand drive ? Had a look in the repair manual and it looks a right pain to get to ? I'm even thinking of getting it from the boot by cutting a piece of metal out of the parcel shelf ?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark1316 View Post
    I have just joined ans possibly same issue . I'm guessing your car is a right hand drive ? Had a look in the repair manual and it looks a right pain to get to ? I'm even thinking of getting it from the boot by cutting a piece of metal out of the parcel shelf ?
    Yes, right hand drive. If you can cut the metal without damaging the shelf that sits on top of it, that would be a MUCH easier way of replacing the beeper.

Users Country Flag
    You should be able to get to the wiring from the RH side wheel well; taking the trim out of the boot is much easier, and re-terminating the wire there might be much simpler, and you can just wire up a simple, cheap speaker instead of the $100+ VW want for the tiny speaker.
    (Yes I paid that when my front one went )
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by MIG View Post
    You should be able to get to the wiring from the RH side wheel well; taking the trim out of the boot is much easier, and re-terminating the wire there might be much simpler, and you can just wire up a simple, cheap speaker instead of the $100+ VW want for the tiny speaker.
    That's an excellent idea. Just make sure the speaker you buy is 50 ohms. Most speakers are 8 ohms and might fail the self-test. I think I paid $15 on eBay for an aftermarket buzzer identical to the original.