Support VWWC

Thread: MIB2 in Octavia Mk2 (MK6 Platform) - WIP

Users Country Flag

MIB2 in Octavia Mk2 (MK6 Platform) - WIP

Hi All,

Been a while between visits but I thought I would share the project that I've been working on. VAG have been making MIB and MIBII based units for use in their mk6 era cars for a while now, quite a few are even available here locally (Transporter, New Beetle, Jetta and Yeti). I've been researching the idea of retrofitting one into my Mk2 Facelift Octavia RS as I was getting tiresome of the Columbus/RNS510's slow UI and buggy bluetooth, plus I wanted CarPlay.

I was lucky enough to score a MIBII headhunt from a wrecked MY16 Skoda Yeti from the UK for about $300. Once I got some harnesses I fashioned my own 40pin to 52pin quad lock adapter and here are the results so far.

MIB2 in Octavia Mk2 (MK6 Platform) - WIP-img_9642-2-jpg MIB2 in Octavia Mk2 (MK6 Platform) - WIP-img_9645-2-jpg

MIB2 in Octavia Mk2 (MK6 Platform) - WIP-img_9653-2-jpg MIB2 in Octavia Mk2 (MK6 Platform) - WIP-img_9661-jpg

Obviously CP is an issue, but hopefully I'll have good news about it Monday
    Last edited by readerr0r; 02-04-2016 at 10:56 PM.
    MY16 Octavia RS 162 Race Blue Combi

MY12 Skoda Octavia RS 147 Black Combi - Sold

Users Country Flag
    Thats very cool!
    Do any functions other than media work? eg Android Auto/Carplay, or bluetooth?
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Do any functions other than media work? eg Android Auto/Carplay, or bluetooth?
    Thanks!

The phone side of the bluetooth works fine, talks to the centre dash screen fine. Steering wheel controls (volume etc.) work fine too, which is a big relief on my part. Unfortunately Smartlink (Carplay/Android Auto) is an optional extra on Skoda Yetis in the UK so mine needs an activation key. I can get that from the UK for about $220, but I'll see how much it is from dealers here. I'll also need to source the CarPlay compatible USB socket - 5Q0035726E, below - since my Octavia obviously doesn't have that. I'm waiting to make sure I can actually clear the CP before going through with that though!

MIB2 in Octavia Mk2 (MK6 Platform) - WIP-38d51d2ddd9becac1df3d1dc624dd765-jpg

Once I've got all that sorted I'll get to posting a full guide
    Last edited by readerr0r; 03-04-2016 at 01:56 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Couple more questions if I may as I'm interested in this:
    I've had to replace that USB connection to upgrade from mib1 to mib2 for Carplay to work. (That's not a question...)

Did you use your existing oem mic for the Bluetooth component?

I presume you can't get navigation to work so will hope for AA/carplay for Google or Apple maps respectively?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Couple more questions if I may as I'm interested in this:
    I've had to replace that USB connection to upgrade from mib1 to mib2 for Carplay to work. (That's not a question...)

Did you use your existing oem mic for the Bluetooth component?

I presume you can't get navigation to work so will hope for AA/carplay for Google or Apple maps respectively?

In theory the BT mic _should_ work, the pins might need moving around in the connectors I haven't had a chance to test as the CP mutes the audio on the head unit I doubt the pins have been moved between MIB1 and MIB2.

The unit I purchased didn't have nav (its one of the reasons why it was so cheap), so I'll be reliant on SmartLink for all of that

Where did you source the USB connector? I can find them overseas from $30 or so but then they charge $100 shipping :S

Users Country Flag
    I just did the installation. Parts came from VW Central.

Users Country Flag
    How did you guys manage to get on with this one? Seen a few threads around the place suggesting it is possible, wondering if there has been any further development?
    MY10 Golf Mk6 103TDI DSG Candy White | Revo Stage 1 ECU Tune | 18" Talladegas | GTI Front/Rear/Exhaust | R LED Taillights | GTI Steering Wheel | VW Discover Media | Focal IFVW Front Speakers | Mk7 Climatronic Panel |

Hi,

A friend of mine from China has the same style of car, Octavia rs Mk2. He wishes to install mib2, however, doesn't know how to remove the CP. If you have any idea how, please reply in your earliest convenience.

Thank you.