Thread: Golf mk6 tdi replacement head unit info

Users Country Flag

Golf mk6 tdi replacement head unit info

Hi all, Newbie to this forums. Anyway just picked up a 2011 golf tdi MY12 (missus car) and was looking at options for slowly upgrading the factory headunit and then stereo speakers. Currently it has the RCD310 with BT and MDI and MFD capability. I would like a unit to which we can retrofit a rvc to at a later date and sat nav would be a plus.

Just a couple questions on the head unit side of things -

1. If i was to go to RCD/RNS510 who are the mot reputable sellers on ebay to pick up these units from?
    2. Eonon / Audiosource / Chinese after markets etc. Who are the best and most compatible (BT/MDI/MFD)?
    3. I have seen a kenwood especially designed for the VW mkv/vi on other pages (DNX525DAB UK i think it is) does anyone know if this or similar is available in Australia or of any other good high end third party (Kenwood/Pioneer/Alpine etc) units that integrates seemlesly with the steering wheel controls and/or MFD.

Just trying to sus out costs and plan a budget for this.

Any tips welcome, Cheers in advance.

Users Country Flag
    Howdy,

Quite familiar with the MK6 platform, where I work (Northfield Moorooka) we do these cars quite regularly, we can run you through some options. Happy to chat via PM or you can call.

MR
    MY 13.5 Candy White Polo GTi, with Xenons....
    - Gloss Black roof, Weitec, Whiteline, APR and Harding Performance bits
    - Sound, Mosconi D2 100.4DSP, Mosconi D2 150.2, HAT L6SE Carbon
    List of things to add, custom built subwoofer enclosure by Drivesound

Users Country Flag
    Keeping with keeps the nice OEM look. A RNS510 would be the way to go with version 8 maps. All RNS510 have a camera connection plug. If you dont want NAV and spend less then you would be better off with a RCD510 at half the price or less, just make sure the RCD510 has a camera outlet as not all do. Both RNS and RCD will work with your BT showing phone book on the display etc and work with your MDI etc...PM me if you want me details.
    VOLKSWAGEN TECHNICIAN - 16 YEARS OF PAIN..
    VCDS CODING- FAULT DIAGNOSIS - PRE PURCHASE INSPECTIONS- REPAIRS
    9W2 BT KITS -$300 - 9W7 BT KITS - $450 - CANBUS UPGRADE $150
    BRISBANE / GOLD COAST

Users Country Flag
    I had Euro Car Upgrades (Home page -Euro Car Upgrades) upgrade my head unit to RNS-510 P version, and add 9W7 bluetooth and static RVC to my 2010 Tiguan. They sell all of these items online too, and while more expensive than eBay/Gumtree sellers, at least you know you'll get units setup for Australia and after-sales support. Before I bit the bullet, I was seriously considering the Alpine ILX-077 CarPlay unit, although if I was to fit a CarPlay unit now, I would wait for those that are going to support wireless connections. Anyway, as I understand it, the Alpine units can be connected to the steering wheel controls, but probably not the MFD.
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Users Country Flag
    How much do you want to spend, and what do you want out if it? That is the biggest question, because there are so many different ways you can go.
    MY10 Golf Mk6 103TDI DSG Candy White | Revo Stage 1 ECU Tune | 18" Talladegas | GTI Front/Rear/Exhaust | R LED Taillights | GTI Steering Wheel | VW Discover Media | Focal IFVW Front Speakers | Mk7 Climatronic Panel |

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by moda View Post
    How much do you want to spend, and what do you want out if it? That is the biggest question, because there are so many different ways you can go.
    Moda, probably not more than $800 - 900 all in.

Everyone else thanks for the tips.

I am also wonderng as the BT and aux input is already in our car, will we need to fit other BT and/mdi modules if we replace the 310 for either RCD/RNS 510?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by dno_83 View Post
    probably not more than $800 - 900 all in.
    dno_83, that budget probably won't stretch to an RNS-510, unless it was well used, a very early model or stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by dno_83 View Post
    I am also wonderng as the BT and aux input is already in our car, will we need to fit other BT and/mdi modules if we replace the 310 for either RCD/RNS 510?
    There are a couple of VW BT modules, and they have different functionality. In my opinion, the 9W7 seems to give the best mix of phone and BT audio functionality, but there is a thread in the forum that details each type, so you might to find that and have a read. If your current BT module doesn't have what you want, then you will need to change it. That said, I suspect your car being a MK6 might have a newer module, and possibly a 9W7. In either case, what you already have should work with both the RCD-510 and RNS-510.

There is a difference between the aux port and an MDI. The aux port is just a 3.5mm stereo jack - you can connect nearly all mp3 players and phones, but need to control tracks/playlists from the device itself. You would know if you had an MDI, as you'd need the required VW cable to connect to an iPod/iPhone, but this allows you to control the device from the head unit and steering wheel. I'm not entirely certain (as I didn't research them particularly deeply), but there a few versions of the RCD-510, one of which allows the connection of the MDI and another that allows direct connection of a USB cable. Someone more in the know would be able to clarify that point. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure the MDI will connect to all RNS-510 head units, irrespective of version.

--------

Edit: I see now from your original post that you have an MDI.
    Last edited by arcadelt; 24-04-2015 at 06:51 AM.
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Users Country Flag

Can some times get early rns for 900. I got one for 850.
    VOLKSWAGEN TECHNICIAN - 16 YEARS OF PAIN..
    VCDS CODING- FAULT DIAGNOSIS - PRE PURCHASE INSPECTIONS- REPAIRS
    9W2 BT KITS -$300 - 9W7 BT KITS - $450 - CANBUS UPGRADE $150
    BRISBANE / GOLD COAST