Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf GTI MkVI with Dynaudio - audio upgrade suggestions

Golf GTI MkVI with Dynaudio - audio upgrade suggestions

I picked up my new GTI a few weeks ago; it has a factory-fitted RNS-510 with the Dynaudio Excite package (I believe that consists of a 300w power amp beneath the passenger seat, and decent quality splits front and back). The sound quality is quite nice - particularly the highs and midrange - but the lower frequencies are lacking quite a bit of warmth. As the system doesn't have many hours on it as yet (maybe 30 hours) I'll be waiting at least a couple of months for it to open up before I commit to making any changes.

My initial thinking is a small, tight sub in a sealed enclosure. I'm definitely not after doof-doof bass, and much prefer the idea of nicely integrated, controlled lower frequencies - hence the idea of a sealed sub. I'm very happy with the remainder of the system, and don't really want to replace the existing drivers unless that's clearly the best way - because as I said, I like the mids, and the detail they produce right now. I'm just after a stronger low end.

I'm wondering if anyone else has found the same with their Golf VI + Dynaudio, and/or has any recommendations in terms of mods - sub (brand, spec), amp to drive it (if required), placement and installation options (how to get the signal to the sub, etc), and so on.

I'm also after a recommendation for good car audio installers in Adelaide? I'm pretty fussy with my car and would definitely prefer to have work done by a shop that's experienced and careful.

Thanks for your help!
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

I've got the Dynaudio Excite package in my MK6 Golf and I had the front doors installed with Dynamat sound deadening, and what a difference it has made to the low end bass! I've had to turn the bass down two levels on on the head unit. Highly recommend getting your front doors sound deadened with Dynamat. Really happy with my system now!
    MY20 Golf GTI TCR
    MY20.5 LR Defender P400 HSE

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    I picked up my new GTI a few weeks ago; it has a factory-fitted RNS-510 with the Dynaudio Excite package (I believe that consists of a 300w power amp beneath the passenger seat, and decent quality splits front and back). The sound quality is quite nice - particularly the highs and midrange - but the lower frequencies are lacking quite a bit of warmth. As the system doesn't have many hours on it as yet (maybe 30 hours) I'll be waiting at least a couple of months for it to open up before I commit to making any changes.

My initial thinking is a small, tight sub in a sealed enclosure. I'm definitely not after doof-doof bass, and much prefer the idea of nicely integrated, controlled lower frequencies - hence the idea of a sealed sub. I'm very happy with the remainder of the system, and don't really want to replace the existing drivers unless that's clearly the best way - because as I said, I like the mids, and the detail they produce right now. I'm just after a stronger low end.

I'm wondering if anyone else has found the same with their Golf VI + Dynaudio, and/or has any recommendations in terms of mods - sub (brand, spec), amp to drive it (if required), placement and installation options (how to get the signal to the sub, etc), and so on.

I'm also after a recommendation for good car audio installers in Adelaide? I'm pretty fussy with my car and would definitely prefer to have work done by a shop that's experienced and careful.

Thanks for your help!
    I've got an Mk5 with standard stereo so you're already a step ahead of me with the dynoaudio package but I felt the same way about mine, didn't mind the standard sound but just found it a bit lacking in bass so I added an Infinity BassLink II. Easy to install, takes up little room in the boot and actually sounds fantastic too - not overly doof doofy but certainly adds a nice kick. PM me if you want some photos or hey I'm in Adelaide so we can always catch up if you want a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by poyta View Post
    I've got an Mk5 with standard stereo so you're already a step ahead of me with the dynoaudio package but I felt the same way about mine, didn't mind the standard sound but just found it a bit lacking in bass so I added an Infinity BassLink II. Easy to install, takes up little room in the boot and actually sounds fantastic too - not overly doof doofy but certainly adds a nice kick. PM me if you want some photos or hey I'm in Adelaide so we can always catch up if you want a listen.
    Cheers poyta! My speakers have about 60 hours on them now and are certainly starting to warm up, so I'll hold off a little longer before I commit to any mods. The Basslink looks like an interesting solution though; how did you wire it in? And whereabouts in the boot did you mount it?

I'd recommend getting a small sub and amp to accompany the Dyn package.

The image dynamics ID8 works great in a sealed box, and and amp that provides ~250W would do the trick very nicely. Apparently the highs and mids aren't too bad with the dyn package but could use a bit more bottom end. Would be worth spending a bit more for a nice stealth box too.

Don't know any good shops in Adelaide, perhaps a trip to Phatt Audio Concepts in Melbourne could be the go?
    Last edited by G-rig; 25-07-2010 at 05:20 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by TDiJetta09 View Post
    I've got the Dynaudio Excite package in my MK6 Golf and I had the front doors installed with Dynamat sound deadening, and what a difference it has made to the low end bass! I've had to turn the bass down two levels on on the head unit. Highly recommend getting your front doors sound deadened with Dynamat. Really happy with my system now!
    This sounds well worth while. With perhaps a bonus of less road noise on coarse bitumen?
    Where could I obtain this? Also, any precautions re install in new 118TSI ? (Waiting delivery)

But perhaps a small caution. re air space behind speaker, if damping material reduces this space, (More than, say, 5%) speaker resonance will rise.
    This can appear as an increase in bass by producing a response peak. (One note bass)
    (suggested reading, Vance ****ason, "The loudspeaker design cookbook")

Re considering external sub woofer. I understand Dynaudio use digitally time aligned seperate amps for each individual speaker.
    However, providing care is taken re phasing, and suitable filter for very low bass only, should give excellent result
    MY13 Passat 130TDI Sedan. Autumn Brown Metalic, Desert Beige seats. Sat nav, Rev camera, Dynaudio, 12way adj seats. No ACC Previous Golf 118 TSI with ACC given to my son

The main thing you need is foam to stop the door cards vibrating but some dynamat helps behind the midbass (note that the tweeter is sealed and so was the midrange on the MK5, so dynamat is usually recommended even though it doesn't really help most of the speakers).

I wouldn't take too much notice of 'digital' stock amps, isn't really on the same level as good after market amps and probably similar to the 'premium' amp in the MK5 - it's still made to a price. It's just a fancy crossover..
    Last edited by G-rig; 25-07-2010 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-rig View Post
    I'd recommend getting a small sub and amp to accompany the Dyn package.

The image dynamics ID8 works great in a sealed box, and and amp that provides ~250W would do the trick very nicely. Apparently the highs and mids aren't too bad with the dyn package but could use a bit more bottom end. Would be worth spending a bit more for a nice stealth box too.
    Thanks mate. Just out of interest, can you recommend any powered sealed subs that would suit equally well? I'm just thinking that a single integrated plug-in style solution may be easier. Are there significant cons to this approach?

Incidentally, what would be the best way of getting a signal to the sub? I assume the head unit doesn't have pre-outs, and running cable all that way would have to be expensive as well. Can the sub be driven from the signal sent to one of the rear speakers?

Sorry for the n00b question - what's a stealth box?

Focal make a few powered sub solutions which would be ok to accompany OEM setups, but not exactly high end - you get what you pay for.

Either way they can tap into the signal wires going to the factory amp for your sub signal. Makes it easier having an amp like the ARC Mini's that accept high level (speaker wire) inputs and the monoblock version comes with a sub gain control.. otherwise you may need something like the Audiocontrol LC6i that is an active line converter and has an optional sub gain control knob.

A stealthbox is a fibreglass sub enclosure moulded to fit on the side of the boot taking up less room than an off the shelf box.

Here are two that Northfield Moorooka did for me:

Image Dynamics 8" (ID8 ):

10" version (IDQ10)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    The Basslink looks like an interesting solution though; how did you wire it in? And whereabouts in the boot did you mount it?
    The Basslink is supposed to have hi-level inputs where you can just slice into the rear speaker wires to get an input but it didn't work well for me so I just bought a hi-level to low level convertor from Jaycar- Its essentiallya box that you splice into your rear speaker wires ( easy to find ) and it creates RCA leads. I ran these into the basslink which I mounted in the boot to the side. ( i dont know how to upload photos here otherwise I would upload a photo ) I had to run a power lead from the battery to the boot for power ( also pretty easy ), ground can be anywhere in the boot and signal to turn the amp on I got from the cigarette lighter in the boot. Its 200W RMS of power going to a 10" sub and a 10" passive radiator so its plenty of bass. THe beauty is that you can just unplug it in the future if you sell the car and transfer it into your next car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast