Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MDI ipod distortion

Users Country Flag

MDI ipod distortion

There is an input level adjustment in settings somewhere. Set it to low or mid. Or try restoring the iPod.

MY13.5 Red Polo GTI.
    Sunroof, tint, bi-xenons, LED interior lights
    Last edited by Harrydhillon; 15-07-2014 at 10:41 AM. Reason: submitted before finishing
    Harry
    MY15 RED Polo GTI 6C - with DA Pack

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrydhillon View Post
    There is an input level adjustment in settings somewhere. Set it to low or mid. Or try restoring the iPod.

MY13.5 Red Polo GTI.
    Sunroof, tint, bi-xenons, LED interior lights
    Please see my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by LukePolo View Post
    My AUX level is on low and my EQ is flat on both the device and the car (although I have tried everything to make it sound better)
    I Sell Nissans Skodas.
    IT'S HEREEEEE 18' Skoda Octavia 110tsi Manual Hatch | Race Blue | Tech Pack | Luxury Pack | Panoramic Roof | Turini Alloys | Various VCDS Tweaks | RS Spoiler | Mars Bar Holder
    R.I.P; 13' VW Polo 77tsi Comfortline Manual | Candy White | Sport Pack | Pioneer AVH X3800DAB + Clarion Bass Pack

Users Country Flag

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by chrisr_aus View Post
    I have just picked up a new skoka superb with the equivalent of rns-510. The unit has the mdi attached but the quality of the sound from an ipod is shocking. It is very distorted at all levels. I have ensured the aux input level is low. Have tried various ipods / iphones. When playing the same mp3's via the SD card all is great but the same files via the mdi are rubbish.

I have tried reconnecting the ipod adaptor, made all files on ipod 128kbps AAC lossless or mp3 at 128kbps or 64kbps all are distorted to some degree.

Is this a problem with mdi or am I missing some part of the setup?

thanks

Chris
    I know that I am arriving years after this first post.
    I had the same exact issue with my IPOD 5.5 the generation connected in my Golf VI and it took me years to figure out the problem.
    With experience, after long diagnostic, if you happen to connect via an AUX cable and lower the volume you NOT experience the distortion. SO that put me on the track to solve it.
    Either I force the line out level to some lower using some electronics or .... just rebaseline the tracks level (mp3 or other format).

1) So I went on the second path: I went iTunes, select a song, selec the option, and lower the Volume Adjust slide one step down (center is none, so just one level on the left) and then save the song.
    You can do this operation by selecting all songs at once and change the volume adjust.
    Of course I will take some time to rebaseline all tracks and sync back again to your ipod, and that magically solve the saturation problem.

2) Also on the AUX level input in the car, I adjusted if to the minimum input level. I read that somebody else mentioned it in this thread / post.

So both actions 1 and 2 are required to prevent that saturation.

I am still using my that same iPOD since ages in that same car and I am still enjoying it.

I did another mod, by upgrading the internal HDD to a iflash microsd adapter and now I can enjoy ALAC format (I converted my FLAC to ALAC using XLD on mac and I love it)!

Hope this help if ever anybody is stil experience that saturation issue.
    Cheers,
    Nuvz

Users Country Flag

Fully agree with you on this.
    iPOD sends pure analogue to via the MDI interface.
    Actually I discovered (after years) on how to fix the distortion without doing any physical or electronic mods.
    Try the test with one track where you experience most saturation when listening in your car, as follows:
    - Select the song in your iTunes from your PC or MAC

• In GET INFO, then OPTIONS, modify the volume ADJUST by reducing by one step down (or 2 if needed) and set EQUALISER to NONE.
    • Save and sync the song again to your iPOD

It will implicitly lower the native gain of the song and reduce or eliminate the distortion.
    I happened to cross check this when you plug you ipod via an aux connection and lower the volume on the ipod.
    If this works for you, then you can mass select all songs and perform then lower the VOLUME ADJUST for all songs at once. It will take some time to modify, save and resync.
    FYI, I’m still using my ipod 5th Gen (ipod video with Wolfson DAC) with ALAC, that I converted from FLAC using XLD on Mac.
    My next mod will be to change the internal HDD to a microsd adapter and increase storage.

I know that my proposed solution arrives years after this original post, but I am sure there are still a lot of people still using their ipod via MDI connection.

Hope this helps.

Nuvz

Quote Originally Posted by mythik View Post
    Actually, for iPod connectivity, there is no DAC work done at all by MDI/headunit. That's only for file format connectivity (usb drives / hdds / etc) via MDI. For iPod/iPhone, the line level output from the dock connector using the dac in the device is piped through the MDI device into the headunit directly. This is how it's always been. The MDI device acts as a controller or moderator for interface display on the RCD/RNS.

This line level output from the iPod device and thus from the MDI is why it's important the gain level be set to Low (which is line level) on the RCD/RNS device to avoid input distortion (waveform clipping) resulting in horrible nasty sounding music.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12