Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Map updates - Discover Pro

Users Country Flag

I ended up figuring out how to update my maps to the 2018 maps that came out early this year, by using the service menu (SWDL option)

However today I downloaded the more recent 2018 and I am not able to update, either by the service menu or the conventional method.

Maybe I need a newer firmware or something?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by LimestoneR7 View Post
    Maybe I need a newer firmware or something?
    You either need a new firmware or someone who can check your settings with VCDS or OBDeleven and enable few locked options.

I have the same problem as you. Well, partially, as my "brand new" (demonstrator) Tiguan came with an official VW SD card in slot 1 and I was able to update the latest map (1010) by downloading it separately and copying it onto the SD card.

However I cannot add POIs. I have the same issue like you. I followed the instructions but my Discover unit says I can add POIS with software upgrade and does not see the POIs on the SD card. Odd.

I asked someone to have a look at my VCDS settings and enable few things, that might help. Maybe you should do the same.

Users Country Flag
    I've recently bought a OBD11 but I'm completely unable to access the infotainment unit to activate Traffic Notices and other stuff. Another forum member had advised it is most likely that my retrofitted MIB1 unit was hacked at the time of installation so that it doesn't trip the VW component protection system.

It can be fixed but basically I'd (or really some one who knows what they are doing) have to figure how the infotainment unit was hacked, reverse that if possible and have the unit reinstalled "properly" by a dealer so that the retrofitted unit is registered, seen as not stolen and linked to my VIN. Alternatively I can dispose of the infotainment unit, acquire another one and have that one properly installed from scratch. Either way including installation etc will cost a fair bit of money. If I was going to do all that I may as well sell the car and get a near new R Grid. But I'll just have to live with it. I can supplement any limitations with the GPS with my smartphone.

From what I've been told, if the Obd11 can't read my infotainment unit, VCDS won't either, for the same reason as explained above.. Happy to be proven this is wrong though

Incidently I can now load POIs. It was simply a case of copying the MIB STD directory only to the SD or usb drives. Instructions on this forum and elsewhere had said we copy from a different directory but that may work for MIB2 units only.

In any case I don't get a warning sound for the speed camera POIs which was the whole point of the exercise so it's basically useless.....

Users Country Flag
    Incidently I can now load POIs. It was simply a case of copying the MIB STD directory only to the SD or usb drives. Instructions on this forum and elsewhere had said we copy from a different directory but that may work for MIB2 units only.
    Are you saying that on the SD card under the PersonalPOI directory you have only the MIB2TSD directory, nothing else? Or you only have the MIB2TSD directory, nothing else?

Users Country Flag
    I've recently bought a OBD11 but I'm completely unable to access the infotainment unit to activate Traffic Notices and other stuff. Another forum member had advised it is most likely that my retrofitted MIB1 unit was hacked at the time of installation so that it doesn't trip the VW component protection system.

It can be fixed but basically I'd (or really some one who knows what they are doing) have to figure how the infotainment unit was hacked, reverse that if possible and have the unit reinstalled "properly" by a dealer so that the retrofitted unit is registered, seen as not stolen and linked to my VIN. Alternatively I can dispose of the infotainment unit, acquire another one and have that one properly installed from scratch. Either way including installation etc will cost a fair bit of money. If I was going to do all that I may as well sell the car and get a near new R Grid. But I'll just have to live with it. I can supplement any limitations with the GPS with my smartphone.

From what I've been told, if the Obd11 can't read my infotainment unit, VCDS won't either, for the same reason as explained above.. Happy to be proven this is wrong though

In any case I don't get a warning sound for the speed camera POIs which was the whole point of the exercise so it's basically useless.....
    Need more information.
    It's highly unlikely that an mib1 would be hacked as there would be no point.
    Mib2 are modified to be installed in place of mib1 systems.
    Even then they can be accessed via diagnostics. If it's a discover pro then you need to go into the GEM green engineering menu, disable dab, enable diagnostics then reboot.
    And vcds can access a unit by can address (5f) for infotainment manually where obd11 needs to be able to see it from the canbus gateway installation list.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
    Are you saying that on the SD card under the PersonalPOI directory you have only the MIB2TSD directory, nothing else? Or you only have the MIB2TSD directory, nothing else?
    I only had the sub directory and the single file that are within the MIB2TSD directory, and nothing else, on the card.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Need more information.
    It's highly unlikely that an mib1 would be hacked as there would be no point.
    Mib2 are modified to be installed in place of mib1 systems.
    Even then they can be accessed via diagnostics. If it's a discover pro then you need to go into the GEM green engineering menu, disable dab, enable diagnostics then reboot.
    And vcds can access a unit by can address (5f) for infotainment manually where obd11 needs to be able to see it from the canbus gateway installation list.
    What information would you need? I was advised on another forum that it was likely (but not a certainty) that my MIB1 was hacked, nothing more or less, given that the 5f component group on my Obd11 was inaccessible.

As my car is a MY2015 R it originally had a Discover Media unit with a smaller screen and the GPS ran off a SD card.

Anyway if I go into the engineering menu and make the changes you suggest, would it be then likely that the Obd11 can then access the unit? And if so do I then have to reverse the changes in the engineering menu afterwards?

Users Country Flag
    What is the part number of the unit?
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Device part number is 5E0035020C
    Hardware is H42
    Software is 0389

Users Country Flag

OK that is a Skoda Columbus part number. It's the same as a Discover Pro MIB1...I guess they really wanted DAB.
    So you should be able to enable diagnostics by going into the GEM, disabling DAB and enable diagnostics for next 5 reboots.
    Once you've accessed it via diagnostics you can enable DAB again and it won't be contactable again.
    Last edited by kamold; 12-07-2018 at 09:30 AM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast