Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MDI ipod distortion

Users Country Flag

MDI ipod distortion

I have just picked up a new skoka superb with the equivalent of rns-510. The unit has the mdi attached but the quality of the sound from an ipod is shocking. It is very distorted at all levels. I have ensured the aux input level is low. Have tried various ipods / iphones. When playing the same mp3's via the SD card all is great but the same files via the mdi are rubbish.

I have tried reconnecting the ipod adaptor, made all files on ipod 128kbps AAC lossless or mp3 at 128kbps or 64kbps all are distorted to some degree.

Is this a problem with mdi or am I missing some part of the setup?

thanks

Chris

Users Country Flag
    You arnt running Equalisation on your iPod are you?

(extra bass to make up for those flaccid white earbuds perhaps?)

Having a Gap Year!!!!
    what next?... what next?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Equalisation is off, have also tried flat any other settings but still the same or worse

In the HU settings menu find "AUX input level' and set it to Low. Might have to restart the HU after.

my glovebox dealer fitted mdi in my octavia RS is ****house as well with distortion on all compressions of music data and at low input levels.. i end up running it through bluetooth and using the mdi as a charger.

ive tested the cables and ipods/iphones in my R which has factory fitted console mdi and it is crystal clear.

so i'm guessing it could be a dud mdi cable or the connection is not in properly in the back of the unit.. i'll get em to check it out at its service in november. but yeh i know exactly what you're on about and it shat me to tears early on.

I'm having the same issue with my dealer fitted MDI, have taken it back and they changed some part and said its working fine, well it's not, its the same! sigh....Did anyone ever get to the bottom of it?
    MY11 VW Golf 118tsi, Silver, 6 Speed Manual, MDI, RCD510 touch screen, tinted windows.......more to come.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_R View Post
    In the HU settings menu find "AUX input level' and set it to Low. Might have to restart the HU after.
    I've assisted around 10 members with this issue in the past.

In each case, the problem was the Aux input level was set to medium or high.

Can everyone experiencing this issue please check this setting.

The AUX input line into the head unit is used by the MDI device for audio output as well as the AUX 3.5mm jack so it needs to be set to LOW (line level) or else the MDI output will be too great and the audio will distort.

Guess most people just don't expect it's an analog connection* since the HU can display file structure, etc. The MDI itself (there's a little box that the USB/iPod cable plugs into) with a PCB in it that does the DAC work.

* (streaming audio via wires to HU compared to digital in the sense of an SD card connected directly)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_R View Post
    Guess most people just don't expect it's an analog connection* since the HU can display file structure, etc. The MDI itself (there's a little box that the USB/iPod cable plugs into) with a PCB in it that does the DAC work.

* (streaming audio via wires to HU compared to digital in the sense of an SD card connected directly)

Actually, for iPod connectivity, there is no DAC work done at all by MDI/headunit. That's only for file format connectivity (usb drives / hdds / etc) via MDI. For iPod/iPhone, the line level output from the dock connector using the dac in the device is piped through the MDI device into the headunit directly. This is how it's always been. The MDI device acts as a controller or moderator for interface display on the RCD/RNS.

This line level output from the iPod device and thus from the MDI is why it's important the gain level be set to Low (which is line level) on the RCD/RNS device to avoid input distortion (waveform clipping) resulting in horrible nasty sounding music.

Users Country Flag

I'm going to bump this one.

I have a Polo 6R (MY13.5) with MDI. It originally came with an RCD310 but I swapped it to the Bosch RCD510.

The sound quality is disgusting and distorted all the time. My AUX level is on low and my EQ is flat on both the device and the car (although I have tried everything to make it sound better)

I resorted back to the radio...

FYI - It's an iPod classic 120GB 7th Generation.

I read about this pin swap business, that's sorta out of my league. Unless there's someone on here for a case of beer could lend us a hand?

Any input would be appreciated
    I Sell Nissans Skodas.
    IT'S HEREEEEE 18' Skoda Octavia 110tsi Manual Hatch | Race Blue | Tech Pack | Luxury Pack | Panoramic Roof | Turini Alloys | Various VCDS Tweaks | RS Spoiler | Mars Bar Holder
    R.I.P; 13' VW Polo 77tsi Comfortline Manual | Candy White | Sport Pack | Pioneer AVH X3800DAB + Clarion Bass Pack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast