Thread: MDI + iPhone 5

Users Country Flag

Exclamation MDI + iPhone 5

Hi all,

I've had a pretty fair look around on both this forum, many others, and google.

I recently bought a 2011 mk6 golf gti with a RCD510 system. It has the MDI interface option installed.

Following the advice, I purchased a 30pin adapter - Lightning to 30-pin Adapter (0.2 m) - Apple Store (Australia).

However, it doesnt seem to work with my phone or any other iphone 5 to playback music. It does however work with the iPod nano (latest gen).

Is there something I am missing? Any help would be great.

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by phant9m View Post
    Hi all,

I've had a pretty fair look around on both this forum, many others, and google.

I recently bought a 2011 mk6 golf gti with a RCD510 system. It has the MDI interface option installed.

Following the advice, I purchased a 30pin adapter - Lightning to 30-pin Adapter (0.2 m) - Apple Store (Australia).

However, it doesnt seem to work with my phone or any other iphone 5 to playback music. It does however work with the iPod nano (latest gen).

Is there something I am missing? Any help would be great.

Cheers
    Presumably you need the same cable that earlier Iphones use as the USB one that comes with the car only charges an Iphone or plays music from a USB stick

Like this one VW Media IN MDI Audi Music Interface AMI Cable Adaptor FOR Ipod Iphone 4 4s Ipad | eBay

Same from a Stealer is about $80
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Presumably you need the same cable that earlier Iphones use as the USB one that comes with the car only charges an Iphone or plays music from a USB stick

Like this one VW Media IN MDI Audi Music Interface AMI Cable Adaptor FOR Ipod Iphone 4 4s Ipad | eBay

Same from a Stealer is about $80
    That's just it. I have the official MDI to iPod connector. And it doesn't want to work :s

The dealer who I bought my new Skoda from specifically told me the MDI wouldn't work with iPhone 5....

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by phant9m View Post
    That's just it. I have the official MDI to iPod connector. And it doesn't want to work :s
    Could be the connector from mini to 30pin is not compatible with MDI

The guy I purchased the car off previously used the same MDI to iPod cable with a 30pin adapter and that worked with even my iPhone 5 when i test drove it

I used the official 30 pin to Lightning cable as well as the adapter version on the RCD510 and my Alpine unit's iPod adapter. Both work with my 5S.

I know third party ones were disabled by Apple from iOS 7 onwards.

Users Country Flag
    Was it the same adapter you have or a similar but different one.

Some are suss apparently I would go back to Apple and ask for a different one or go and see the guy you bought off and maybe buy his or get one identical

Hmm yeah, I might have to go back to the apple store. He used a adapter where as I have the 0.2m adapter. Different adapter, although its legit from apple store. Weird this is that my iPod nano (lightning cable model) works with the new adapter i got.

Users Country Flag

FYI my car is a 2011 MY12 and the iphone 5 worked straight away with MDI and never had any problems. I know this doesn't solve your problem but thought you might like to know. best of luck