Support VWWC

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Map updates - Discover Pro

Users Country Flag

doc_777, well done on completing this!

Kamold has answered one of my questions, it appears that it can not be backed up, just an overwrite.

However you mention that you only downloaded the Aus/Nz update. Did you just selected the individual parts (of the 24) or did you do the full download?

As I did the full download, and can see all the other countries in there also.

Do you just copy onto the SD Card the info that you want?

The SD Card is at 27.1GB with the Full Download...
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    doc_777, well done on completing this!

Kamold has answered one of my questions, it appears that it can not be backed up, just an overwrite.

However you mention that you only downloaded the Aus/Nz update. Did you just selected the individual parts (of the 24) or did you do the full download?

As I did the full download, and can see all the other countries in there also.

Do you just copy onto the SD Card the info that you want?

The SD Card is at 27.1GB with the Full Download...

Hey mate,

When you open the update tool (PC or Mac), you have the option to select whichever regions you want to copy to the SD card - the tool will then download the selected region/s, and install them to the card.

Once the SD card is prepped, remove it from the computer and head out to the car. Turn the ignition on, insert the SD card, and go to the relevant section of the Discover Pro interface (the instruction manual PDF for the update tool is step-by-step). Select "Update", and the car does its thing.

I only INSTALLED the Aus/NZ parts. I had previously DOWNLOADED the entire rest-of-world map package. I since learned that is not strictly necessary, as the update tool will download whichever regions you select itself, as part of its process for prepping the SD card. The VW update tool can be configured to look in a defined location for the previously-downloaded maps. I didn't bother changing the default location and let the update tool download the selected package itself. If you have a slower internet connection, then that process of downloading beforehand might be useful. Wasn't applicable for my circumstances.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for your help / guidance and assistance guys!!!

All sorted

The update on the car took only 25mins to do the full 27.1GB update for the "ROW" updated.

My Version Information is as follows;

VO39598O1EDOO65 ROW 2017/2018 Australia 2017/2018 New Zealand 2017/2018

All works without fault!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    Thank you Kamold and doc_777,

I downloaded the full 27Gb, but it complained when I wanted to install it to a 64Gb SDXC card. So I found an old 32Gb SD card and installed the Australia / New Zealand maps file only. Then I took the SD card in stuck it in SD1 slot and updated my Discover Pro2 maps. That took approx. 5 minutes in car. The map is working fine.

Thank you again.
    David
    Ordered: 2017 build date Tiguan 162 TSI Highline with DAP in Tungsten Silver and rear luggage tray. ETA: late April / Early May. I did not have to wait. I took delivery on 11 March 2017.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Delewin View Post
    I downloaded the full 27Gb, but it complained when I wanted to install it to a 64Gb SDXC card. So I found an old 32Gb SD card and installed the Australia / New Zealand maps file only. Then I took the SD card in stuck it in SD1 slot and updated my Discover Pro2 maps.
    I have a MY2015 R with an updated 8 inch screen and a (I'm fairly certain) MIB1 (also known as Discover Pro?) module with 2 SD slots and a CD/DVD drive. My existing maps are saved on the MIB1, so my car does not work with the original maps on a VW SD card.

I've tried updating my maps several times without success. I think I've tried the process with the car formatted as ExFat and then FAT32.

I've also tried installing speed camera POI's as per the guide here > MIB II - Custom POI's / Speed Cameras etc - Page 6 without success, but that is another story.

I'm pretty computer literate but it's driving me crazy. The maps and the POI's are definitely on the SD cards as I've checked the contents.

With both the map update and the speed camera POI's , my head unit recognises that "something" is in the SD drive as it show a "Software update message", but after searching for some time it always says no update/software etc found.

I've downloaded them (both manually and using the Discover Pro Windows app) from Volkswagen Map & Softwareupdates, and therefore have both copied manual and let the VW Windows app copy the maps to an SD card.

I wasn't given a choice to download just Australia/NZ, only the Non-European Countries selection which includes Australia, so I can't understand how people have modified the countries in the VW app.

I'm using a 64Gb SDXC card (a MicroSD with an adaptor, just in case that is a factor)with FAT32 formatting but the VW app did not did indicate at any time that using this card is a problem.

I know the VW guide says to use a 32GB card and I'm wondering whether my use of a 64GB is a (or the) factor for my updates not working. I was going to try a 32GB card but only have cards of smaller and larger capacities, and I wary of buying yet another card and still have it not work....

Any suggestions or guidance welcome

Users Country Flag
    Hi LimestoneR7

When I updated the maps again this year it took much longer as I went via the non Europe / other maps and it took about 45 minutes to finish the update. I suggest you buy the cheapest 32Gb sd card you can get and try it. Speed is not an issue. Success is.

Good luck.
    David

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Ordered: 2017 build date Tiguan 162 TSI Highline with DAP in Tungsten Silver and rear luggage tray. ETA: late April / Early May. I did not have to wait. I took delivery on 11 March 2017.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Delewin. Unfortunately no luck with a brand new 32GB card.

I didn't format it, allowed the VW app to copy everything across with no error messages, and even remembered by to use the copy protect switch as instructed.

Honestly, if the infotainment unit wasn't so integrated with the car both physically and interface wise I would just ditch it. It sounds very average, wont work with an iPod and even the FM stations presets wont save after if turn it off (I have a separate thread about that..).

I know that soundwise things can be improved with a complete Dynaudio setup that can be retrofitted but that costs a lot to buy and have fitted, but if I can't even update the maps or install POI's myself or have radio stations presets saved, I'm not sure I would bother.

Users Country Flag
    An update. I've found out that to allow maps to be updated, my MIB1 unit needs to be removed and sent away to have a firmware upgrade at great expense. Its so expensive that to get a MIB2 unit wouldnt cost that much more, if you exclude installation. So I more or less have a brick that cannot be updated.

If I knew this would happen I would have been better off stretching for a new new or demonstrator Grid.
    Last edited by LimestoneR7; 12-06-2018 at 11:06 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Hi LimestoneR7

That proverbially s#cks.

We will all hit a brick wall sometime in the future.

My MY17 Tiguan has lots of components that have the ability to be very smart, but in Volkswagen Australia's wisdom they have deliberately chosen not to import the feature as active preferring to activate it in a later release.

That is equally very frustrating.

All the best
    David

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Noticed the VW map update site now has maps dated 3rd April 18 for Discover and 25th April 18 for Discover Pro.

Volkswagen Map & Softwareupdates

Map updates - Discover Pro-maps-vw-april-2018-jpg
    Discover media MIB2 (Golf 7)
    Last edited by Flipper Dog; 23-06-2018 at 11:18 AM.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc 140TSI, Audi Q5 40TDI
    Past VWs- Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast