I understand many people have wanted to disable their Golf’s Start-Stop system and that they have done this successfully (most commonly by setting the battery voltage threshold high enough that the system never believes the state of charge of the battery is sufficient).

I want to do more or less the opposite! I find in my Golf R MY18 Manual that the engine restarts too easily. One way this happens is through simply bumping the steering wheel. The other way is if the vehicle in front moved forward by more than a certain amount in a certain time. I have control over the first one (hands off the wheel) but with most other cars being automatics a large number of people like to stop a large distance from the vehicle in front and creep forward causing my vehicle to restart with the message on the radio screen indicating it has done so because the “Vehicle in front drove off”.

I would like to know if anyone knows of a method of keeping the Start-Stop system functioning but preventing the restart modes of steering wheel input and vehicle in front drive off for restarting the engine. I am not sure of all configurations available but I would assume that there would be a vehicle somewhere with Start-Stop but no Radar or Forward Camera so I assume there must be a way of disabling the later. The former may be harder (but is less annoying).

Can anyone with more experience and expertise at this than me help?